binoculars and magnifying glasses

Curious to know if anyone else has problems using binoculars and magnifying glasses. The use of either one, even for 5 seconds makes me extremely ā€œcarsick.ā€ I love the outdoors and nature in general and more specifically bird watching - now that is out unless Iā€™m looking a birds a mere 15 feet away.

1 Like

FWIW, my varifocals give me a slight ā€˜odd feelingā€™ when looking from one extreme direction (up) to another (down). I think the brain struggles once you have a vestibular deficit. Itā€™s nothing like as extreme a reaction that you talk about and only notice it occasionally.

Unfortunately the pre-MAV me didnā€™t have varifocals, so there is a possibility itā€™s entirely the glasses fault, but I suspect not!

1 Like

Yep. I used to go birdwatching and also Iā€™m a photographer nearly all outside photography work. All impossible with MAV or probably any severe balance disorder. Brain too visually dependent. Needs vision, general vision for balance. No spare capacity to incorporate changes needed for visual equipment. Often with balance issues just eyes being able to focus on horizon keeps people upright when al else falters. You can try a single lens, hand-held telescope. Might be better. Might also be worth checking your eyes for misalignment with hospital eye doctor. Unlikely but possible cause. With an existing history of balance issues itā€™s far more likely IMHO to be coming from the balance disorder as above. After typing this I really noticed the ā€˜magnifying glassā€™ reference. Another point. Dysfunctional brains take much longer to adapt to sudden extreme changes in magnification than other brains. New prescription glasses have just recently knocked my balance and caused me motion sickness feelings for nearly a week before my brain got used to them. I know itā€™s not possible to use a magnifying glass constantly for such a long period but if you can stick it out longer your eyes may adjust. If you can tolerate it long enough for them to fully refocus. I wear bifocals since long before MAV but recall being told to go to single use lens. Somehow I think that would give me the same symptoms. Brain wouldnā€™t tolerate the wider variation. Helen

4 Likes

If Iā€™m ever the slightest bit ā€˜offā€™ with the MAV I get that every time I move my eyes.

I was extremely surprised your brain accepted the Varifocals at all. I think that only goes to show your MAV symptoms came from a now virtually recovered ear injury and you arenā€™t a True, died in the wool, MAVer really. In fact youā€™ve probably been lurking under false pretences all along! Shame on You! Helen

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: A word about putting people in boxes.

I would guess this isnā€™t a common symptom then, based on receiving few responses. Iā€™m in the middle of a large project transcribing letters and diaries from 100+ years ago and it is near impossible to do without the use of a magnifying glass, but for me itā€™s near impossible to do with one. Iā€™m amazed when I see people bird watching without a problem, Iā€™m in awe wondering how can they do that.

Since this doesnā€™t seem to be a common symptom, maybe my problem is something other than MAV. I had an extremely thorough eye exam earlier this year, other than possible early glaucoma everything was pretty much normal. Not sure if a misalignment would have shown in this exam but it was very thorough.

1 Like

No, itā€™s a super common MAV symptom. Itā€™s just the weekend. And Motherā€™s Day in the US. The idea of using a magnifying glass, microfiche, binoculars, bifocals, or a telescope with all that shifting of head position and focus makes me nauseous to even think about. Smart phones, screens and TVs are hard enough. Iā€™m sure a lot of us feel that way, if not the vast majority. I know I donā€™t normally respond to this sort of post because the thought of it can bring me to a bad spot. Itā€™s like when others put up pictures of scotoma. Why expose myself to a trigger?

2 Likes

Bookworm, I absolutely have the same issue. Although I donā€™t use a magnifying glass, I do wear cheaters to read and work on the computerā€¦ when I look up from my computer at someone who has summoned me at my office I get all kinds of dizzy feeling. I have to remember to take my glasses off first, which I tend to forget.
I also love competitively shooting guns, I have not been able to use a scope on my rifle since MAV.

Reneeā€™, how do you handle the noise? I wore earplugs and sunglasses to the symphony yesterday and walked in with Fioricet in my system. (Because the last time all the visual noise of our gorgeous theater, milling crowd, smell of the ink in the programs, perfume, watching the strings move up and down and the uneven impact on my ears from sitting too close to the wall gave me the nauseous dizzies so bad it took days to recover.) If I canā€™t handle Wagner from the mezzanine, how can you shoot a rifle?

1 Like

Hi Emily, the symphony sounds so much scarier to me than shooting :laughing:I didnā€™t shoot for about 12 months, but started with being an observer with my electronic noise cancelling headphones, then moved slowly back into shooting. The electronic noise cancelling headphones are miraculousā€¦ they literally shut out any noise above a certain decibel but allow you to hear low level sounds. I also think a big one for me is that when I am shooting, I know what to expect and when, so my brain isnā€™t suprised. I mean, I literally cannot handle when my husband uses the ice dispenser in his Yeti metal cup but can handle shooting with my noise cancelling headphones no problem :smiley:

1 Like

Ha! Ok, so I need noise cancelling headphones for the symphony. I already look like a freak. Might as well go whole hog. I LIKE the symphony. I was in choir for most of my educational years including college. I usually forget to listen to the music and just sort of drift. I run a business and have two teenagers in my house. I donā€™t get much chance to drift in my own thoughts. Thatā€™s worth the price of admission, unless MAVā€™s being a dick.

Not that itā€™s related to anything at all, but I was born in Springfield, MO. My dad was attending the Baptist Bible College. Iā€™ve lived rural more often than not. My husband set up a little range for his pellet rifle in our basement. But he grew up on 40 acres of Everglades swampland so what did I expect? Yesterday, before the symphony, my husband and I rode his motorcycle down to a greasy spoon, then kayaked on the Foss Waterway in Tacoma then went all cultural. (Cultural if you count the flask of whiskey he produced from some jacket pocket and sipped on all during Ode to Joy. God I love that man.)

1 Like

I wear bifocals, the bottom part is very helpful for computer work but because I have to crane my neck backwards too far to see out of the bottom i take them off (I have a BAD neck, very painful). My doctor gave me a prescription for the entire glass to be for close up which is much more comfortable on my neck, no more craning. BUT that didnā€™t even last a day as I did what you did and looked up without taking them off. I felt so sick for the rest of the day, nearly had to leave work.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to know Iā€™m not alone, not that I want others to suffer though. Funny (well, not really funny, but interesting) that you say the thought of it can bring you to a bad spot, because just the thought of a lot of things can bring me to a bad spot. Therefore my doctor tells me that since I am able to make myself feel motion sickness just by thinking about it, itā€™s all from anxiety, no physical cause for my problem. So frustrating, as I know it is not anxiety.

1 Like

Nope, your doctor hasnā€™t a clue.

1 Like

I totally get it! I canā€™t use the bifocals for the same reason of craning my neck. Iā€™ve had neck issues since 3 car accidents really messed my neck up and of course the typical MAV neck ache which seeems so common. Visual triggers are probably the most maddening since there seems to be no ā€œsureā€ escape from them.

Emily, you & I and our hubs would get along great! We live rural but I work in the city, love coming home every day. I travel to LA and NYC fairly often for work and canā€™t wait for my rural life when I get back home :blush: It amazes me that you can ride the motorcycle! Iā€™ve not even thought of trying since MAV. Maybe someday soon Iā€™ll try it out! I love it that you power through so much and refuse to let MAV steal your joyā€¦ itā€™s what we absolutely must do!

It does help considerably my husband Kevin got me back rest (bitch seat) and some stylish biking gear. And Iā€™ve gotten kinda fat so Iā€™m sort of wedged in there like a tick behind him. God bless that man for thinking a big woman taking up all the room is luscious. But, Iā€™m not as dizzy as I used to (please God, donā€™t give that back to me). I find a Meclizine usually steadies me enough. Kevin wants me to get a motorcycle - ads appear in my inbox with names like ā€œlil rebelā€™, ā€˜doodlebugā€™ and ā€˜baby bergieā€™ in reference to both the smallish nature of the bikes heā€™s trying to tempt me with and my short stature (5ā€™3ā€ on a tall day). I keep mentioning the whole MAV thing. He has such misplaced confidence in me.

But, then, of course, I go out kayaking so he figures it must be all good. Hereā€™s a fact: you canā€™t actually fall off a sit in kayak. And Iā€™ve got the wherewithal not to roll the boat and fall in to the ocean. Scary sea creatures live there. Perhaps if I fall in theyā€™ll notice how many of their tasty brethren Iā€™ve eaten and choose to even it up a bit.

We live small town in a larger metropolis now. A town called Sumner in Washington state where you can know all your neighbors and the kids walk to school. We have access to the big city stuff in Tacoma or Seattle but arenā€™t required to live that way. My business caters to all rural and small municipalities. Iā€™m in farm country, the forest, the mountains, the back roads all the time. I donā€™t work anywhere with more than 25,000 people (in the whole huge county); three of my client towns are under 700 and another three are in the 9,000 range.

My business is all about relationships and service. I donā€™t have clients so much as extended family to whom Iā€™m devoted. (Back before they managed to fall apart completely, my dad was a minister and my mom a social worker - of course their oldest daughter would take up a life of public service. They lost their way. Mine was set.)

See? Life is just so good. :heart:

3 Likes

The eyes need to have access to the horizon or at least to a fixed point to maintain balance. However with luck, and probably meds, it can and does improve.

Yesterday was the most glorious late Summerā€™s Day, clear blue sky and full sun from dawn til dusk and really warm. After walking out over harvested wheat fields we sat in the garden drinking tea and watching a pair of Red Kites in turn hunting, flying and feeding over the fields behind our house for a good half hour. I managed to use both binoculars briefly and a spotting scope. I even managed to follow a Kite in-flight with the binoculars. Helen

2 Likes

Helen, what youā€™ve described is such a perfect day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So lovely!
Also so incredible that youā€™ve been able to use the binoculars on a moving target!
I have not tested myself with the rifle scope yet but will let you all know how it goes when I do.
Something Ivā€™e not seen mentioned is how the vertigo affected me in regards to heights. I would get SO DIZZY (before meds) on stairs, balconies, highway overpasses etc. Anywhere high off the ground. Thank God that is gone now, or calmed with meds :purple_heart:

1 Like

The bins on a moving target was no problem. Kites donā€™t fly particularly fast on warm sunny days, they use thermals. Worst part, with the scope - I could cope with the heat rising from the ground when birds were down and the slight wobble of the viewfinder, stepping down off the block Him Indoors had to place so I could reach the scope in the first place. He kinda forgot how much taller he is than me!