Elavil... any success?

Well i saw my neurologist again today and explained i didn’t want to take Sibelium because of the extrapyramidal possible side effects. He then prescribed me Elavil (amitryptiline) but from what i read so far on this forum, it doesn’t seem to have worked for many of you.

If it did work for you… could you reply and let me know how much time it took, which side effects you had, etc? It would encourage me! :slight_smile:

This was the first medication that gave me relief. It did not give me 100% relief and I have been adding other meds to the mix, but I got significantly better once I started this. I started ami. at 25 mg. nightly. Every 2-3 weeks I increased by 25mg. until I was at 100 and waited to see what happened. I currently take 125mg nightly. This medication was a saving grace for me. Like I said, not 100%, probably more like 60% but nothing I tried before worked. I was more than happy to find something to help some of my symptoms!
Sarah

— Begin quote from “sasad”

This was the first medication that gave me relief. It did not give me 100% relief and I have been adding other meds to the mix, but I got significantly better once I started this. I started ami. at 25 mg. nightly. Every 2-3 weeks I increased by 25mg. until I was at 100 and waited to see what happened. I currently take 125mg nightly. This medication was a saving grace for me. Like I said, not 100%, probably more like 60% but nothing I tried before worked. I was more than happy to find something to help some of my symptoms!
Sarah

— End quote

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! and it’s encouraging too! I am planning to start taking it next weekend as i have the week off after and if i have bad side effects at least will be home. :slight_smile:

Good luck!! Keep us posted with how it goes. Luckily for me the only ill effect I had on this medication has sleepiness. My body adjusted after a week or each time I went up a dose. Even now when I take it I have a two hour window before It’s bedtime! Make sure you’re ready for bed when you take it (at least within an hour or so).
Sarah

I took 5mg yesterday and had a little rash but other than that no side effects! Not even sleepiness! I hope I don’t get a rash again tonight or else I might have to change medication.

I am taking 5mg until Sunday and then 10 mg. How long id it take you to see some positive effects? (did you have to increase the dose before you saw any improvement?

It was so long ago. Three years almost. I would say at 25 mg the pain behind my eyes went away. I noticed a significant difference at 50 mg and again at 75mg. I’m at 125mg. now, and there wasn’t much of a change if any from 100.
My fingers are crossed for you!!
Sarah

1 Like

Thank you try much! Has it helped you with vertigo? Or just the headaches? I am hoping it will work on my headaches, vertigo and visual anomalies. :slight_smile:

I was started on ami 10 mg after taking a beta blocker for 4 weeks. These 2 drugs in combination have helped me to return to “near normal” function. The first few days were rough for me as it ramped up symptoms. When I upped to 20 mg I noticed a huge improvement. I have had some bumps on the way and have had to increase my dosage (I am only at 35 mg now), but it still seems to be working. Occasionally I have to take klonopin on my rough days. Best of luck… Hope the ami works well for you… ( the only side effect I have ever noticed is dry mouth, but that goes away after a day or so after upping).
Jen

Thank you!
So far no side effects except feeling dizzy for a couple of minutes about 1 hour after i take the pill, and after that it stops.
And on the plus side, i noticed my sleep is deeper… i usually wake up when my boyfriend comes in the bedroom to go to bed and i haven’t since i started taking it. Yay! :slight_smile:

It helped with the 24/7 head pain initially. The greatest impact was on all the dizzy related symptoms. Sleeping through the night is my favorite side effect too : )
Sarah

I noticed that light remains in my eyes for a longer time (palinopsia) since i started this medication. Have any of you had this or more photophobia?

I am always super sensitive to light, but can’t say with certainty that it is or isn’t a side effect of meds.

Day 11 of amitriptyline: I have only had one big migraine and 2 small ones, which is my best period in the past 2 years. Yay!!

Less dizziness as well (i used to be really dizzy and unbalanced when i would turn in my appartment and that almost disappeared from day 1!).

I have only had on short episode of light vertigo since i started the medication.

Also, for those who are afraid of the side effects of this medication… i was a bit tired the first 2 days and my mouth was a it dry but that’s it!! I sleep better, need less hours of sleep, and my mood is so better since i don’t have headaches all day every day. For those who are afraid of gaining weight with this med, i am less hungry and haven’t gained any weight since i started taking it.

The sensitivity to light was a coincidence… it went away quickly.

So… this pill is perfect for me so far… and i am only at day 11 and heard that the full effect is only after 30 days.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue like that.

I am planning a trip to Europe and am so excited as i thought i’d never have the guts to travel again with the migraines and bad vertigo episodes.

Take care everyone! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing… I started amitriptyline last night (5 mg) and have been holding out hope that this med is “the one” :wink:

Erika, it sounds like we are taking similar meds! I currently am taking Verapamil, Amitriptyline and Topamax.
Sarah

Ah, even more hope, Sarah, great! :smiley:

— Begin quote from “erika”

Thanks for sharing… I started amitriptyline last night (5 mg) and have been holding out hope that this med is “the one” :wink:

— End quote

I hope it will work as well as it’s working for me. :smiley:

Thanks - I hope so, too! (I’m sooo ready to feel fairly “normal” again!)

Well… i am a bit disappointed… i thought i had fkund the miracle pill, but since i started working again (sittng in front of a computer all day), my migraines are back :frowning: Unless it’s a coincidence… I am only at Day 13, and Day 9 will full dosage (10 mg) so maybe i can still hope the medication will work better within the month.