Coenzyme Q10

Has anyone else taken CO Q10? My neuro otologist put me on this yesterday for migraine prophylaxis (to be added to my other regime of lamotrigine and lexapro). My appointment went well and he is fairly certain my MAV is partially associated with menopause and feels that it will go away after I completely get thru it (i am 47 so he thought maybe 3-4 years). Also, he mentioned the possibility of superior semicircular canal dehiscence due to my sound sensitivity and dizziness. He said that this is just something we will keep in mind as I go thru this. He did also say that he prescribes lamotrigin for superior semicircular canal dehiscence (which is what I am already on for my MAV). I must say I really trust in my doctor. He definitely tells me all the options I may be facing and has a game plan for it.

This is very interesting to me because perimenopause is what started my MAV - what’s interesting is both the CO Q10 and the “3-4 years” part. I think they believe you can have some “sneak attack” hormone swings even after you’ve gone one year without a period, which is the rule they use to to determine what makes one officially in menopause. If I’m getting too specific in my questioning, please just don’t answer, but are you officially in menopause, and do you know if the “sneak attack” phenomenon is why he gave you the 3-4 year time frame? I would love to think I could try tapering my medication in a year or so, but I’m inclined to think that it could also be the case that the hormone swings just opened a can of worms that’s been waiting for years to be liberated - I think I may have been hardwired for this and I’m stuck with the problem now. But it would be much NICER to think of this as a short run kind of thing!! Also, I wasn’t aware that CO Q10 was being used for migraine prophylaxis by MD’s. I knew some of them are recommending magnesium, but I wasn’t aware of this supplement for this purpose. Again, this is all very interesting!!

I do not think I am going through menopause yet, but definitely premenopausal. I had a procedure called thermal ablation a year and a half ago so I no longer get a period. My doctor said that’s why it is easier to determine the time frame if a women stops her period naturally. I think that may be why he said the 3-4 years. He said that alot of women “just know” when they are going through menopause, so I guess I am not yet. Also, my doctor is listed on this site as one of the top 25 physicians in the US for MAV. He spent 2 hours with me my first appt and 1 hour at my followup. I feel very grateful to have him as my physician. I really hope the CO Q10 helps. I will let you know!

I’ve tried taking COQ-10 many many times at various dosages: 30, 60, 100, and 200mg. Even tried the concentrated form ubiquinol. It makes me dizzy EVERY time… I’ve abandoned it completely hoping my system doesn’t need it. Have had major luck lately with B2 400mg., B12 @ 3x day, and B complex.
Gail

tried and didn’t help my MAV at all