Electric zapping episodes along with a seizure feeling in head

Hello. I was just recently diagnosed with migraines. I was just wanting to see if anyone else has experienced what I do. Out of the blue I will get an extreme feeling of being shocked/zapped/buzzed in the head along with dizziness and it would last seconds to minutes. It will feel like my head is being shaking back and forth. My pulse will go extremely fast…in150s… Has anyone else experienced this feeling?

I’ve had zapping when getting off Paxil. At other times I’ve had buzzing / vibration sensations, but not very often. Occasionally in life I’ve had large pops or bell ringing sensations in the head. I feel like it has to do with transitions between sleep states though - rarely ever got it out of the blue during the day. Pulse rate is probably your sympathetic nervous system reacting to the sensations automatically.

Are you on any medications?

Hi, i’m on Cymbalta (for anxiety/panic attacks), and Bystolic for tachycardia. Have you ever had vertigo last for an entire week,?

I’ve never had spinning sensation vertigo, but many others here have. I have floaty and rocking dizziness - had it everyday for about 1.5 years. Mostly gone now. How long have you been on Cymbalta? Ever miss doses? When I went on and off Paxil I got all kinds of strange symptoms. And dizziness is experienced by many people who go on SSRIs, almost 20% of people experience dizziness on Paxil.

I can beat you. Eight days, on half a dozen occasions. In bed unable to stand, constant vomiting. Constant vertigo. Earlier attacks regularly 72 hours constant vertigo, unable to open my eyes.

Of course, on thinking about it further and going with the official vertigo criteria of being rotary, either environment or self, the constant 24/7 dizziness many plp with MAV experience can/does last for months/years. I myself have had it for more than three years (I ferl I am going around constantly, not the room).

I have the electric shock episodes daily every time I rest!! This has been going on for years and is becoming more painful. It used to be in the centre of my chest so was checked out heartwise and found to have tachyarrhythmia, but it is now all over my body. Very disconcerting and no explanation given. Not stress related, at its worst when I am in a totally relaxed state and I am not a stressful person.

Not something I’ve experienced personally but do remember a thread about it. Search ‘brain zaps on this forum, i remember @Manatee having some input but don’t remember their general consensus. Helen

It’s just so hard to believe that what I’m having are migraines. I feel like the doctors are saying this just because they don’t know what else it could be. Which I understand, they don’t know all and can’t. Just very scary. I appreciate all of your responses.

‘Oh, I found it at last.

Do check out this thread using Search on this forum:- ‘Vibration, so upset, is there a name for this’.
May help. I’m not really sure what is meant by ‘brain zaps’ but people on there seem to have an idea.

I experienced this, I know it’s no walk in the park. Last year, I was in bed falling asleep and the moment I started to get into a deep sleep, my brain would shock me awake, elevating my heart rate, causing intense vertigo, my nerves were extremely hyperactive making my body feel like it was on fire, but I was too nauseous to move. I’d tap my husband, he’d wake up, go get me a cold towel and strip me down. It lasted for less than two mins, but left my scalp extremely achy. It went on for about a week. I stayed up for 3 days out of fear. When I did go back to sleep, it was gone. I’m no doctor, but this sounds like occipital neuralgia triggering VM symptoms.( Occipital neuralgia is a distinct type of headache characterized by piercing, throbbing, or electric-shock-like chronic pain in the upper neck, back of the head, and behind the ears, usually on one side of the head.) I do hope your symptoms have calmed down! You’re not alone! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m on amitriptyline now. The symptoms dissipated, but are now coming back.

Do you know why that might be? Has anything changed?