Colonoscopy prep - gatorade or propel

i guess gatorade is full of sugar but propel has sucrolose in - which is worse or better? i’m going to have to get a colonoscopy soon and dread it cuz i’m not feeling well at all right now. I know gatorade has lots of salt and sugar so i wasn’t sure what to do. I hope i can go through with it - my head has been feeling awful today.

chris

Could you postpone the colonoscopy until you get some traction on this episode? I’ve never heard of mixing the prep with Gatorade or Propel…hmmmmm. I just used water with mine. The prep is awful even when you are feeling 100%…try to postpone the darn thing!! The whole not-eating-low-electrolyte-dehydration-low-blood-sugar-thing will not do you any favors. By the time you get to the actual colonoscopy part…it’s so welcome because you get to be put out of your misery for the better part of an hour!! If it were me, I would postpone/ignore/delay/put-off the procedure altogether. We are not the kind of people who need any extra help in the area of throwing off our body’s entire balance. Of course, if you have a real urgent medical need----not “well, you are 50 now, so you should have one”----then you should have it.

Chris,

If there are indications that you need a colonoscopy I would strongly recommend you have it and without delay. I had my first at age 34 and already had three polyps. It’s true it’s no fun in the lead up but it’s not THAT bad.

On the other hand, as pinkone says, if there’s no pressing urgency/medical reason to have the colonoscopy it might be an idea to postpone it until you feel a bit better.

Vic

I"m gonna see how i feel by next Monday and if i have too many days that are bad like yesterday i’m not gonna go i’m gonna wait til i feel better - this time of year is horrible for me - actually from now until next late Fall!!! sad but true. but like my BF says better to get it over with - it runs in my family so this is my second - nothing wrongn last time just want to prevent it.

Yeah they took that horrible fleet phosphosoda off the market - it was industrial strength stuff - the dr. loved it but i guess it caused kidney failure on unhealthy folks.

So yes now miralax powder and gatorade - tons of salt and sugar - ew. that’s the mixture plus some laxative pills - not as strong i guess as the last stuff - it’s always so much fun the night before!

I’ll decide by next Monday - i do want to get it over with i’m already a year late! chris

Just a side note - a family member recently had to do this and they told her to use Miralax and Gatoraide too - but only the regular, yellow flavor. Definitely do not drink the red (fruit punch) or grape. Dark colorings apparently can mess up the readings?

Best of luck!

yeah same with the jello - OF COURSE red is my favorite and can’t have it :frowning:

i don’t know if i can tgo through with it or not - i’m getting realy dizzy this week - stinks!!!

chris

The best part is that they put me out for the actual procedure.

A day of yeccch and then, “All done.”

yeah the procedure is not the problem it’s the prep - yuk!!!

chris

i dont like the idea of all the sugar and SALT in the gatorade but what can i do - i have to drink it. hopefully all that plus other liquids and the drugs they give me won’t make me too sick - too dizzy - esp the day after - i have to work. the gatorade G2 looked like it had some sort of aspartame or something in it since it’s low calorie so i decided to get the one with sugar.

wish me luck. hopefully i’ll be well enough to go through it. getting warm so bad season starting and am a bit worried about that.

hope all of you are well111

chris

Good luck and enjoy the sandwiches afterwards!

Chris,
Advice from one who knows: Make sure you are scheduled first thing in the morning.

My colonoscopy was the last one of the day for my doctor, at 2:30 pm. The combo lack of food for too long and Versed sparked a 3 day MAV attack in the post-op. This was before I was diagnosed. I thought it was a violent/allergic reaction to the anesthesia. And, in a way, it was…

I am a big proponent of this important test.
Good luck.

Sarah

How much time should I request off for work for an endoscopy/colonoscopy? I received notice in the mail yesterday with my appointment for my endoscopy/colonoscopy. I have to prepare for it one day and then have the procedure the next day. And they are putting me to sleep for it. Should I just prepare for it while I’m at work and only take the day off the for procedure? Or will I feel good enough to go to work the next day after the procedure? Anyone else go thru this and have any advice? Thanks in advance to all answers.

— Begin quote from “bhumika”

How much time should I request off for work for an endoscopy/colonoscopy? I received notice in the mail yesterday with my appointment for my endoscopy/colonoscopy. I have to prepare for it one day and then have the procedure the next day. And they are putting me to sleep for it. Should I just prepare for it while I’m at work and only take the day off the for procedure? Or will I feel good enough to go to work the next day after the procedure? Anyone else go thru this and have any advice? Thanks in advance to all answers.

— End quote

Your best bet is to schedule it for 8 or 9 am, and then start the prep the previous night. They start you on a laxative at dinner time, then you start with the mixture in the jug, and you spend the next hours going number 2 until nothing comes out but clear water. Disgusting, I must say. The next day you go in, put on a gown, lay down, and they knock you out. You wake up half an hour later but very groggy. You are out of it for that day. So you really need to take off the day of the procedure.

Don’t do the prep at work. It could get ugly. Make sure you have a bathroom far removed from others in the house.

Doesn’t anyone want to tell her about the “fart room”? :lol:

I get regular colonics, which they are saying have been tested for prior colonoscopy, and show the colon more clean and able to see any issues, than the standard treatment with the laxative…I wonder if that would be an option?
My meds have really done a number on me since they are central nervous system “relaxing”…it has relaxed my colon to the point where it’s laying on the couch watching TV and won’t get a job!! Hence, the colonics.
Kelley

Call me crazy but I did it without being knocked out - they put the IV in my arm just in case they needed to knock me out once they started but I have to say once the scope was in - I watched it on the monitor and was only slightly uncomfortable if that - no real pain and for me (don’t love being drugged up) it was great to be able to walk out of there 30 minutes later and be completely clear headed. If they knock you out, you will need the day off but will be fine the next day. Might not be everyone’s experience but I found the whole thing to be pretty easy.

Good luck!

Alli

I tend to be more focused on the “knocked out” part for my fears and concerns where my migraine sx are concerned. I had one at 45 (5 years ago) before I had full fledge MAV and was fine. But now being on all these meds (3 daily preventatives) I have some fears and concerns as far as going under. I am due for another, but keep putting it off!!

Pam

I wasn’t given Gatorade as an option, just Jell-O. And I pick a flavor (lime) I don’t really use in anything very much because I know I’ll be sick of it after feeling “forced” to drink it every 10 to 15 minutes the night before the colonoscopy!

There’s usually a liquid diet the day before also (before you even start the evening drink-a-thon), so that diet change could spell trouble for some particularly sensitive migraine brains. So if possible, it might be good to schedule the colonoscopy for a Friday, and you have to take the whole day off (and will need someone to drive you there and back) - then you have Saturday and Sunday as additional recovery days if needed.

And I totally agree with getting an early morning time if you can!

They give you “twilight” stuff, so you’re actually awake but could doze and SHOULD forget most of it - my husband though always needs double of what most human beings need, and he remembers his whole procedure, even cracking bad jokes with the doctor.

One was something like “when you went to medical school, you didn’t think this is what they meant when they were talking about getting in 9 holes a day.”

:laughing: