Domperidone for MAV

I saw an article of a question and answer session (for the web site Gransnet) with Dr Giles Elrington, the Director of the National Migraine Centre in London. In it he mentions using Domperidone. From searching the archives here at mvertigo.org I see Domperidone was also mentioned by someone who referred to Dr Silver.

— Begin quote from ____

Q: Can you advise us about the lack of balance that seems to be associated with chronic headaches please? I have tried drugs from the doctor but they did not seem to have any effect on the balance issues - it is as if I am drunk and wearing my reading glasses whilst trying to walk in a straight line!

A: Lack of balance is common in migraine. Doctors often try drugs like stemetil but they don’t work well for migraine. Domperidone is usually better, you can take this 20mg three times a day when your balance is bad. If it’s bad most of the time a prophylactic like amitriptyline taken for many months can be helpful both for the headache and the imbalance.

— End quote

Dr Elrington makes some other interesting points in Webchats

-Deo

Interesting, I was prescribed this by GP for sickness in MAV. I may try it the next time I feel very dizzy! (Add it to the cocktail if drugs I take already!)

Hi I have been taking domperidone since May last year at 60mg a day. It works as an anti-sickness drug and makes the stomach empty faster. I lost my diziness after about 4 months and have never been dizzy since although I do suffer with contiual migraine headaches still. It’s worth a try for dizziness… but is meant for anti-sickness. I also take mebeverine and amitriptyline. Amitriptyline is thought to also help with irritable bowel and gastric spasm as well as migraine. I take 400mg of mebeverine and 35mg of amitriptyline.

I’ve been on domperidone for gastroparesis for 8 years. I developed MAV in that time, and i still have it even though i take domperidone…

— Begin quote from “whosthatchick”

I’ve been on domperidone for gastroparesis for 8 years. I developed MAV in that time, and i still have it even though i take domperidone…

— End quote

I also take it for gastroparesis. It does nothing for my dizziness, but does help with nausea and regurgitation. It also helps other meds get to me faster when I take them at the same time.

I take it as well, at least 20mg twice a day. Works really well for gastro reflux disease.

I have MAV but no balance issues.all migraine and visual problems for me.

I was really surprised to read this whilst checking out Domperidone (always sounds more like a type of champagne than an anti-sickness med. - a bottle of Domperidone ‘95 please Jeeves’).

I was given a script for Domperidone for nausea as associated with Covid jabs and the doctor said it might come in useful with the VM as well at some stage. I’d read Dr Silver recommended it in preference to Prochlorperazine and had wondered if I’d have done better on it in the past however once I realised it’s not in a Buccal form I knew it wouldn’t have been any use to me before I’d started the preventatives. There was no way before then I could have swallowed anything once yet alone several times daily and kept it down. Prochlorperazine always stopped the VM sickness but did nothing for the lack of balance.

1 Like