Anyone tried microdosing psilocybin?

Good Day,
I am curious if anyone has tried psilocybin in any shape or form for migraine relief?
Recent research seems to suggest that there can be a benefit in migraine reduction when microdosing psilocybin.
With its legalisation for medical purposes here in Australia this year, I am wondering if its worth trying?

i would not do this – psilocybin has made many people’s chronic dizziness worse. its unproven and there are likely many, many better things you can do before even thinking about resorting to something like this

2 Likes

I have tried microdosing. I haven’t noticed a difference. Everyone responds differently, but it at least has not exacerbated the migraines when I’ve tried using psilocybin for rescue versus prevention

Agree 100% I have tried this as well as marijuana and for me neither was a good experience.

1 Like

Thanks for the your experiences.
I think I will try other meds first before going down this route.

The thing about psilocybin is that it reduces blood volume delivery to certain critical areas of the brain that forces brain cells to enter into a state of survival-stasis that ultimately leads to neurite outgrowth and a “rewiring” of some cortical areas of the brain. I don’t think “rewiring” is ultimately what a lot of people need and indeed has the potential to make many worse.

also anything that reduces blood volume to the brain will cause dizziness in some fashion – cannabis is the same way for MAV in this regard. Many try it but most if not all report that it makes them worse, probably due to this common effect.

this is a very complex field but here is a citation for my claims regarding psilocybin and bloodflow:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-44153-z

indeed if you look at WHERE the bloodflow disturbances are most prominent, one of the areas is the parietal lobe of the brain, which can be involved in MAV in many individual cases

Thanks Sheepdog, thats super interesting. I was coming from the serotonin angle rather than the rewiring which seems to be quite beneficial for PTSD people.

The cannabis side note is actually an eye opener for me. As someone who tried it few times, I found it always accompanied by strong dizzyness and though it was due to low blood pressure. But it makes much more sense that I actually induced my migraine. Learned something new there thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

something strange for vestibular migraine that works in the shortterm is alcohol. as a depressant, alcohol slows down nerve transmissions in the brain and can actually help dizziness IN THE SHORT TERM. The next day, however, there is a rebound INCREASE in brain excitability that makes migraine WORSE – this can lead to increased migraine frequency and one reason, of many why alcohol is a migraine trigger.

I am saying this not to ENDORSE the use of alcohol in migraine disorders but to highlight how the pharmacology impacts the physiology of the disorder. DO NOT drink alcohol to treat your dizziness – it will make you worse.

its funny that you should mention serotonin because it also brings up a good point – when it comes to these neurochemicals, they interact with the vascular system. so there is no independent alteration of serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, whatever else without also affecting cortical hyperexcitability, the vascular system, and a whole host of other things. the interconnectedness of all these small tweaks that you can make to the brain and the massive downstream consequences of them are part of why truly understanding the brain from a mechanistic point of view is so challenging