Anyone with dizziness/balance problem while on couch / bed

Lately I have been feeling very off-balance when sitting on a compliant / soft surface. Sitting on the couch, a bed, an cushioned chair, etc. is difficult for me. Anyone else with similiar problem?

Anything that moves at all is a problem for me… so yep.

I was like Tranquility in the past in that I needed a stationary object to sit on. Oh, and don’t let the kids start jumping because that would send the world all over the place.

Regarding the soft surfaces, I have never really had a problem with that, but if you stop and think about how the balance system works, it makes sense. Your balance is made up of three systems, your inner ears, your vision, and muscle tension throughout your body. With MAV, the data from your ears and possibly your eyes isn’t the most realiable for balance as we all know. Forgetting the eyes, your ears aren’t providing the proper info, so your body reverts to working off of your eyes, and muscle tension, which it should do OK with. Now, when you sit, lay or stand on a soft surface you screw up the way your muscles have to work to hold you up straight and your brain starts getting more bad balance data. So now you are left with your eyes only for balance info, and they can be trained to provide more balance info than they do, but for the most part, the just tell your brain up from down, not if you are leaning one way or the other.

Putting this all together, if you are having problems on soft surfaces, check your posture to make sure that you are sitting straight, and that other parts of your body aren’t leaning to ones side or the other.

Brian

I sit on a couch everyday that is older and more stern , plus I put a firm pillow behind my back and one of those neck pillows behind my head to sorta balance my body I guess is the best way to describe it , it seems to work better than just sitting on a soft couch.

Plus I feel better with something on my sides or a book or the laptop in my lap as opposed to nothing…I know that sounds weird but it works for me. My husband said I am eccentric about everything I do but if it makes me feel better so what! :mrgreen:

— Begin quote from “Timeless”

…said I am eccentric about everything I do but if it makes me feel better so what! :mrgreen:

— End quote

I here you there, I just wish that people would accept that we have to do things differently than them.

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

— Begin quote from “Timeless”

…said I am eccentric about everything I do but if it makes me feel better so what! :mrgreen:

— End quote

I here you there, I just wish that people would accept that we have to do things differently than them.

— End quote

NO KIDDING! This is by far one of my biggest irritants with this disease: people (people being mostly my parents; few people know what I’ve really got) not fricking understanding. Heck, it’s not just that they don’t understand, or accept it, they don’t really believe I have it, either. Nor do they believe you can have headaches every day. Argghh.

The invisible nature of this illness, can be as challenging as the symptoms itself. As hard as my family/friends try to understand, others really cannot. IT is such a difficult illness for people to get.

One of the biggest thing is when unloading the dishwasher he can be very noisy and I just put my hands over my ears and walk out of the room.!!!

He really does understand and I do not know where I would be without his support , it has been a learning curve for him , too but we are getting there everyday.

Even he has become more sensitive to the smells not because they bother him but he knows how much they effect me…so when we go out he always says make sure you have your mask, and he has actually told people in the doctors office I need to be removed from the waiting area because of smells, perfumes m scents they have in the office.

I think we are so much more sensitive to everything…as my ENT explained people with this sensitivity to everything is 10 times that of a normal person. His wife suffers from this so he knows first hand.

Timeless,

It sounds like we both have caring and loving spouses. My wife does some of the same stuff, reminding me that doing “xyz” might cause me problems, making sure that I take some valium with me, reminding me of triggers and telling me that it will be my own fault when I ignore my triggers. She is so good at helping me remember my limitations.

Brian