I WAS USING A LOT OF BLEACH YESTERDAY TO CLEAN A BATHROOM AND BLEACH OUT SOME BLANKETS. LATER THAT NIGHT I SLEPT IN THE BLANKETS AND THEY STILL SMELLED OF BLEACH. I WOKE UPI THIS MORNING DIZZIER THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN. COULD THIS HAVE BEEN A TRIGGER? IS THERE SOMETHING IN OUR HOUSES THAT IS TRIGGERING THIS FOR US?
Absolutely! Any household cleaner, especially bleach which is a strong smell, can trigger dizziness or other symptoms in people. This is very common. And if you were breathing it all night long, even in lesser amounts (left over in the blankets), no wonder you were dizzy.
I can’t walk into one of those fingernail shops without feeling my head swell instantly. I know, not necessarily cleaning chemicals but chemical fumes none-the-less. I haven’t experienced a problem from bleach that I am aware of, but it wouldn’t surprise me if people were to have problems with it.
Yes, if you overdo it. I always used to feel bad swimming in chlorinated swimming pools, at first, I thought it was the swimming motion, then I took my daughter to a babies swimming pool and just stood the whole time. When I came out I was so dizzy, so I guess the connection was the chlorine.
Even before this started, I’ve been sensitive to chemical smells from cleaning products. Anything like the smell of bleach, furniture polish, surface cleaners etc would give me a bad headache for the rest of the day. Now I use more environmentally friendly brands such as Ecover which have less chemicals or chemicals at lower strengths and they don’t seem to have the strong smells. That does really help me but it does mean I don’t use the nice floral smelling fabric softener anymore which I miss
Chemicals, fragrances, fabric softeners, room deodorizers, outgassing of new materials (esp. new plastics, electronics, waterproofed fabrics, leather, new car outgassing) dustmites, fuel fumes, dust, mold, smoke from any source, new building materials, new carpets, formaldehyde, etc, will trigger my migraine in the worst way. Some hit me very quickly, sometimes within seconds, depending on the offender, and sometimes with devastating effects. Inhaled triggers hit the hardest, the fastest, more so than any food offender affects me. We took drastic measures to make my home a safe place, but we live in a smelly world, so I am constantly dodging offenders when I go out. It has curbed my activities and involvements in enclosed places with lots of people, and makes it challenging when we need to buy electronics (we must opt for used items that have already finished outgassing) and furniture.
Burd right there with you i can’t handle any smells any more and have horrible allergies so can barely go outside in Spring/Summer/Fall - make me very mad that my life has gotten like this
I use seventh generation cleaner all purpose cleaner. All natural and odor free. I can’t use anything with any sort of fragrance from cleaning products to bath products! Any odor/fragrance pleasant or not will trigger me.
I use bicarb and vinegar for almost all cleaning stuff - cheap and non-toxic
Vinegar fumes can trigger my wife’s migraines. So that is one we couldn’t use here.
Bicarb and water works OK too (no fumes) - just needs more elbow grease
Always use safe products for cleaning, in my opinion we should use green cleaning products and natural cleaning products for cleaning.
Yes those cleaning products with lemon give me instant headaches.
As for perfumes, funny enough, I can stand most of them but there are a few scents that make me
want to vommit. So it’s probably an ingrediënt that is making me ill.