Benefit from exercise?

Hi all,
Since this started, I have now worked myself up to working out about 6 days a week. I found that every time I exercised it relieved my dizziness for a short while after and gave me increased energy, so getting my stuff together and hitting the gym/sports classes was a no brainer :wink:
Hey, these days Iā€™m more fit than I ever was before in my 32 years.
Even if I sometimes felt dizzy in the gym, I just rolled with it and kept moving. After a while I just got used to all the machines and noise.
I was on Nort for about 4-5 months, it didnā€™t do much apart from make my hands cold and me a little drowsier in the morning. Iā€™m not against medication but I feel like you should pursue the stuff that your body tells you works, and for me thus far that seemed to be exercise.
Iā€™m not at all cured, but Iā€™m definetly better than half a year ago.
Who else here has had benefit from exercise as a step towards or complete recovery?

Yes exercise has been very beneficial to me too, at least as much as all the meds Iā€™ve tried and am still taking, though a recent dose increase in Gabapentin has also helped further in decreasing my headaches.
Iā€™m also exercising about 6 days a week and although I need a rest day my symptoms are often worse for it. Iā€™m also probably fitter now than Iā€™ve ever been and recently taken up rowing too to add some variety. Itā€™s interesting that although I prefer outdoor exercise I find just going to the gym just as effective, so itā€™s definitely the exercise itself that the main contribution rather than the fresh air/peace and quiet/ relaxation etc of being outdoors. Iā€™m at the stage now that after exercise I usually feel completely normal for a few hours, but also often feel better the next morning after exercising the evening before even if my headache has returned before I go to bed, so thereā€™s some longer term benefit too.

For me aerobic exercise reduces my headaches, probably because of the endorphines and the anti-inflammatory effect of exercise.
But strength training of the trapezius muscle is also very good and perhaps the most effective for me. Some research indicates this as well. If you are well enough to do some handstanding this can cure your migraine almost completely. Be aware though not to over do it. If you push the wagon to much up the hill it might fall down on the other sideā€¦

Anyone with this condition the bare minimum you need to do is make sure you are eating a healthy diet, moving the body each day and getting 8 hours sleep each night

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œBall123ā€

For me aerobic exercise reduces my headaches, probably because of the endorphines and the anti-inflammatory effect of exercise.
But strength training of the trapezius muscle is also very good and perhaps the most effective for me. Some research indicates this as well. If you are well enough to do some handstanding this can cure your migraine almost completely. Be aware though not to over do it. If you push the wagon to much up the hill it might fall down on the other sideā€¦

ā€” End quote

Interesting, Iā€™ve never heard about the trapezius muscle thing but have certainly noticed that any exercise that involves the shoulders and/or raising the hands above the head to be very good, which is probably mobilising this muscle. Generally I find weights/strength training to be as good as aerobic exercise for my headache.

Yes, exactly. Anything where you lift something over the head is good. At least for me. Thatā€™s the Trapezius muscle working. Actually, all kinds of neck muscle training also works for me. I guess it numbs the nerves or somethingā€¦

Thatā€™s interesting. Where did you come across research that indicates this? Iā€™ve been doing lots of weights which involves that muscle so might be part of the solution.

I am also the fittest Ive ever been since having migraine. I no longer get diziness I started using a tampoline and working out and found it just disappeared after a while although I suffer with continous pressure/tension type headaches and a weird vibrating feeling in my head. I run 4 days a week outside 5k or more and do yoga once a week. I find sometimes my headache pressure goes a little worse but then settles after. Increased exercise seems to have had no effect on improving my migraine.
Maybe we all got migraine to make us exercise more! There seems to be no other useful answer to having to suffer with this stupid condition. Iā€™m currently having accupuncture and Iā€™m on my second session. I think accupuncture is a load of baloney! However, Iā€™m willing to give it six sessions and then it will be just another thing I tried that didnā€™t work. I guess itā€™s a case of seek and ye shall findā€¦eventuallyā€¦

I canā€™t even walk to the corner unassisted most days, so unfortunately exercise is out for me. I miss it.

Janet, even when I couldnā€™t walk without holding on to something or someone I still could lift or push or squeeze. This sure didnā€™t keep me in the shape Iā€™d been in, but it might be worth your while to explore.

I started serious exercise to try and manage my symptoms and havenā€™t looked back - I still need meds, but exercise gives me another 5-10% I reckon and Iā€™ll take it - apart from being the fittest Iā€™ve ever been. I find on a bad day if I can just get toe the gym and start, within 5 mins I will be doing better - happens 95% of the time. Iā€™ve taken up cycling too and have managed as far as 86km, which is amazing considering how unfit I was before :lol: . I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and cycle once so do something every day and it helps with both symptoms and mood. Like others I have had real benefits from strength training in the upper body

I admit I am envious! I am hoping to get to a point where exercise can be a part of my life on a regular basis again. Since waling unassisted can be a challenge much of the time, walking is out. I am nowhere near any classes or anything. I do some chair yoga now and again, and during the last 2 weeks of good days I did go for nice long walks. Should get back to that level again (keeping fingers crossed that this is only a minor setback due to a cold) then I can hopefully start long slow walks again.

My goal is to be able to join a gym by the new year!!

Janet

I workout daily but Iā€™m wondering if exercise has opposite effect on me? That it worsens my condition?

janet can u walk outside with a cane or a walker? are u currently using anything like that to help u walk?

Has anybody tried really hard circle training. The kind of training where you do different exercises after each other with very short rest in between? It has effect on me. It can both trigger a headache but also reduce many of my symptoms. Now I am too ill to try it but it would be interesting to hear if this kind of intense training has had any effect on someone else here.

I think it is the combination of strength training during very high heart rates that gives the effect. Just very high heart rate, during aerobic training doesnā€™t give me the same effect. Nor strength training alone.

If you try it, be careful though so you donā€™t hurt yourself or trigger the worst headache of your life or similar. Just like with meds, increase the dosage slowly from time to time;).

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œBall123ā€

Has anybody tried really hard circle training. The kind of training where you do different exercises after each other with very short rest in between? It has effect on me. It can both trigger a headache but also reduce many of my symptoms. Now I am too ill to try it but it would be interesting to hear if this kind of intense training has had any effect on someone else here.

I think it is the combination of strength training during very high heart rates that gives the effect. Just very high heart rate, during aerobic training doesnā€™t give me the same effect. Nor strength training alone.

If you try it, be careful though so you donā€™t hurt yourself or trigger the worst headache of your life or similar. Just like with meds, increase the dosage slowly from time to time;).

ā€” End quote

Iā€™ve recently started a rowing fitness class that involves what would mostly be described at circuit training, a combination of strength and high cardiovascular exercise. So far I have found this the most beneficial exercise Iā€™ve done so far, the high intensity cardio seems to really add something. I usually feel really good the day after it too.
Iā€™m going to try a kettlebell exercise class tonight which should provide a similar workout, hopefully it will be similarly beneficial.

At this point, I am working to build up my lap swimming again, to restore my wind primarily and to put me back in shape secondarily. Using a short pool, 25 yards. I have to swim slowly and stop at each half lap, at least at the beginning of my workout, with every stroke. (I do sets of mixed strokes.) Especially if I swam a bit quickly, albeit still aerobically, when I reach the end of the pool/my half-lap I have to spend a minute or two stretching just in order to restore my mental clarity. I feel very vulnerable. Yet Iā€™m strongly drugged and very careful of food triggers. Maybe this is more true when the weather is migrainey. Still, Iā€™m very leery of taking on regular out-of-the-home work as a result. Okay, Iā€™m up to half a mile at most, but this takes me at least an hour. Pfui/so it goes/damn it.