Dizzy Spells

Maybe this is a dumb question but I always hear people talking about rocking or spinning. So I’m curious if anyone gets episodes that come on suddenly & you feel like you’re going to pass out? I get these episodes when I’m in a crowded room that is not well ventilated or in the grocery store. I’ve also gotten them at home but they definitely happen more when I’m out in public and around my menstrual cycle. I’m feeling my normal yucky dizzy feelings & all of a sudden it gets so intense I have to lay down right where I’m at. Does anyone else have to lay down on the floor in stores? (Or in my most recent case, the hotel lobby!)

I don’t really get episodes. I just ALWAYS feel like I’m on a boat when walking. Sometimes the rocking is just more violent than other times. I have had 1 episode of spinning vertigo in a store, but I don’t think that’s what you describe.

Yes I’ve had a few spells like that. Only once did I pass out then vomit. It’s a different feeling than the rest of my dizzies, I think maybe it’s a pre menopause thing. I honestly don’t know sometimes I wonder if it’s panic but I don’t think so because like you said you feel your normal yucky self ad then wham. Do you find that it happens when you get up and move around too fast? Or when trying to stand still too long? Hot stuffy rooms bug me too. On Dr. Hains website there’s something about (forgive spelling) orthostatic hypotension which seems like this. I think it’s time for me to get a neuro-otologist and find out what is going on with me. I still don’t have a diagnosis, the doc just decided to put me on Propranolol (Inderal) because I told him I get headaches, I did notice that’s it’s a med for this orthostatic hypotension so maybe I’m on the right track. I’m so confused at this point. Funny thing is though there is an exercise for this condition and I have been doing it to help try and fix my posture and calm down after doing the VRT but only for a couple of minutes. It’s also odd that I came across your question immediately after reading it. I for one am going to do that exercise a little more than I have been. Let me know what you think.

Tammy

— Begin quote from “TammyM”

On Dr. Hains website there’s something about (forgive spelling) orthostatic hypotension which seems like this. I think it’s time for me to get a neuro-otologist and find out what is going on with me. I still don’t have a diagnosis, the doc just decided to put me on Propranolol (Inderal) because I told him I get headaches, I did notice that’s it’s a med for this orthostatic hypotension so maybe I’m on the right track.

— End quote

Hmm, noooo.
Orthostatic (aka. postural) hypotension (you got it right :)) is when your blood pressure falls when you stand up from sitting/lying down. Propranolol treats HIGH blood pressure and has orthostatic hypotension as a pretty common side effect.

If your dizziness lasts for more than 10-30 seconds after swiftly standing up, it’s probably not due to your blood pressure.

Hi Tranquility,

I just went back to the website to check and Inderal is on the list to treat it, I don’t know if it makes a difference though. I have no clue on how any of theses drugs work, I just wish to find one that works! How are you feeling? I thought I was getting better but I seem to have come to halt, but at least I’m not going backward. Limbo with the dizzies is hard.

ETA I do have some blood pressure problems, the docs are calling it white coat syndrome,140 over 90 is the worst but 15 minutes after I passed out it was 120 over 74, what gives?

Tammy

Hey Tammy,
After reading your story it sure sounds as if you have MAV, which is why your docs are so baffled with your diagnosis. This is the path so many of us took before receiving the diagnosis of MAV. It is a diagnosis of exclusion these days, but I hope with more knowledge this will change. It took me over 15 months before I finally found a doc who was familiar with MAV that gave me this diagnosis. I’m not sure where you live, but maybe someone on the forum in your area could recommend a doc that sees MAV patients. It’s great that you started propranolol as this drug can absolutely help you. And, since your blood pressure is normal to high normal, you shouldn’t have to worry about dropping it too low on this med as it’s primary use is the treatment of high blood pressure.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Warmest,
Lisa

dizzygrl,

You just described how mydizzyspells start. I stay like that for a few minutes, then it mellows out a little, basically enough for me to get home and plant myself on the couch for the next several hours

I have looked at Orthostatic hypotension in the past. I have ruled that out because some of episodes have happened while I’m sitting in a chair not standing. Also, I have been able to check my blood pressure during a few of the episodes & it’s fine. Guess it’s just part of the MAV.