Black Light question

I already knew that grocery stores could throw me for a loop thanks to fluorescent lighting.

What I didn’t expect was the instant, violent response I had to black lights.

Aside from the fluorescent colored dots on the dark, purple carpeting, there were all kinds of structural head games going on in the theatre.

My question is this - are black lights worse than regular white, fluorescent lights? I know they’re both fluorescent.

I’ve never heard of black lights marie-johanne. What exactly are they? Like you I react very badly to flourescent lights, so I’m intrigued to know about these black lights. I do know that I couldn’t even step inside a theatre for many reasons. I’m all ears!!

Brenda

— Begin quote from “Brenda”

I’ve never heard of black lights marie-johanne. What exactly are they? Like you I react very badly to flourescent lights, so I’m intrigued to know about these black lights. I do know that I couldn’t even step inside a theatre for many reasons. I’m all ears!!

Brenda

— End quote

It’s those lights that are often used at bars and on dance floors. VERY common back when I was a kid. Used to make things pop out in the dark, like white t-shirts and teeth, for starters.

Also used to find semen and other bodily fluids at crime scenes. There go my dreams to become a CSI!

It might be that with the black lights on, there wasn’t enough actual light for your balance system to function properly. Throw in the additional mental adjustments made to see with that lighting, and I could see the possibility of it causing problems.

For me, the fluorescent lighting has to be physically blinking to cause me problems. I have a much bigger problem with acoustics.

1 Like

I’m either still suffering from after-effects or I’m coming down with something!!

I just had this happen to me TODAY (10-7-20) and it was nice to know someone else has experienced it, even though it’s not a nice thing to have to happen to someone. After a concussion with lasting inner ear damage a couple of years ago, I’ve noticed a lot of strange things now. The Black Lights or Blue lights threw me into my weird response that I couldn’t continue to walk and continued to blink uncontrollably and all the other weird things that happen to me. until I exited the room and it all subsided. The same thing happens with strobe lights and grocery store fluorescent lights in some stores, the sunlight through the trees when driving (acting like a strobe), flashing lights on utility vehicles… etc. You are not alone!

1 Like

Hi Faith and welcome

I too have never experienced Black lights. No disco goer me, never was. Black light or as I would call it being a countryside dweller total darkness will certainly throw balance out in anybody who is Visually Dependent. Their balance system is relying on input from the eyes to operate successfully so taking away the daylight is rather like expecting a biped to walk upright without his feet touching the ground.
Grocery store lights, flashing alternative light levels coming through trees, and flashing emergency vehicle lights are all very common migraine triggers any of which can cause imbalance etc in people with vestibular issues.