Amitriptyline Newby

Hi everyone,

I have a question about amitriptyline. I started on amitriptyline about 8 days ago. I’ve buit up to 30 mg. I’ve noticed my ears stopped ringing and my vision is better. I still feel like I’m on a boat, but not as bad. My ears are still extremely sensitive to sound. For the past two nights I’ve taken ami at 7 pm. I’ve fallen asleep on the couch then woken up at 12 to head to bed. At 12 I noticed the rocking was completely gone. However, when I wake up in the morning the rocking is back. Has something similar happened to anyone else? I think this is a good sign, but I’m frustrated the rocking comes back in the morning. I’m not sure if I just need to wait for the meds to build in my system or if I need to titrate to a higher dose. Any advice or experience with amitriptyline is greatly appreciated.

some symptoms can still sneak through … give it a month and see how it goes … I still had mild sensations of rocking at 20mg, but this fluctuated a lot. In any case you will find that nausea is less or gone and most symptoms are diminished. Great about your ears! Had no effect on mine ;(

Sorry about your ears. I’m still hoping the sound sensitivity goes away. How long did it take for your swaying to go away? I think that’s my worst symptoms now.

I get it on and off very slightly, but nothing like I had it before. Probably 1 month? I’m sure its still there, just masked by the drug.

I’ve been on Amitriptyline for 2 months and at the beginning I used to fall asleep on the sofa too! I realised that if I stay on the sofa and don’t get up when waking at midnight, I have a much better day the following day. The Amitriptyline really kicked in at 50mg and I’m now on 60mg, only having two bad days a week (it used to be constant rocking/feeling like I was on a boat). I recommend keeping a diary of your symptoms to track any changes with different doses

Thanks Louise! Maybe I’ll just go to bed instead of sleeping onow the couch. I didn’t think about it before , but the interruption of sleep might be interfering with my progress. I might be going up to 50. I’m doing really well with no side effects.

Good luck! I sometimes used to faint when I got up from the sofa in the middle of the night, then felt ill the next day, so I think an uninterrupted sleep is the best option!

I’ll second that … a good sleep makes a huuuuuge difference

I completely agree. I think lack of sleep contributed to my symptoms being chronic 7 weeks ago. How did you know when your amitriptyline dose was too high? I took about 40 mg last night and think I may have overdone it.

I went up to 30mg and found my dizziness got worse rather than better, so decided that @20mg I’d found the right dose. I may have achieved better results if I’d persevered with 30mg and I might have overcome the additional dizziness, but given I had more or less eliminated the migraine attacks at 10mg, I decided to stay @20mg.

Maybe I’ll try to push through. I feel like I’m in slow motion lol. Breathing and heart rate are are super slow! So weird.

You’ll be fine … another board member has been on Ami @ 100mg with no issues … but i’m keen to minimise my intake as much as possible so long as I can eliminate as much of the worst MAV symptoms as possible.

Thanks for the advice!

I always got worse for a couple of weeks when I increased the dose of nort. Might be worth sticking with it or trying 25 mg if you’ve still got some dizziness.

Yeah, I have considered that, thanks Scott. I did ask my neuro if the next prescription could be 25mg tablets, which would make it slightly easier to track how much I have left. So you actually managed to eliminate the dizziness with Nori?

It’s funny, but I actually quite like the fact I can still feel some of the symptoms so that I can detect if the underlying condition is getting better or worse.

Hi. Yes the dizziness is under control. Dr Surenthiran said that we won’t know if the brain has healed and the condition is better until we come off of the medication. I know it’s oversimplified analogies he uses bur he says the medication is like a plaster snd it basically just allows the brain to heal underneath. So maybe you’re probably as well going up until the dizziness is under control.

Makes sense Scott. I know for sure its not. I’ve had some odd new symptoms lately. Several spins, one whilst sitting which was unsettling. But tinnitus seems to have got slightly better. Very odd.

Should the meds help with the tinnitus? If you’re getting spins you probably should crank up the dose. I had to until I felt 100%. I’m probably 95% or even more but he thinks that the last bit is down to the meds. We’ll see as I decrease. Obviously it’s up to you you! I’d definitely go up though.

thanks for your encouragement.

I went up to 30mg last night. Feel ok, no dry mouth. I can still feel the fallout from the spinning attack but its definitely better.

Hi Scott, how long did you stay on a dose before you decided to go up? I’ve been titrating rather quickly. I’m up to 40 mg of ami in 2 weeks. I noticed when I go up I’m really tired and my “boat” is a little rockier, but it’s better in 2-3 days. I’m still slightly rocking and very sensitive to fluorescent lights. I was finally able to cook dinner last night, which was a big success considering how I’ve felt in the last 7 weeks. My neuro wants me at 75 MG and according to his titration schedule I should have been there a week ago. Anyways, I’m just trying to decide if I should go ahead and titrate to 50. How long before you were 100% again? TIA