Anybody tried Platelet Rich Plasma Injections?

I’m forever out on the bleeding edge and probably years too soon with this question, but since I’ve been offered it as a treatment option, I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask. Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying platelet rich plasma injections in their neck (cervical spine) as a way to decompress the vertebrae and reduce migraines?

I was looking at it when I first got sick when they thought it was Ménières. Dana White head of the UFC flew to Germany to get it done (injected into ear not cervical spine) but on closer inspection it was 10k at the time and it needs repeating. There was hype at the time about it but it went very quiet.

I figured if anyone would know, you would.

I was afraid of that answer. The actual locations for me are all lumbar spinal, pelvic and abdominal. The price tag is less expensive though still a low miles used car. And it looks like it’s my only available remaining option without just throwing my hands up and embarking on an OxyContin addiction. But if it works, we could do cervical, too. I’m a buffet of maladies. Start anywhere.

Is it being offered as a copay on insurance or is it private? And what does an American used car go for? 5k?

I’ll have another look at it but the trail went dead on this Dana guy. Old videos showed him talking about deafness, vertigo etc pre-procedure but not much after. He said he had Ménières, which is why I found it at the time.

Insurance will pay for office visits, except for the co-pay. The remainder of the procedure is private. It’s all considered experimental, so insurance won’t cover it. They’ll cover surgery but not this less invasive, lower risk procedure. I don’t know what a cervical treatment would be. I’m saving that for later if the other areas work out. I’m guessing based on the quotes I have for the other areas of concern that this doctor would charge in the $3-5k range for the cervical treatment. Right now my cash quotes are running in the $8-15k range cash but like I said, my case is complicated in every way it could be.

1 Like

I’m curious about the neck since you mentioned cervical spine – how big of an influence is a tight, weak neck in migraines?

The chiropractor would tell you it has a huge influence. The PRP doctor said the same.

I thought Dana had intertymphanic injection of steroids for Menieres.

No, it was PRP. The clinic he went to was in Düsseldorf, which is ‘just up the road’ from where I am.

2 Likes