Couple questions for the Verapamil users

I just took my first one about half an hour ago, scared to death of potential side effects but so far so good.

I was prescribed 120 mgs - can anyone tell me if this is a big dose? little dose? medium dose? I’m going to try it for a month and then go back to the doctor for a follow up. I hope I can tolerate this better than the nortriptylene I tried.

Does anyone take this in combination with HCTZ? Last time I cut down/stopped the HCTZ I had two severe vertigo attacks. My doctor suggested taking the HCTZ only 3 times a week instead of daily. I don’t want to stop it altogether as I believe it is helping.

What exactly is Verapamil supposed to help with - the rotational vertigo attacks? the motion sick feeling I have? the daily headache I have?

If this works for me, is it something I have to take for life or just a couple of years (or months)?

I haven’t been around for awhile. I’ve been very busy at work, working 10-11 hours a day and then so wound up I have trouble sleeping. But I have been feeling somewhat better, I think it may be because I have been eating dairy free and gluten free for a few months. I’m not feeling motion sick 100% of the time like I used to. I even have periods of time where I feel good. However I still am extremely motion intolerant, that hasn’t changed at all. One wrong movement and I feel terrible for quite a while. I still don’t have a definite diagnosis though, and that is frustrating. I haven’t taken any valium or meclizine for 2 months. Giving up these has been hard, but I felt one or the other may have been contributing to my mini-spins - the feeling I would get every once in a while as if I were being pushed a half an inch. This has been hard as there are many times when the motion sick feeling is so strong I really need something, but I’ve been getting through somehow.

Any Verapamil advice you can send this way will fall on open ears.

Book

Sorry to bring this up to the top . . . can anyone answer any of my questions or give me any verapamil advice? I think some of you have used this. Today I’ve had chest pains, ugh! I don’t know if that is muscular because I was doing some heavy lifting yesterday or if I’m having a heart attack (geesh I hope not) or if it is just a normal variation of how I feel or if it’s a side effect of the meds. I am so med phobic and med sensitive.

I’m reading that chest pain should be reported to the doctor as it can be a potentially serious side effect. If it goes away tomorrow, it was probably the heavy lifting. If not, talk to the doctor.

120 is the smallest dose I know of for migraine. Highest used is 480. I only know its purpose as far as MAV treatment is concerned – to try to end the migraine, more or less. If it does work, all associated symptoms should resolve.

Scott answered the “time” question in the “Survival Guide” – “Once stable, you remain on the medication for one year and then it may be possible to come off the drug over another 4-month reduction period at which point a migraineur can remain in remission without medication but still following a migraine lifestyle. Others may need to stay on their preventive for many years or for life.”

George, thank you for your feedback.

No chest pains today, phew.

I hope I get some relief at 120 mgs, I don’t like the thought of going higher. It is definitely affecting my bp. I tend to be slightly low because of the diuretic but yesterday it was around 95/58.