Dr. S Tests

Curious how many people were unable to stay in the same spot when asked to march on the spot with eyes closed (one of Dr. S’s tests). I stayed in exactly the same spot which I find odd. Also, did many people have anomalies in their vestibular function tests?? Mine were normal except for an over-reliance on my vision for balance. be good to know how I compare to others. Thank you. xx

I did a test with my arms out in front, marching with knees high for 30 seconds. I did turn about a quater of the way around. But I can stand on one leg with my eyes closed! Haha. I can also do the heel to toe with eyes closed which I find weird too. So the march was was my worst!!! Well done!! I think it’s a tricky one :slight_smile:

Lizzie, I think I passed all these tests with flying colours. My balance is pretty good and all my vestibular function tests were quote “perfectly normal” apparently! That is why I think it took me longer to get diagnosed. I had these tests done prior to Dr S though. I did march on the spot and heel to toe for Dr S as well and it was all fine and steady x

Hello,

I did the close your eyes, arms out, march on the spot and ended up turned round to the right and my face up by the door! I was shocked. But also pleased that it demonstrated something quite obviously wrong.

In the other tests I showed some vestibular loss to the right ear. Not sure how much.

I am confused as to why I have never been recommended for VRT. When does he recommend for VRT and when not?

Hi Lizzie,

I passed all of these tests as well as the more technical tests which were performed in the Zurich hospital. According to these tests I am perfectly healthy!

— Begin quote from “RichyF”

Hi Lizzie,

I passed all of these tests as well as the more technical tests which were performed in the Zurich hospital. According to these tests I am perfectly healthy!

— End quote

I remember a neurologist saying: you are perfectly healthy, maybe it’s all in your head. Hmm couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Anyway, I did the walk on the spot test and moved slightly to the right. Nothing showed up on with the air in ear/rotary chair test, neither did it with the goggle camera.
I can stand on one leg with my eyes closed too, don’t know if it means anything.

— Begin quote from “DizzieLizzie1”

Curious how many people were unable to stay in the same spot when asked to march on the spot with eyes closed (one of Dr. S’s tests). I stayed in exactly the same spot which I find odd. Also, did many people have anomalies in their vestibular function tests?? Mine were normal except for an over-reliance on my vision for balance. be good to know how I compare to others. Thank you. xx

— End quote

Mine pretty normal too! I “feel” like i’m being violently bounced up and down when i close my eyes; but i am still because my limbs are strong. I suspect this is what you had. I basically failed every part of the test where you’re in a harness and close your eyes and the floor tilts x

Mm , as I understand it VRT is started once you are fairly stable , that said I actually started before I was diagnosed …

MM, I’m not sure why you haven’t been recommended VRT. The neuro physio here said VRT can help migrainers with their balance but won’t prevent attacks. I think it’s a bit trial and error though as VRT can also bring on an attack in some migrainers. It’s rarely simple with this thing! Although, I was also told that daily tasks can be good VRT if you are relatively active and it sounds like during your better time, you are. I have done some VRT and was always given the same exercises. Staring at a dot on the wall and moving my head left to right and up and down while keeping my focus centered on the dot. I then had to try that walking forward moving my head while looking at the dot. You slowly increase the speed of your head movements. Another is shaking your head back left and right with your eyes closed 20x. It has never really helped me but no doubt it has helped quite a few. I’m a bit of a mystery though as a few years ago I was still figure skating. One day I’d be jumping and spinning on ice with no worries and then the next I’d have a vertigo attack in my lounge room and couldn’t move for days. Surely skating would have been ongoing VRT and it never changed my symptoms. These days I think I’d be too scared to spin on ice in case the spinning didn’t stop but I am still going to put my skates on again next week and throw myself in the deep end to see how I go (without trying a spin…I do enough of that these days at home!.)