Anyone become less dizzy but more headaches?

Now on 40mg of Nortriptyline, and really noticed it has helped massively on the dizzy/off balance side (which is great) but have noticed an increase in headaches - on day 3 of a headache at the mo which i havent experienced in the past - i might get several headaches a month, but only lasting a day - anyone else experienced this?
thanks

Yep. Mine seems to change every few months. Right now Iā€™m on a 21 straight day headache! Dizziness is very mild.
Before it was moderate dizzyā€™s with lil or no headache. Then it moved on to mild dizziness and headaches going up to 2 weeks.
21 days is too much and Iā€™m a little scared. Im on 10mg of nortrip. for past year. I just started coming off 3 days ago. Per Dr. Hain.
As the verapamil seemed to be helping. 2 months no headacheā€¦ now 21 days!!!

I too am on 40mg Nori and seem to have no headaches for several weeks then I get one that lasts several days just like you describe. I have one now which started on Weds afternoon/evening. I took aspirin yesterday but it didnā€™t shift it and today it is still there but not as bad. Like you, I used to get headaches but they didnā€™t last more than a day before and usually went after 2 nurofen. I wonder if itā€™s the Nori, thought it was meant to prevent migraines?!! x

When I first tried Amitriptyline, it made me wake up every single morning with a nasty headache. I lasted 3 weeks on the med, but I just couldnā€™t handle the headaches. I didnā€™t stick the med out long enough- try to stay at your current dose for awhile and see if they go away eventually? If it were me I would take a headache any day over my constant imbalance- but everyone is different.

Brian- how long have you been at the 40 mg for? How long did it take to start helping your dizziness? Does it help your balance/walking a lot? When I got to 75 mg of nortriptyline, it was super sedating- but i stayed at that dose for about 3 weeks and then all the sedation went away- so might be worth sticking it out.

thanks everyone - i have been at 40mg for about 6 weeks, and i would rather the headache over hte dizzies so i am not complaining, just find it so erratic!! Probably taken about 3-4weeks to have proper effect.
As i say, i prefer a headache to the dizzies but just ā€˜getting my headā€™ around! the changing symptoms!

do you feel like it consistently helps your dizziness- like have you had mostly really good days since being on it? you said you find it erratic- is your dizziness up and down, or were you talking only about the headaches?

i wonder if maybe your dr. could add something else that might help with the headaches???

Hi Brian, when I increase medication I get pressure headaches and nosebleeds (gabapentin), when Iā€™m leveled out or less dizzy for whatever reason then I get more normal headaches (which makes sense, if the medication is controlling the dizziness which is an ā€œuber migraine/headacheā€ then it is a headache just on the normal scale of things!) When Iā€™m dizzy I rarely get headaches - follows the theory of being dizzy only being an ā€œuber headacheā€ - canā€™t have a headache ontop of a headache! :mrgreen:

Do you have a target dose to reach on the nortriptyline or are you just staying at 40mg for the time being? x

When i first started amitriptyline i had headaches every day which iā€™d never had before - itā€™s a side effect of both nori and ami - stick with it - you should get used to it soon! So amazing itā€™s helping with the dizziness, wish i was the same!

I woke with a hangover head with Ami, every morning, because I slept so well on it! Seems the name of the game with this crap that you are either dizzy or have a bad head. Once I get a bad head, the dizziness goes. Often after the bad head, I get a bad vertigo attack.

Christine

I am now on day 3 of a migraine too. It is horrible, I am worrying whether this is a new symptom or whether the Nori is causing it. I upped a couple of weeks ago to 40mg so itā€™s not like I have just gone up. I have never had one headache last so long x

Day 3 ā€¦ WEll Im on day 22. Does anyone have headaches this long!?? My norm since May is 9-16 days. Now its been 22.
Half the day is pain, the other half is tightness in my scalp. And guess what, I too feel a little less dizzy. They take turns I swear.

If you are still getting daily migraines maybe the nortrip dose is not high enough. Looking back at my diary my daily headaches didnā€™t reduce significantly until I got to 50mg. It wasnā€™t until I switched to Prothiaden and got up to 100mg that they reduced significantly. Just a thoughtā€¦
Barb

Has anyone had increase in headaches since starting meds? I always had some headaches prior but seem to be getting worse, as soon as I wake up to when I go to bed, just constant tightness, itā€™s horrible. Then Iā€™ll have a really bad bout of headache tightness every few days. Iā€™m following the diet, getting enough sleep etc so donā€™t understand why Iā€™m still getting headaches every day.

Headaches comes in cycles with me. Some weeks Iā€™ll have them bad and I feel theyā€™ll never go away. Other weeks Iā€™m headache free but more dizzy. My menstrual cycle plays a big part. Maybe you need to adjust your meds. Headache are awful

I definitely have head pain every day and it varies in severity. Iā€™ve got to wait another 3 weeks before I up my meds, Iā€™m currently on 1.5mg Pizotifen so Iā€™ll go to 2mg if need to in a few weeks.

I had headaches and MAV for several months before the meds worked. I had one of my worst headaches ever when I built up to 1.5mg of Pizotifen a few years ago - I posted on here about whether I should use an abortive. I felt really down that after 3 months the meds just werenā€™t cutting it. I think the dose of pizotifen FOR ME wasnā€™t high enough yet. I ended up on 4.5mg. You need to reach a therapeutic dose of the med you are taking for you and give a drug some time to see if it is a good fit for you. Do you think the headaches are a side effect of the drug? If the side effects of a drug are too bad after giving it a good go Iā€™d try to get a different med - there are lots to try.

1 Like

Not sure if itā€™s a side effect, I was getting headaches before anyway but theyā€™re a different type of headache now but when I suggested this to Dr S he said this happens to a lot of people as the brain starts to heal youā€™ll get different sensations etc so not sure how true that is? However I have been very cold recently too not sure if thatā€™s a side effect, I get chills quite a lot in my head and body.