Do I have MAV?

Tell me if I’m on the right track please…

I’ve been to ENT’s had MRI’s Allergists, Physical Therapy…

About 5 years ago I started waking up in the middle of the night (2am) with vertigo fast spinning, lasting about 10 seconds or so about once every three months.
Then I became more prone to motion sickness while in the car. Two years later I would get a slow slow spin sensation that made me nauseous, it would last 3 days or so.
I never noticed that headaches played a part in this… Recently though I’ve noticed that I can get headaches not so bad but they come on in the afternoons, nothing a bit of advil won’t help. No doctor can figure it out. Verapamil did not help, although I noticed less sugar did. I notice when I wake up spinning my head is usually in an awkward sleeping position, tilted back and to the side.

What can I do??? Do I have MAV?

Thanks

Obviously, no one here can say for sure, but based on your symptoms, I would lean more towards benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) than MAV. However, MAV is certainly a possibility. Have any of the doctors mentioned BPPV? Here is a link to some general information about it.

https://ssl.search.live.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2Fmc%2Fpages%2F1%2FDS00534.html&qu=BPPV

— Begin quote from "wolftg"

… I notice when I wake up spinning my head is usually in an awkward sleeping position, tilted back and to the side…

— End quote

Because of this statement, I was going to say that you might want to look into BPPV, but since you said that you have already been to an ENT, and been through the testing, this has probably been ruled out already. The spinning you mention, although experienced by some people with MAV, is not all that common with MAV. I do have problems in bed occasionally, but it is usually when I roll over, and then it is a sensation of falling through the bed and the floor, and the basement, and continually down. Oh, and headaches are not neccesary for MAV, just common.

Have you ever experienced a rocking/swaying sensation while sitting or walking? Has the floor ever felt like you were walking on a giant waterbed? Have you ever felt like you were standing about two feet off of the floor, waiting for your feet to finally find it? Have you ever heard strange sounds that last for less than a minute? Has the room ever tilted one way or the other?

With the information you give, it could be possible that you have MAV, or maybe not. I would personally need more info, to say that it sounds like MAV.

— Begin quote from "wolftg"

I never noticed that headaches played a part in this… Recently though I’ve noticed that I can get headaches not so bad but they come on in the afternoons, nothing a bit of advil won’t help. No doctor can figure it out. Verapamil did not help, although I noticed less sugar did.

— End quote

I’m wondering if you have reactive hypoglycemia. Rapid changes in glucose levels can really do some nasty things.

Heather

Wolf…this is the way my MAV condition started out too…waking up in the middle of the night with room spinning for 30-45 seconds. I would become extremely nauseated an vomit. It was a total hell! This waking up in the middle of the night wold occur approx twice a year (1989-1991). I would always recuperate within 3 days and return to work. The doctors thought i had some kind of ear infection. In 1992 i had another waking up in the middle of the night and stronger case of Vertigo. After throwing up…i literally crawled over to the couch and sat down and tried not to move my head for fear of more vertigo. Thirty minutes had passed and i began to notice a rocking motion sensation with a throbbing/pultizing like symptom inside my head. It would not go away and became chronic. My first couple of doc’s thought i had Panic Disorder…my next diagnosis was Inner-ear Dysfunction w/anxiety(whatever that means)…a coupld doc’s thought i might Have BPPV…so i had the Epleys done with no help. One doctor thought i might have menieres but the symptoms i had didnot fit menieres. In 2006 at UCLA i was finally diagnosed with Migraine Eqivalent which is the same as MAV.

One of the indicators (having MAV) was that i have always been motion intolerant all my life. I never out grew it. Driving as a passenger driving thru curvey roads in the mountains make me feel nauseated…sailing on a boat is very uncomfortable and also riding on carnival rides that go in circles are something i could never tolerate. Many MAV folks have difficulty with Motion Sickness and never got grow it.

Joe

Thanks for all of your replys…
I’m really sorry to hear about some of your symptoms… Thankfully I’ve never thrown up from the vertigo. The middle of the night spells happen fast and the spin stops within seconds and I can fall back asleep, these days it takes a full day to completely not feel like I’m on a slow boat after the nighttime spell. BPPV was ruled out because I got a few spells when just sitting at work and not moving my head. This week I got 2 spells at night and had minor headaches all day for four days of the seven this week. My father suffered from migranes, and him mother claimed to have a “balance problem”
I got a call from my allergist today who said that some antibodies to candida was found in my system and he put me on an anti-fungal med. He believes that a reaction to candida which I tested positive for could be the cause… But for 6 years???