Exercise hell again

Iā€™ve been trying to get aerobic exercise up again, not overdoing it I think and yet the results are hugely unpredictable. Drives me NUTS.

On Sunday, for example, I walked about 10 km all up and down the coast over a few hours. I felt good doing it and mildly tired at the end of it. On Monday morning I felt really good! Lots of energy and my mood was noticeably better and I felt energised at work all day. So I went again on Monday night but only a short 30 min walk but not too crazy. On Tuesday I was OK again and rested that day.

Last night (Wednesday) I went back out for a walk again but did a little more (about 5,000 steps according to the pedometer - or about 4 km) and in a shorted period of time. I felt fine throughout the walk and somewhat tired when I got home. Today I have the most horrendous migraine symptoms going on: head feels like it weighs 200 lbs, my memory is bad, very bad coat hanger headache, and to be honest, I just want to go home and lie down and do nothing (not an option).

So, I guess I did too much too soon? Maybe too vigorous? I never seem to be able to find the right ā€œdoseā€ of exercise to get good results or find the right way to incrementally increase exercise. I always go down in flames after a few sessions then never do anything again for ages because the fallout is too nasty ā€¦ but itā€™s something that has to be done. GRRRRRRR

Anyone successfully been through this and then suddenly the migraine was not triggered? Or you felt better after persevering for a few weeks? Did anyone follow a plan?

Thanks S 8)

This article was worth a read by Dr Newman in New York:

[size=130]Exercise Can Be a Pain in the ā€“ Head[/size]

When it comes to exercise and migraines, youā€™ve got two sides of a coin, says Lawrence Newman, MD, director of the Headache Institute at St. Lukeā€™s-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York. Exercise can be an effective preventive measure against migraines in some people, he says, but in others, it can actually cause them. ā€œWe think migraine sufferers have a heightened neurological system,ā€ says Newman.

ā€œTheyā€™re more apt to develop a migraine when anything is out of the ordinary ā€“ when they get up too early, go to bed too late, skip meals, etc.ā€ For that reason, Newman suggests that people prone to migraines establish not only a schedule of eating and sleeping regularly, but also of exercising on a regular basis.

Migraine sufferers donā€™t have to give up exercising, Newman says. Just start slowly, he advises, and donā€™t overindulge. ā€œTen minutes at a time should do it when youā€™re starting out. Increase your time gradually and you should be fine.ā€

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51909

Scott,

Do you have the same effect when on the treadmill?

The reason I ask is that I sometimes get a headache from running outdoors but I donā€™t get one on the treadmill. I am not sure why, but I think it has to do with all the other visual stimuli when I am outdoors, plus the temperature issue. On the treadmill you are in a controlled environment and can adjust your speed. Where I work, we have an exercise facility. Nowadays, I run in an air-conditioned gym on a treadmill, with the lights off, just listening to music at a low level. I cannot run as far or as fast as I did pre-MAV, but when I control those factors, I can do a decent run.

Scott:

I am ok with excercise but Dr Newman did tell me the same thingā€¦I I go 5 to 6 days a week . However if I change from nights to morning I do need to adjustā€¦This weather in NY sucks with the seasonal changesā€¦For that the good Dr said this is my pattern and I need to just ride it out. He said I can take 2 Alleve 2 times a day and see if that works ā€¦ I need to move to a dryer climate

Scott Iā€™m the same. I can have 3 or 4 days of the gym in a row and feel great. Then another time just one session will trigger something. I guess it all depends on what else is going on in our lives. I think MAV sufferers canā€™t afford to be too reductionist about triggers.

Dizzy

Scott, I believe any change in your daily life good or bad will negatively affect migraine. Anything. No matter how light you start the exercise it doesnā€™t matter. It will probably take a few weeks or a month to get used to the new habits, then youā€™ll stop having such drastic setbacks. And if youā€™re lucky, the new lifestyle may also knock out the dizzyā€™s completely after a while. Iā€™ve heard of a few people who have gotten rid of there MAV completely because they either added in a consistant exercise program with a med or exercise alone. But it has to be consistant or youā€™ll just keep having nasty setbacks.

Greg

Iā€™m going through the same thing right now. I am trying to go back to the gym and get on a routine but it seems like every time I go, the next day I get a migraine. Like yesterday I felt great, had a fast walk and little running on a treadmill then today I woke up with a headache, slightly full ear, and I was a little dizzy, but felt a little better after I took a nap. I desperately need to lose some weight though. I had a baby in April then a couple months later got hit with MAV.

Iā€™m wondering if I just keep going that my brain will get the hint.
Greg, that makes a lot of sense, I hope to get on a routine, and hopefully it will actually help in the long run. How much is too much though? I typically like going to spinning, and power pump(a toning class with light weights) I just donā€™t want to overload my brain. This would have been nothing last year :frowning:

Scott,

I wonder if your migraine was just one-of-those-things and not related to your exercise? Personally I might trigger a migraine if I really overdo it, but not from walking like you did (although I donā€™t know how exactly you were walking, I am guessing it wasnā€™t like running a marathon in intensity). However, even with preventative medication, and avoidance of triggers most people still get migraines, itā€™s just that meds and lifestyle modifications can help reduce them. You sound like me in that you have a chronic problem, and realistically I canā€™t see either of us being entirely free of migraines. (Until weā€™re both really ancient, as I think most people find they do eventually decrease with old age.) I think you once posted something about raising the threshold for them (some analogy about being in a swimming pool with the water up to certain levels?) which was really apt and struck a chord with me.

Anyway, thatā€™s just my (slightly rambling and unclear) thoughts on itā€¦

I agree totally with the last commentsā€¦We can only manage as best we can. no cureā€¦