Birth Control pills have you tried it ladies?

Hi,

Iā€™m just curious to see if any of the ladies have tried birth control pills for MAV? I read that Dr. Hain said MAV is hormonal related and that it gets better with age. I also read that you feel better when you are pregnant, so Iā€™m thinking if you are on birth control there is a good chance to make your MAV betterā€¦because your fooling your body to think you are pregnant. I noticed 8 months prior to getting dizzy that I was starting get some female problems, and when I took a blood test to measure my hormone levels, one hormone where a little off. What do you guys think? have you experience this at all??
This whole thing came to mind when MAVLisa said she was going to try to get pregnant to see if her symptoms would get better.

I started taking this Loestrin 24Fe today to see if it can help. Itā€™s a low dose pill with few side effects. Iā€™m a little worried cause it says in the literature not to take it if you have headaches with neurological symptoms, and that you need to take considiration if you have migrainesā€¦I mentioned in another topic that Dr. Hain told me that usually pills that ā€œstabilizeā€ hormones help. This includes ones where you just have periods every 3 months. I donā€™t smoke and Iā€™m a health nut so I hope Iā€™m safeā€¦

Anyhow, if this doesnā€™t work Iā€™m onto Paxilā€¦

Emma :slight_smile:

1 Like

i cannot take anything along those lines because of breast issuesā€¦but I know my hormones are way out of whack and my levels are lowā€¦so dealing with all of this at one time is enough to make one nutsā€¦

I take Loestrin 24. I switched from another pill that I had been taking hoping the lower estrogen would help out with the dizzinessā€¦if it was in fact hormone related. It really helped the headaches around that time of the month, but it really didnā€™t help the dizzies at all. I didnā€™t notice a significant change in the dizziness until I started taking Cymbalta. If your having headache issues too, a birth control pill may help.

THis all happened for me when I was on BCPs. For years, the BCPs made my headaches much more intense and frequent, and then I woke up one day with MAV. I then found out that BCPs trigger migraines. Personally, I would not recommend it.

Hi,

Thanks for writing. I know that your migraine can get worse on the pill, but it can also make them better, just like another med for migraine.
How do you feel Lisa? did you stop Effexor completely?
Colleen it feels good to hear you are on the same pill Iā€™m. How long did it take, until you felt that your headaches were better?
I donā€™t have too many intense headaches just very subtle ones. Iā€™m going to give it a few weeks, and then I will start Paxil.

Emma

Emma - I took my last dose of Effexor today. Iā€™ve been cutting down the pill each day. I feel like Iā€™m getting back to my baseline at least now that iā€™m getting off Effexor. My baseline is terrible, of course, but better than when I was dealing with side effectts of EFfexor.

Hi,

So Iā€™m off the birth controlā€¦It just made me cry like crazyā€¦Iā€™m now more dizzy because if messed up my whole cycleā€¦Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t work for someone else, however it didnā€™t work for meā€¦
Iā€™m going to start taking Paxil tomorrow or Tuesdayā€¦
I need relief Iā€™m really downā€¦

Em

Emma-
Sorry to hear the pill didnā€™t work out. It took a month or two to notice significant difference in the headaches for me, but like I said, it didnā€™t seem to help the dizziness really. I wish you the best of luck with Paxil! Keep us posted:)

Same I was prescribed seasonique for this reason where you only get a period 4 times a year. God Iā€™m nervous to try it since I am 41