Feel better with alcohol?

Strange question… but do your symptoms subside with alcohol?

Mine are strange in the way that if I do get quite drunk i do not notice the symptoms anymore… however its hard to stay permanently drunk with work and all :wink:

No. My first bad vertigo attack was after drinking too much red wine, it happened in the night.

Having avoided alcohol for years, I had one glass of white wine at a Xmas do and as I finished the glass, the room was moving (I just felt dizzy drunk at this point) but by the time I got home it was a full blown vertigo attack.

Christine

yep, one or two beers does exactely the same to me as clonazepam does. Believe I have heard that alcohol also hits the gaba-receptors? Anyway, my doctor told me that is not unusual to get dizzy-relief from alcohol. So sometimes I drink a beer when I feel bad instead of dropping an extra dose of clonazepam. Don’t know what is worst…
Chris

— Begin quote from “Chris2010”

yep, one or two beers does exactely the same to me as clonazepam does. Believe I have heard that alcohol also hits the gaba-receptors? Anyway, my doctor told me that is not unusual to get dizzy-relief from alcohol. So sometimes I drink a beer when I feel bad instead of dropping an extra dose of clonazepam. Don’t know what is worst…
Chris

— End quote

interesting! although 1 beer doesnt cut it for me… i have to be pretty drunk to feel better

Yes, a glass of wine seems to “mask” the vertigo for me as well. However, it can backfire and give me a horrible headache!

Hi Richy,
If the alcohol works for you I wonder if clonazepam is your drug? Have you ever tried it? They both depress the CNS from my understanding so maybe a benzo would give you permanent relief (and you could still go to work!).
Christine

How interesting! I thought it was just me!!! When I’m feeling really bad, a few drinks will do the same as ativan. Kinda scary when you think about it. I also will likely experience a migraine the next day, but it is usually worth it to get a break when the symptoms are at their worst.
Sarah

yup, a glass or two of wine always makes me feel better. There’s never any negative impacts from it either (as long as it’s white wine and not red wine LOL)

Yep, 2 beers every night after work, helps knock down the dizzies from work all day!

Yay, a nice cold glass of white really helps to calm down my dizzies too! Although, can’t face alcohol now I’m starting topiramate (or more like topira-not-my-mate but I hope we will be good friends soon!)

I seem to feel good when drinking a light beer. After reading all these posts, I might start having one every night. :smiley:

Unfortunately I’m the opposite: alcohol makes me much worse.
I’ve always found it strange that it seems to help some people, when alcohol is known for making balance worse.
There again, there are loads of things on here that some people find helpful whereas other people find it makes them worse!

I’m beginning to wonder whether , s my sweetheart suggested, the quality of the hooch makes a difference n how it hits me. I’ve had a sip from my sweetie’s glass of red in a restaurant once or twice with no ill effect. I had a small swig out of a bottle of “Four buck chuck” that was left here after we hosted an event (a sing,) and pow! Not knocked off my feet, but sure felt like hell.

For me…There are only certain beers I can drink without a headache the next day. Unfortunately it has been trial and error. Here is what I CAN have:
Stella Artois
Blue Moon
Fat Tire
and Vodka : )

I have not found a wine that likes me as much as I have liked it!

Sarah

Alcohol makes me worse, dizziness and migraine-wise. It’s definitely a trigger for me no matter what kind it is. I cut it out completely years ago.

If I am having a bad day dizziwise alcohol makes it much worse??

It appears as though, like everything else, alcohol works to provide relief for some and not others. I would be curious to know…
Those that do get relief, what types of meds have worked or not worked for you? I would think if alcohol affects a receptor in the brain, that certain meds (besides benzos) might provide similar relief…just a thought!
Sarah

Celexa, verapamil, and occasionally Clonazopan

Interesting…for me it’s verapamil, amitriptyline and occasionally ativan. I am better than I was initially, but am still dizzy on a daily basis. I will be trying to add topamax in later this summer to see what happens, but have to wait till the dust settles from discontinuing birth control pills first.
Sarah

Micholob Ultra for me, if I keep it at 2 beers, I rarely have any issues.