Flavored Herbal Tea

Hello, I am new here. I have been experiencing Vertigo since December 2022 when I got Covid. I have tried just about everything including Physical Therapy and nothing helps. So now I am trying the Migraine Diet and avoiding the 6C’s. I am wondering if I can have herbal tea that contains flavors of ingredients we are avoiding. For example, Chocolate Banana or teas that are Almond flavored. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Everything is trial and error but since you’re still seeking answers, I’d avoid anything that is on the “no” list for now. If you get relief from the diet you can slowly add some things back in and see how you feel but until you give it a good test you won’t really know what works or what doesn’t. Good luck, JAA.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice. How long do you suggest I avoid all trigger foods? I read it can take several months but I wanted to see what others recommend. thanks again!

It’s all very personal I suspect. Diet had no impact on me at all, as far as I could tell, not even salt restriction. I continued to be able to have 1 cup of coffee even. My oto-neurologist was even sceptical about the diet.

I definitely would give up caffeine though as that will help with sleep hygiene if nothing else. And giving up alcohol is a good idea in any case for general health. So those two are easy decisions.

Thank you for the feedback. It’s very helpful to hear others experience with the diet and symptoms. I cut out caffeine this week so we’ll see if that makes a difference. Thanks again!

1 Like

It may be helpful to avoid all potential triggers (I know it’s terribly hard!) The frustrating thing is you may not have any triggers, but it’s worth a try if it improves your symptoms. That way, when you slowly introduce food you will recognise if you have any triggers. I’m current on the diet, and if you’re struggling with recipes I always refer to The Dizzy Cook, she has literally saved me & has actually made the diet enjoyable. If you’re avoiding MSG, there are lots of herbal teas with MSG in them, but you should be pretty safe with peppermint tea & chamomile. I do really miss iced coffee though!

Thank you for your response and recommendations. I love the Dizzy Cook it’s been my lifeline! I have been on the diet now for a couple of months and switched to decaf coffee for about a month now. I am still not sure if it’s helping b/c I get random dizzy spells even with the food avoidance. I am not sure when I should start to introduce foods if I am still experiencing symptoms. Has the diet helped you? and how long have you been on it? I really appreciate your advice.

That’s no problem! The diet hasn’t stopped me from getting dizzy, it has helped to reduce my symptoms, but hasn’t eliminated them. Diet & medication together is what has improved my symptoms. I also take magnesium threonate. I’m still not symptom free, but my situation has greatly improved. I know I still have a journey ahead of me & I still have tricky days, especially around my period. As if periods weren’t hard enough! :see_no_evil: The only thing I will say about the diet is to commit whole heartedly to it, then at least you can completely rule it out if it doesn’t work for you. Another source where I get lovely recipes is Through the Fibro Fog. I have been on the diet for 10 months so far at the request of my ENT consultant, but everyone is different. I’m quite fortunate with my ENT consultant as he actually has VM himself, so he is understanding. What I find so hard with VM is progress is not linear, it’s up & down. Plus, as you are aware, treatment is not a one size fits all approach & different things work for different people.

Thank you for explaining your experience with VM and the diet. This is helpful info and thank you for the tip on Through the Fibro Fog, I can’t wait to check it out and try some of those recipes!