Flying in a plane

Hi Everyone,
I have a question for those out there: does flying make you dizzy? I find that when Iā€™ve flown the take off part is the absolute worse, litterally as soon as the wheels leave the ground I feel pressure in my head and I go dizzy (not spinning vertigo, but complete dizziness of I donā€™t know where up or down is), itā€™s a like a hand pushes down on my forhead. Oddly, with each subsequent flight it happens less and less (itā€™s like my body adapts to it, sort of like when you first start using a treadmill you feel strange afterwards, but the more you use it the easier it is and you can jump on and off with no problem). But, if I have too long of a time between flights (ex. 6 months or more) I start back at the begining. Oddly I actually donā€™t mind having to transfer flights because the first flight is the worse - extreme dizziness/panic that I want to get off so bad, then each flight after I feel a bit better. Does this happen to anyone else? I wonder if itā€™s due to damage to my vestibular system?
Thanks!

Hi! I could have written that post myself! It is one of my major challenges. When the plane take off itā€™s like a very heavy head rush, total dizzy feeling. I also feel like a dropping, disoriented by heavy dizzy feeling in my head when the plane descends. When the plane turns, I feel shocking too! I am so glad to hear that you fly though. I have put it off for 5 years and even missed my honeymoon because of it. I need to get back on a plane this year but the sensations scare me! I am wondering if they are normal flight sensations but we focus so much on it, that itā€™s hightened? Iā€™m not sure. Would love to know though!!

1 Like

There are quite a few discussions on flights and planes- do a search on keyword of both.

That said, not sure anyoneā€™s talked about it getting easier. We mostly either seem to be ok or not I think but it sounds good news for you if you can handle it better with every flight.

Haha, the way you describe it is perfect! But, give it a try you might be able to gradually increase your tolerance. Shorter flights work better for me at building up the tolerance, also helps with the anxiety - ie. I can handle it for an hour vs. 8 hours.

Ellen, do you take anything to help you? Or do you just sit it out?

Do you fly much? I assume you donā€™t let the sensations stop you going on holidays!

To answer your question, I donā€™t take anything, although some anti-anxiety drugs might help you if you need it (I like to keep a clear head when flying which is why I donā€™t take anything) I hate flying (before MAV I loved to fly). I livein Canada with family spread out far so flying is necessary if I want to see them vs spending days in a car. Like I said before I like to take shorter flights and it gets better each time. I joke that if I were to fly overseas again Iā€™d have to fly around Canada first a couple of times before I could do a long flight. It is horrible, but I try to get a window seat and I find that helps a bit. Part of the problem I have is ā€œnot being able to escapeā€ issue which increases my panic and anxiety, especially when the plane is full. The only advice I can tell you is plan a closer holiday, see how you do and see if it gets better each time. On shorter flights itā€™s easier to sit it out. Good luck!

I am flying for the first time on Monday since this all happened, itā€™s about a 2 hour flight to Brisbane (and back) and Iā€™m very nervous about it.

Today, I went to the chemist and bought Earplanes and nasal spray. My pharmacist knows me by name (that tells you something) and gave me some pseudo ephedrine to take too. Iā€™ll have some Valium before I fly in addition.

With all of this, Iā€™m still frightened about the nightmare scenario of vertigo on the plane and then ruining my holiday.

I have had a couple of rough weeks with symptoms which isnā€™t great.

I need some reassurance. Iā€™m not cancelling the flight.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

ā€œEarPlanesā€
More health accessories here

Be interested to hear how you get on Belindy. My vestibular issues started 3 years ago whilst on holiday abroad. I felt horrendous at the airport but just thought I had the beginnings of a sickness bug. Ended up spending most of our holiday in hospital. We have booked to fly to Greece in August for 2 weeks and I am rather nervous I have to say! Itā€™ll be my first time on a plane and being abroad since that awful holiday. Sorry, not reassurance but total empathy for how youā€™re feeling. Good luck with the flight, do let me know how you get on x

How did you go with your flight @Belindy on Monday?

Hey, I did all of the things I said above and was fine. Youā€™re from Brissy yeah! Iā€™m in Hervey Bay. Will fly again next Thursday so hopefully still all good. Thanks for asking

1 Like

That is a great achievement considering a two hour flight and an over three hour drive. Very good to hear!

I am on the Gold Coast. Enjoy Hervey Bay!

Itā€™s the boat ride out to Fraser Island next. Symptoms low currently, just the odd dizzy moment,

Thanks

3 Likes

Back from my holiday with return flights. All good! Please bite the bullet if youā€™re wanting to fly but afraid to. This is manageable if you do the right things. Happy flying.

2 Likes

That is excellent news. Would you mind listing the things that you did and that helped you the most?

I used earplanes, nasal spray and sinus decongestant. I wasnā€™t highly symptomatic (a bit before I left on the return flight). Keep anxiety low. I didnā€™t move my head a lot.

I think the mask was the best thing - Iā€™m highly triggered by perfume so this helped.

1 Like

Flying sometimes causes a lot of pain in my ears because of the pressure. I donā€™t understand why thereā€™s sometimes so much pressure change within the aircraft. I mean the plane cabin is pressurised so how come the pilots canā€™t control it when ascending and descending? It doesnā€™t always affect me badly. But it puts me off flying obviously.
Ah well, I donā€™t expect an answer to that but the pain can be excruciating and swallowing, sucking sweets, yawning and holding my nose and blowing doesnā€™t help. The pain is mostly in my bad left ear ie the one that is connected to my bppv so I assume I have some problem/sensitivity there. Anyone else have a connection between air pressure pain when flying? Luckily it doesnā€™t give me vertigo or dizziness. Just pain. And it takes several hours to return to normal when my ears will start popping and I can eventually hear normally again.

1 Like

My 14 year old daughter gets awful pain when we fly Chris. Weā€™re flying in a week and Iā€™ve bought some Earplanes for her to try (and for me too with my VM!) as keep seeing them recommended. Weā€™ve tried all the usual decongestants, menthol sweets to suck, ear popping etc so am hoping these might help her. Hoping so!

Wow! I had never heard of them but the reviews look really good. Thank you, I will try them next time I fly. Most grateful!

1 Like

I used them in conjunction with sudafed and my daughter flew for the first time without any pain at all! Big win for her.

1 Like