Do flights affect MAV?

I flew back to the Northeast last week, from down south, and it was raining/windy, so the plane ride was bumpy. I was nauseous most of the day and felt like I was still in the air even after landing. It’s been about 9 days now and I still feel off. I really notice it when I swim - I have real motion sensitivity in the pool, feel off–no rhythm at all on my strokes (I swim butterfly, freestyle, backstroke and breastroke) I’ve been feeling groggy, tired and not myself. Is this normal for MAV or MM? Up until this plane trip, I’ve had a fairly “normal” year - almost symptom free.

anyone out there have some input? :?:

I have a long thread on this elsewhere, but the bottom line is that most people can fly without long term effects on MAV. I flew a lot last year (to Asia and all around, sometimes on 12 hour flights) and I was fine with a little benzo, and that was before I was taking any medicine for MAV.

You should always have some medicine as a vestibular suppressant during the flight. But I think that most people on the board have been fearful of flying only to find out that it isn’t so bad for the MAV.

i’m afraid to fly as well but it isn’t the mav side that i’m afraid of, it’s the mdds that i think is going to be the most worrisome. i just don’t want to continue to feel the flight motion or turbulence after the flight. when i get into water, especially at the beach, i’ll get out and still feel the waves. if you are still feeling the motion, this long after, you also might be a candidate for mdds.

I flew to Hawaii and back - 6 hour flight for me - and the first time since my MAV hit. I was absolutely fine on the flight itself. It was the disruption in my sleep schedule etc. and trying to return to normal after coming home that was the problem. Took me at least 2 weeks to adjust.

— Begin quote from “longshort”

I have a long thread on this elsewhere, but the bottom line is that most people can fly without long term effects on MAV. I flew a lot last year (to Asia and all around, sometimes on 12 hour flights) and I was fine with a little benzo, and that was before I was taking any medicine for MAV.

You should always have some medicine as a vestibular suppressant during the flight. But I think that most people on the board have been fearful of flying only to find out that it isn’t so bad for the MAV.

— End quote

Thanks, longshort, I’ll search for that thread. Is it under General Discussion? I took xanax, which has always kept me fairly “normal”. For some reason, this trip has left me with motion sensitivity issues. Right now, it seems to be most prominent when I swim, which is very upsetting - I’ve already given up running since my awful vertigo attack in 2009 - left me incapacitated for 24 hours. Swimming keeps me sane. Ears are ringing like crazy this week too. I can tolerate the tinnitus, no problem, but not being able to swim is freaking me out.

— Begin quote from “ilovesalem”

i’m afraid to fly as well but it isn’t the mav side that i’m afraid of, it’s the mdds that i think is going to be the most worrisome. i just don’t want to continue to feel the flight motion or turbulence after the flight. when i get into water, especially at the beach, i’ll get out and still feel the waves. if you are still feeling the motion, this long after, you also might be a candidate for mdds.

— End quote

I have felt some effects from flying, but usually in a week, I’m back 100%. I’m wondering if the high tree pollen/rain/wind here in the NE is contributing to my slower comeback. I hope so. For me, once you feel “normal” it’s even harder to tolerate relapses.