BPPV- EPLEY OMNIAX Chair

I just thought I would pass this along for what it is worth. 12 years ago I had a very extreme BBPV event. I saw all of the best neurologists, including Robert Balaoh at UCLA and Brackman at the House Clinic. I also saw Anthony Arnold ophthalmologist because the problem seemed to be in the supraorbital areas above my eyes. I walked away with a MAV diagnosis. I trialed some oral drugs but did not like the side effects and the bottom line is they did not help. I started to see a neurologist in Santa Monica who thought outside of the box and injected Botox in the supra orbital areas. It helped at first, but after a couple of years my problem came back with a vengeance.
Long story short, an RN friend of mine told me about Ian Purcell at Alvarado Hospital in San Diego.
The clinic has one of the 10 existing EPLEY OMNIAX Chairs in the world.
Essentially, by positioning the patient in a specific way while the patient is wearing google that show eye movemnts on a computer screen, they are able to tell the location of the loose crystals. Once they know where they are they do the appropriate treatment. It is like an amusement park ride. I have had 4 treatments since November and I am almost 100% better. They told me that due the the fact that I have had this condition for so long, it could take a while. If patients are treated right away, the symptoms go away almost immediately.
I am only sorry that I did not know about this earlier. Athough the chair has had FDA approval only since June of 2008 and my symptoms began in 2004.

Epley Chair

I hope this helps even one person as it has been miraculous for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic result. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting - thanks for sharing. This could also explain why people who get the Epley maneuver for BPV after a short time appear to be fixed. Another piece in place in the puzzle.

If anything, it can rule out BPPV. It is a great diagnostic tool. I wish there were more of these chairs around the world.

I had this test done as part of my investigation on Friday. Horrible test but it came back that my ears are undamaged so BPPV was ruled out. I had various tests in “the chair” which showed that the problem is the connection between my eyes and brain, all sorts of mis-firing going on, and accounts for the reason as to why I have the Alice In Wonderland part of the spectrum of symptoms as well. Did you have to count backwards from 100 in threes! Very amusing when you are trying not to throw up!

Are you sure it was the Epley chair and not the rotational chair? I had the rotational chair test done early on in my “journey”, 12 years ago. I remember having to count back from 100 in increments in 3 in the rotational which is hard to do under normal conditions.
The rotational chair test does not test for BPPV.

Maybe you are right but it was after that I was told there was no damage in my ears. The neurologist did also manually do the Epley manoeuvre which was also negative . I hope I never have to sit in that awful chair again is all I can say!!!

I must emphasize that the computerized goggles which are an integral part of Epley Chair can pick up even the most subtle nystagmus that the human (even a trained human eye) cannot with the Dix-Hallpike maneuver. A number of PTs and even Dr. Balouh did not detect nystagmas.
It is possible that you do not have BPPV, but I would get this test done just to rule it out. I am saying this having been misdiagnosed with MS and later MAV having suffered for 12 years when all along it was caused by displaced octonia.

Thank you. I will ask my neurologist next time I see her. I too was told I may have MS or an acoustic neuroma and it has taken more than 11 years to get the help I really need.