Celexa rash... doc ofc closed.... what to do

Hi there, sorry for so many posts the last few days!

I now have a rash from celexa. I started it Friday night. My next does is due in 2 hrs. Do I take it?
I dont want to wimp out. I really want this to work, but a rash kind of seems like a bad sign, especially when Im only
taking 5 mg!! I also had a sore throat 23 hrs after the first dose, and it progressed into a full on cold with headache.
I know these could be side effects to, but I thought well with the winter season, i will say its a coincidence, but now the rash…?

Im so sensitive to meds and this is supposed to be an easy one, im so lost and disappointed.

Rash is bright red all over stomach and back. Not real itchy, just red, bright red~!
Should I take anything for that.? Every since, I have been dizzy, it seems like I always have to ask for peoples thoughts and opinions. :frowning:

Thanks,
Kristina

If you can’t get in touch with your doctor, maybe call the pharmacy? Sometimes they’ll know if it’s an allergy or side effect.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, SAVE YOURSELF THE COST OF AN ER VISIT: THEY HAD ME TAKE A BENEDRYL AND TWO PEPCID (THAT’S RIGHT, THE STOMACH ACID REDUCER). GO UP TO 2 BENEDRYL A DAY AND UP TO 4 PEPCID. JUST BUY THOSE MEDS THE OTC FROM WALGREENS OR CVS. AND DRINK A SHITLOAD OF WATER. IT WILL GO AWAY IN A COUPLE DAYS. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN EITHER QUIT THE CELEXA OR MAINTAIN YOUR DOSAGE BUT SINCE YOU JUST STARTED IT, I WOULD STOP.

My story: I broke out into a rash after going up to 20mg of Celexa after being on 5-10-15 for a month; it happened the first day I went to 20mg. It was a raised red symmetrical rash on both sides of my groin, under my arms, and inner forearms.

I was also taking a strong GNC supplement called Hair Nourisher.

I went to the emergency room and they said it was a drug interaction. I forgot to tell them about the GNC supplement, since I figured it wasn’t important (duh!). They said I had a drug reaction. The Benedryl is an anti-allergy drug and the Pepcid is a histamine blocker for stomach acid but it also affects histamine in the skin.

I then switched to Lexapro 10mg, but now I am back on Celexa 20mg and guess what – no rash! Maybe it was the GNC all along.

Other people here have had a Celexa rash, so maybe that is what you have. Do what I told you, there is no point in going to the ER unless you want that comfort.

Good luck.

I called the pharmacy but they said I have to talk to the doctor, but its definently a side effect she said.

Its hard because the doctor that gave this to me is my GP. Not the doc that said I have MAV or CSD.
As The Mav doc wanted me to take propranolol and the other, nothing… just relax he said. And I was too scared of the Propranolol.

I feel as if my GP really doesnt understand how bad I need this to work. I guess I could call oncall. But… as I said.

Thanks LONGSHORT, I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU!!.. I will just stop. I have a cold and a headache anyways… I will find out if they were side effects as well. :frowning:

— Begin quote from “Kristina”

I called the pharmacy but they said I have to talk to the doctor, but its definently a side effect she said.

Its hard because the doctor that gave this to me is my GP. Not the doc that said I have MAV or CSD.
As The Mav doc wanted me to take propranolol and the other, nothing… just relax he said. And I was too scared of the Propranolol.

I feel as if my GP really doesnt understand how bad I need this to work. I guess I could call oncall. But… as I said.

Thanks LONGSHORT, I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU!!.. I will just stop. I have a cold and a headache anyways… I will find out if they were side effects as well. :frowning:

— End quote

Just run out and get the meds at Walgreens or somewhere, that way you know the problem is being treated asap.

And take heart, one man’s poison is another man’s medicine, so to speak. Maybe another medicine won’t give you any effects, just relief. This whole charade is just trial and error, I am beginning to think.

I gave in and called my GP. He said to stop the medicine and see if it goes away within the next day or so. If so, then it
was the meds. If not then call back.
Im not itchy so, maybe I will ride it out and see. Almost have to laugh, because Im sooooo sensitive, its just insane.
I had the RX for weeks, before I took it, because I knew something would happen.

Well lets see if this thing goes away. I bet its gone by tomorrow. Heck maybe my headache and cold will be to. LOL! Sigh…

Hi Kristina,

My take on this:

Citalopram DOES NOT cause colds. You just have a cold.

The rash is a known side effect of this med and while you did the right thing and spoke to your doctor and pharmacist, if it were me I would stay on track. Long short had the rash but doesn’t now, Emma had a rash from it and it went away. She is now on 40 mg and has pretty good migraine control compared to where she was. It’s a start up thing. If the rash does not go away, after a reasonable amount of time, I would then move on.

The med is first line therapy by Baloh. It was one of the only meds that worked for me removing virtually all visual vertigo.

Best Scott :slight_smile:

Scott,

I only got the idea about the cold, because it list it as a side effect in the hand out. It said cold like symptoms, congestion, sore throat and sneezing.
But Im sure it was only listed because a couple people happend to get a cold during the trial period…?

I did already stop. But I could start back up. I also have had a headache, head pain. And I read somewhere… maybe your post something about pain
cervical pain. Makes me nervous because I have already had 2 Cervical surgeries, and still healing from the pain of that Sept 26. 2011 in which gave me a headache for 74 straight days.

I will try the Celexa again. If it doesn’t work, I may try Cymbalta or Propranolol.

I slept better last night, not takin the Celexa though. I hope that insomnia feel goes away.

Thanks,
K

Hey K,

I just checked the CMI for it and you’re right in that citalopram can mimic cold-like symptoms. Obviously, it won’t cause a real cold. You need the virus for that. Here’s what I have from the CMI:

Side effects

All medicines may have some unwanted side effects. Sometimes they are serious, but most of the time they are not. Your doctor has weighed the risks of using this medicine against the benefits he/she expects it will have for you. Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you do not feel well while you are taking Cipramil. It helps most people with depression, but it may have unwanted side effects in a few people. The side effects of Cipramil are, in general, mild and disappear after a short period of time.

Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following and they worry you:

itching
ringing or other persistent noise in the ears
aching muscles or joint pain
flu-like symptoms, fever, runny or blocked nose, sneezing, facial pressure or pain, coughing or sore throat
increased sweating
increased saliva or dry mouth, taste disturbance
loss of appetite or increased appetite, weight decrease or weight increase
diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence, indigestion, stomach pain or discomfort
dizziness
nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting
migraine, headache
sleepiness or drowsiness, fatigue, yawning
a sense of indifference to everything
sexual disturbances (decreased sexual drive, problems with orgasm; problems with ejaculation or erection)
problems with menstrual periods.

Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:

chest pain
fast heart rate or decrease in heart rate
dizziness when you stand up due to low blood pressure
blurred vision
low sodium levels in the blood (the symptoms are feeling sick and unwell with weak muscles or feeling confused) which may be caused by SSRI antidepressants, especially in elderly patients
increased tendency to develop bruises
unusual bleeding, including bleeding from the stomach or bowel
passing more urine than normal or problems when urinating
tingling or numbness of the hands or feet
nervousness, confusion, problems with concentration, loss of memory
agitation, anxiety, worsening of depression.

How about waiting for everything to clear up and make sure that it wasn’t really a cold and giving it another shot when you’re ready? Re the headaches: most SSRIs cause more headache as a start up side effect. It should stop after a couple of weeks. I was on Cipramil for over 4 years. Over time my headaches were worse on it – especially after I hit 15 mg. Remember I’m the guy who gets an effect on a micro dose of anything so 15 mg was a huge amount for me. These days I am good on 2.5 mg of paxil. But in starting it, I had increased head pain for about 2 weeks. Now nothing.

Cheers

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info. I will wait for it to all clear up. I had “noise” in my ears to, that was awful, for about 4 hours the other night. :frowning:
maybe next week I will give it ago! I see a Neurologist on Friday, doc wants to rule out a few more things. Thyroid… my mom has Hypo, as
well as her mom and dad. So. Check it out and go from there.

as you would say… Cheers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kristina