Feel better with alcohol?

Alcohol free’s me for that particular night, but i am useless the next day. Balance is usually really bad for a day or 2 afterwards. Then on the 2nd or 3rd day, my balance is better than it was the day before I drank. It’s like the alcohol will reset things a bit for me. Really weird.

Greg

You lucky dogs! I can’t drink a drop! Well, perhaps a drop, but much more than that and the head gets squeezed starts throbbing.

Sorry Nickolas, I will have one for you tonight!

Bumping an old thread again. Was so glad to see this. When my condition first flared up, alcohol was one of the few things that helped it! Almost totally eased the head pressure/lightheadedness and calmed me down. The following day I’d be hungover, but have few vestibular problems. Then two days later, after a long, deep sleep, the dizziness would be back with a vengeance. This was the pattern, every time.

I consequently became quite reliant on alcohol, and it got to the point, five years ago, when I decided to give it up completely. Been 100% sober for five years now, and very glad about it.

At the time I wondered whether alcohol just calmed anxiety. Now I suspect it was probably partly that but also it seems alcohol depresses the CNS and vestibular systems (if anyone has any material written about this, especially in relation to VM, I’d love to read it).

I guess it can just numb the senses. After all people drink in order to forget. I have never been much of a drinker having been brought up strictly tee total however could always enjoy an odd glass or two with a meal young and socializing. Never could take commercially produced red wine though. Sent without many years then once just completely forgot and downed best part of three glasses at family gathering and did I suffer. Was episodic at the time and that brought on a full 8 day attack. I certainly paid for that memory lapse. Ever since chronic MAV even half a glass of white at Christmas for a toast and I’m as dizzy as a duck within 30 minutes maybe less. I even avoid Sherry Trifle now