Food :)

I’m getting a little tired of steamed veggies, brown rice, and bland proteins.

Anyone have any MAV friendly recipes? What spices have you all had success with?

Hi Juliemarie -

I’m not much of a cook, and I’m still easing into the diet myself (reading labels and learning!), but I think sweet things make life more fun. That’s what I look forward to, anyway, so I make sure that’s in there. Peach nectar is a real treat - I’ve been drinking that for years, and it’s in Buchholz’s book too. Strawberries are in season here, so I’ve been getting a lot of those. From what I can tell, I think Eggo Waffles are OK - I get the whole wheat kind (I know that’s not exactly health food, but they have a little more nutritional value than Pop Tarts) and with some Mrs Butterworth’s syrup on them - I think that’s OK too from what I can tell - YUM!

I just bought a cast iron grill pan with those raised things in the bottom so I can grill inside the house (that’s the theory, anyway - we’ll see how that works out!). I’m hoping I can make more interesting meat and fish that way.

A couple of things I did recently come to mind, in case you might not have thought of these: small red potatoes are nice for a change, and carrots taste good with honey butter (just mash some honey in some butter, though I actually use Smart Balance).

Hope you can make your meals a little less boring. Good luck! :smiley:

if i could figure out why i keep getting the followîng error when trying to attach a picture: Could not upload attachment to ./files/3157_8a2d24f59a7dde71b2eb968ff6749ed9.

I could give you all the meal ideas from Buccholz book which i scanned :?

Thanks you two :smiley:

I have the bucholz book Richy, but thank you!

I’ve been trying to get creative with fresh flavors too. Here’s what I have so far:

Turkey burgers:

1 pack ground up turkey (93/7)
1/2c ground up oats (in place of breadcrumbs-- ground up in my blender)
1 egg white
Parsley
Cooked shallot (which bucholz says is ok)
Cooked garlic
Salt and pepper

Mix together with a fork or hands. Form four 3/4 to 1 inch thick patties. Broil on high for 10-12 minutes on each side. Voila!

Strawberry Chicken

Soften shallots, garlic and strawberry in a pan on the stove. I use this to top pan seared chicken or fish

Homemade Granola

3 cups old fashioned oats
1/4c honey
Cinnamon

Bake at 325 for 10 minutes, flip the granola and bake for another 5. Keep your eye on it, it can burn fast.

Stuffed zucchini

Ground turkey or beef
Veggies of your choosing
Large zucchinis (yellow or green)

Soften the veggies in a pan. Brown the meat in a pan. Slice zucchinis in half and scoop out their middles. Pop the zucchinis in the oven for 10 minutes while you are working on the meat and veggies. Take the zucchini boats out, stuff with the mixture, and then pop em back in the oven for a few minutes

Hope you guys enjoy! It’s all about combining the fresh stuff we can have with different spices.

I have had a TON of luck and new recipe success with the Clean Eating cookbooks. I LOVE them!!

They can be found on Amazon:

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

The Best of Clean Eating The Best of Clean Eating 2!
More recommended books here

Of course some modifications will need to be made based on the foods you are avoiding or your specific triggers. For example I make the recipes that call for tomatoes without a problem, but others might want to omit or use a substitution.

Sarah

Oh yum!! Good thinking :slight_smile: I’ll give those a shot

Quick and dirty treat: popcorn. I have an air popper, but I also like to brown some in canola.

Oh yum!!!

I found bagged kettle corn at cvs: popcorn, veggie oil, salt, sugar… Sounds migraine friendly to me :smiley:

Has anyone tried the alkaline diet?

Also, if we can’t eat yogurt, or fermented foods, how do we get the probiotics we need? I have tried several times to give up yogurt, and end up going back to it because I get too constipated. Am not sure if it is contributing to my condition or not. Supplement I tried (PB8 ?) did not really help.

Kathleen

Theres actually loads you can eat once you have been doing the diet a while and know all your no-no’s.

I enjoy white chocolate (green and blacks) shortbread, homemade cakes, fruits with cream, sweet rice puddings, bread and butter puddings, home-made burgers, home-amde pizza with a red pepper sauce instead of the tomato base, organic sausages, soups, pasta dishes, rice risottos, fudge, some brought biscuits and cookies, plain chips/crisps, potato dishes, shepherds pie with organic stock cube, fruit crumbles etc etc

Keep experimenting with recipes, just add or omit to suit the MAV diet :slight_smile:

DeetheDizzy,

I’m coming to your house for Shepherds Pie!!! :slight_smile:

K

Found a migraine cooking cook book on amazon that follows bucholz’s diet restrictions!

I can eat organic sausages:)? Really:)? I just bought one without nitrates and when I got home, I noticed it has wine and salts and spices (not detailed); now I’m afraid to eat it. When I went to the deli to get the first American cheese I’ve bought as an adult, the guy told me that baby swiss should also be OK because it’s not that aged; I wonder if I can eat it. What about edamame with sea salt (since other soy products and beans are on the no-no list)? I’ve always had more of a salty tooth, rather than a sweet tooth, but this too may change. My favorite all time SUPER EASY impress anyone dish follows; it’s an adaptation of a Weight Watcher’s Plum Crostata into an Apple Crostata. Try it, you’ll luv it!

3 small apples (I use two granny’s and one fuji; core, peel, slice)
1/3 cup sugar (I use organic)
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoon flour (I use whole wheat)
1, 15 ounce crust (refrigerated, comes two rolls in a box)
ice cream, optional topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix apple and spice filling. Cover cookie sheet with aluminum and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Lay crust on cookie sheet and press down to spread or thin out (fill in any holes at this time). Add filling to the center of the crust, and fold edges over (apples in the middle are exposed). 5-10 mns. to make and 35-45 mns. to bake (until crust is golden brown). Eat and be merry!

Lisa,

Baby Swiss was okay for me! And I think your sausage should be okay, it won’t have much wine not like drinking a glassful and spices are okay too. Just watch the salts; but they should be okay too if you bought organic, and not MSG.

K

Lisa, love your apple crostata recipe!! Sounds so yummy. I’d love to make it savory too, using sweet potatoes and a little salt!

I’d say if you use your sausages sparingly you’ll be ok. Like Bucholz says, it’s about how much your triggers add up in a day that will determine if/how dizzy. So as long as you’re following the diet, one of those sausages here and there shouldn’t make much of a difference even if there are a couple trigger ingredients. I bought a sweet apple chicken sausage from whole foods (pricy!) but they were totally migraine friendly on the ingredient list.

Something interesting I just found.

share.banoosh.com/2012/10/02/how … feel-good/

We can’t eat the bananas, of course, well I know I can’t. But nettles are an antihistamine, and I know that sometimes we are Rx’d antihistamines so maybe that would help. So is butterbur, btw.

K

Thanks! Anyone know if plantains are OK (ethnic food question); are they different enough from bananas??? According to this article, blueberries and strawberries have the big bad tyrosine??? Is green tea OK if decaffeinated???

I’ve been reading food labels for years and have (edit to had) become quite confident in my choices…now it’s back to the drawing board. I’m now starting to think of what I’m having for dessert first, 'cause it’s easier (out with baklava/nuts, in with flan/eggs); might even start ordering food in this order. I’m making daily progress, but I still encounter sooo many food questions. I can’t stop thanking you all for your daily support:)!!!

The only berry I remember being a no no was raspberries. I eat blueberries and strawberries.

And I am not sure about plantains but I think they may be out…bummer cuz I love them! There’s this Puerto Rican restaurant I used looooooveeee… sigh… I’m a foodie in MAV hell…

Supposedly no green tea but possibly decaf would be okay. Also, there’s that Brain-Beauty guy, can’t remember his name, he says that there is something in regular green tea that stops us from absorbing the caffeine. He is big on green tea. I’m not sure exactly his theory you may want to check him out.

I drink decaffeinated tea, and I sure hope that is okay. My parents were English and if I have to give up my tea I think I may just die!!!

K

Hey all!

I wanted to share what I’ve been doing lately for quick meals that I can grab and eat within minutes during a busy workweek.

On the weekends, I cook up a big batch of ground turkey or a whole chicken, and put on a big pot of brown rice. While that’s all going, I get out the steamer and cook up tons of steamed veggies (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, aspargus, broccoli, cauliflower etc). Once it’s all done, I get out some plastic baggies and spoon a serving of meat, a serving of rice, and a serving of veggies into individual plastic bags and repeat until it’s all gone.

Then I throw the baggies in the freezer (since Bucholz advises against leftovers), and single serving quick lunches and dinners are set for the week! When I’m ready to eat, I take out a baggie and defrost it in the microwave, or put the baggie in a bowl of hot water.

I was cheating a lot on the diet before because I found it time consuming. This trick has kept me loyal to Bucholz’s rules! Give it a try :slight_smile:

Juliemarie

that’s an excellent idea! Does the brown rice un-freeze okay?

K