Another Ibuprofen question

I read on another topic that Dr. Hain suggests people use Ibuprofen for vertigo/dizziness. Do any of you know why this helps? I have found that it is very helpful to me when I am have an especially bad ā€œcarsick headache.ā€ I guess I am wondering if the fact that ibuprofen helps this does that mean I am more likely to be suffering from MAV rather than MM? or does it mean absolutely nothing as it isnā€™t the actualy vertigo I am having when I take this so I donā€™t even know if ibuprofen helps the vertigo and when I do have a vertigo attack I doubt I would take Ibuprofen but would grab the valium/meclizine/promethazine.

Hope Iā€™m making sense.

I guess I assumed it was because of itā€™s anti-inflammatory properties, which is the same way some of the preventatives work.

Hain said to me NSAIDs are ā€œhighly effectiveā€ for dizziness and headache, you just need to keep the use down to 2-3 times a week in order to protect yourself from a rebound reaction.

Julie

Julie, Thank you for your answer.

Do you know if ibuprofen helps at all with the dizzy feeling that comes with Meniereā€™s? Or does it only help the dizzy feeling of MAV?

In trying to research this I read that one of the side effects of ibuprofen is water retention. Since Iā€™m on a diurectic this makes things rather counter-productive wouldnā€™t you say?

thatā€™s an excellent question - i have no idea if it would help Meniereā€™s - youā€™d have to try it to find out. I find that I have to take a decent amount - at least 600 mg - for an effect.

is 600mg safe? Iā€™ve only used 400mg from time to time. It does help bring my ā€œlevelsā€ of rocking down a notch. It doesnā€™t help as much when the rocking already is low (like today - very low).

Does Hain use it for other types of dizziness than MAV? I wonder as Iā€™m still unsure of what I have (though symptomwise itā€™s mdds mostly + some mav stuff)

/ mikael

The safety of NSAIDs is another story. I was going to ask Hain ā€œ2-3 times a week at what dosageā€ but we got to gabbing and i didnā€™t have my list of questions in front of me, so i forgot. Next time I talk to him, i promise, I will do it.

Not that this means a thing, really, but itā€™s approved, by Rx for up to 800 mg twice a day. when I, by accident (i mis-read the bottle) took 1000 mg once, i became absolutely still (and I had driven 3 hours). I wouldnā€™t do that again, itā€™s a drug with risks, iā€™m just giving you information.

iā€™ll get back to you after I talk to Hain again in 6 weeks.

JJ

This is strange as I had a headache , small one today and took one 200mg of Ibuprofen and my waves seems to calm down do you all think this could be helpful or was it just coincidence.

I have to be careful using them because of my stomach but if I could take a low dosage to help manage them that would be great.

Timeless-

No, its not coincidence. It works.

Kim

I wonder why it doesnā€™t seem to help me with my vertigo episodes. It does work well for my mild/moderate headaches. Maybe itā€™s good that it doesnā€™t help, or I would be eating them like candy to feel better and would then end up with kidney problems. Iā€™m glad it works for some people, though. That sounds like a quick, easy fix for a temporary break from the torture.

Marci

Yes, as discussed here before, its a wonderful thing for those it works for. But as with any med, there are consequences if used in excess of moderation.

I just took 400 mg of ibuprofen for a headache above my eye and my constant feeling of being on a boat is almost diminished. This makes me wonder if I have VM , MAV? Doctors diagnosed me with ā€˜hydopsā€™. Donā€™t think thatā€™s it. I have no clue what the hell is going on with me. I have arm weakness, tinnitus, boat rocking, nausea, leg spams, twitches, tremors. What a nightmare.

Iā€™ve had all those symptoms except arm weakness (I had leg weakness and restless legs). Ibuprofen never really helped me though, Aspirin helps a bit. Are you on a migraine-specific diet?

Iā€™ve dabbled, but now after seeing the profound impact ibuprofen has on me, Iā€™m going all in on the HYH diet.

1 Like

Same here! I took 400 mg for a headache above my eye and 30 minutes later I felt the constant dizziness subside almost completely. I was like holy hell, I havenā€™t felt this calm in a year!

Iā€™m wondering the same thing. My guess is that ibuprofen would only help with MAV dizziness. MM vertigo seems unlikely to be helped ibuprofen. Iā€™m no Dr., this is purely based off my year of research and just a hunch. I would love to know the real answer to this as well.