Elevators

I took an elevator which stopped very abruptly the other day, and the deaccelerated feeling continued for a while afterwards, felt like I was extremely heavy/the ground was accelerating upwards; especially when I was walking.

Anyone else have this ā€œproblemā€?

1 Like

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œMikaelHSā€

I took an elevator which stopped very abruptly the other day, and the deaccelerated feeling continued for a while afterwards, felt like I was extremely heavy/the ground was accelerating upwards; especially when I was walking.

Anyone else have this ā€œproblemā€?

ā€” End quote

I get the same sensation. I think that is common even for non-migraineurs, but we are probably more sensitive to it. Sometimes I feel like I just got off an elevator even when I havenā€™t been on one. :frowning:

I have that same problem with elevators now. I try to avoid them as much as possible. They never bothered me before, I just canā€™t shake that ā€œelevatorā€ feeling after being on one. I go for the stairs as much as possible.

Nance

Hmmā€¦Iā€™ve experienced the elevator thing all my life - long before my migraine troubles began. I thought everyone felt that way.

I used to always take the stairs at work for the exercise. Now, taking the stairs is worse than the elevator for me. If I go up more than one floor, it causes me to see flashing purple and orange blotches as my heartbeats and sometimes triggers dizziness. Iā€™m just so out of shape after 15 months of feeling like this. Iā€™m afraid to exert myself, because it usually causes worsening of my symptoms. I havenā€™t done a true workout (more than a walk around the block) since this started. Maybe I should try forcing it and see what happens. Any thoughts :?:

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œMarciMā€

Maybe I should try forcing it and see what happens. Any thoughts :?:

ā€” End quote

If youā€™re feeling well enough, starting exercising SLOWLY is probably a good thing. Just donā€™t force yourself to it, thatā€™s probably more hurting than helpful.

I exercise quite a bit, always feel much better afterwards. The motion subsides enough for me to relax. However I dont feel very bad doing the exercising either (though I stay away from threadmills)

The last couples of decades i donā€™t recall any bad experiences with elevatorsā€¦but i recall in the 1960ā€™s and 1970ā€™s there were some elevators that use to make me feel very uneasy and queasy for a moment.

Joe

I stay away from elevators, they have always made me feel carsick. I get so nervous in them. Not to mention feeling claustraphobic and worrying about what would happen if the electricity went out.

The last time I rode an elevator, it stopped, I didnā€™t feel it stop, and ended up on the floor. I had to crawl out.

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œBrian Bā€

The last time I rode an elevator, it stopped, I didnā€™t feel it stop, and ended up on the floor. I had to crawl out.

ā€” End quote

Brian, you sure seem to spend a lot of time on the floor! Do you wear a crash helmet? :stuck_out_tongue: )

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œMarciMā€

Brian, you sure seem to spend a lot of time on the floor! Do you wear a crash helmet? :stuck_out_tongue: )

ā€” End quote

Yes, I do fall A LOT, (been lucky and havenā€™t hurt myself yet) I have found that I need a sense of humor otherwise it depresses me and FREAKS people around me out. I had one lady trying to call an ambulence once, and I had to get the people around me to tell her that I was OK and did it all the time. That was the only time that the humor didnā€™t work. :frowning:

I went out for dinner last night with friends. I met my friend at her apartment and took the elevator 18 floors. Got off, and felt very unbalanced like I was swaying. Looking out of her large windows (it was still light outside) made this feeling worse. Elevators! I think something to avoid??? Anyone else?

1 Like

A common occurrence with such conditions I imagine. I can recall coming out of a lift in a big hospital before mine even turned chronic and my husband looking at me in horror and saying ā€˜for goodness sake stand up straight, you are bent double, people are staring at youā€™. I didnā€™t even know that was what was happening but I certainly did feel weird. At that point my VM was episodic still and balance quickly reset in a couple of steps on terra firms and we left the hospital by way of the stairs! Brain is over reliant on feet for messages relating to balance then we get in a lift/on elevator and remove itā€™s ability to do so. Whoops. Then I suspect thereā€™s further brain confusion. We are actually standing still ie not in motion but in reality we are moving. Vertigo is a false sense of movement where there is none.

When it comes to the bent double Stance I subsequently experienced it many times in or on leaving supermarkets. Iā€™m not very tall, about 5ft 3in, but generally I have always been able to easily see over the top of the supermarket trolley. Was bit of a surprise to find myself looking through the wire bars.