Constant dizziness or episodic?

Hi all, just wondering if i am the only one who gets constant ( drunk-like) dizziness instead of episodic vertigo or dizzy spells? If you get constant dizziness can it really medical be called MAV??? I have been to soo many doc’s and they all describe MAV as episodic! HAs anyone been told by a doc or has anyone read anywhere where MAV can just be constant dizziness?

Hi there

For me it’s been constant for the past 10 weeks, similar to yourself whereby I feel clumsy when I walk ( as though walking
On a trampoline) and when standing still the floor feels like its moving.

I suppose you could call it episodic if an episode can be constant for this long!

Have you had an official diagnosis?

constant…not episodic.

episodic (with progressive hearing loss) would lean more towards Menieres possibly???

I’ve posted this same thread a few months back. I also get constant dizziness. It can vary by degree but it’s always there :frowning:

— Begin quote from "Go Gonzaga"

episodic (with progressive hearing loss) would lean more towards Menieres possibly???

— End quote

MAV can definitely be episodic. MIne is 100% episodic driven almost exclusively off of triggers, though if I continually expose myself to a trigger I can essentially cause it to be a continuous event.

It has been found that some people experience migraine-related symptoms like vertigo even in-between migraines. So I suspect this is what is happening for those that seem to have continual symptoms. The episodic migranes are still at fault, but your symptoms are more or less continuous. In this case treating the episodic migraines would still be the proper course of action.

You are correct that if hearing loss is involved, you have to look at someting like Menieres, but Menieres is usually accompanied by violent illness as well.

i agree…constant, but definetly varies in severity of symptoms.

when it is bad, you have to lay down and just wait it out…very tough to muscle through it.

when it is not too bad, you say your prayers and enjoy your day (but there are ALWAYS some type of symptom still going on…ie. ringing of ears, bright lights effect you more, motion sensitivity, yada yada yada

I had constant dizziness (not vertigo) before I got my migraine under control with meds.

That is a very good point Anne, to distinguish between vertigo and dizziness.

I believe if you want to get really technical, vertigo is “officially” only the intense spinning sensation that is usually a sudden event that might cause you to fall down. I believe most MAV presents as more constant dizziness, unsteadiness, or general instability. Mine presents as mimmic of the symptoms of mal de debarqment, also known as “land sickness”. So I get this slow rocking sensation that just keeps getting worse and worse until it feels like the entire world is pitching and yawing around as if I am on a boat in the ocean during a storm. I basically feel like I’m trying to walk around drunk.

So I don’t know how many people with MAV actually experince something that would officially be classified as “veritgo” vs. just having a general instability of some sort or general dizziness.

Is there any chance that some of us with “constant” symptoms have an epileptic-type nervous system as opposed to a migranous-type nervous system?

I’m just curious. I’m willing to believe the MAV diagnosis but I wonder about the intersection of migrane and epilepsy.

Anti-convulsants would be a treatment either way.

I’m not sure. Epilepsy is episodic too so I’m not sure having continual symptoms would point towards having anything in common with epilepsy.

There obviously are some similarities between migraine and epilepsy because some epilepsy medications have proven to be among the most effective at treating migraine. However that could just be because they are both neurological in nature and the neurological medications for epilepsy are just broad spectrum and happen to affect migraine too (similar to how ibuprofin reduces inflamation almost anywhere in your body)

“The manifestations of migraine-associated vertigo are quite varied and may include episodic true vertigo, positional vertigo, constant imbalance, movement-associated dysequilibrium, and/or lightheadedness.”

Emedicine/Medscape article on MAV

Constant constant constant but massively better thanks to meds

I think mav could have an epilepsy like pathology localised to the vestibular nuclei part of the brain

I wonder if the constant MAV is a different thing than the episodic MAV, or just a much more serious version of it? I am thankful that mine has never been constant. It has sometimes lasted for several days at a time, but it has never been constant. I feel for those of you so afflicted. :frowning:

Hey Becks…

I noticed that you list “VRT” on your profile…does that mean that you think you have both uncompensated damage as well as MAV?

That’s my current best guess for myself right now. And I am a “constant” person with imbalance and light sensitivity and abnormal caloric results…that’s why I call myself a both…and yes, I surmise that it’s a nerve misfiring process…so whether that is migraine or epileptic…I wonder. It’s something, for sure.

jWB-I do vrt because my symptoms are aggravated by head, eye and body movements, the drugs do help but vrt is also needed to reset the brain. My caloric did not show any significant damage to my ear. I am beginning to think uncompensated labs which I was diagnosed with for 4.5 years doesn’t really exist! If your brain doesn’t compensate with 6 months to a year in my opinion the problem is the part of the brain receiving signals from the ear i.e MAV

Mine has been constant for 8 years. I have it all the time but it gets worse in episodes (the unbearable vertigo) and then I have dizzy/off balance/rocking/moving etc. all the time. The degree of severity varies.

Constant. And many docs have told me that MAV has to be episodic. But based on the replies here, I am beginning to think they were all wrong!

I think you are correct rockergrl. There are many, many cases of people that have it constant for years on end. I’m one of them. :wink:

From age 11-29 my mav was episodic. I’d get hit with a true vertigo attack 4-6 times a year (could figure out triggers) and would be normal in between.

After my dd was born, woke up with the worst vertigo attack of my life and it’s sort have slowed down to this 24/7 constant rockiness for the past 20 months. I couldn’t figure out what was different or why it wasn’t going away like years previous. I knew there was something else to this mess. I was also diagnosed with Mdds which I believe is the constant rockiness. (It’s the same sensation I’d get after getting off a rocky boat.) Since taking topamax, I have not had a mav true vertigo attack!

Just need to figure out how to stop this other 24/7 rockiness…

Very interesting on the epilepsy approach. Especially since Topamax works for me, an anti-convulsant. Unfortunately, the headaches are bad which I’ve never had until the Mdds came on.

That’s interesting. My MAV pretty much exactly mimmics MDDS. The difference being that it goes away if I avoid my migraine triggers. But before I was diagnosed with MAV I thought I might have MDDS, except that I didn’t have any reason to have suddenly gotten it.

For me, the topamax has cut out the MDDS-like rocking almost completely. Sorry that it hasn’t done the same for you. :frowning: