Fragrances, Chemical Smells

Is this a trigger for any of you?

This is my worst trigger as far as getting the pounding headache is concerned. And it will set my vertigo into warp drive.

I can not tolerate any type perfume, air freshener, chemical smells even fresh flowers are out.

This is a real problem in the work place as most people while they “understand” are not mindful of what they wear and how it may affect those around them.

I was at a doctors appt recently and they had one of those plug in air fresheners in the waiting room and I was sick before I even went back to see the doctor.

Just wondered what your exprinces have been and how you have handled them.

Yeah, I can’t take such smells either. I hate cleaning days at home… and being housebound, that’s as bad as it gets for me at the moment. Even back when I had a semi-normal life I couldn’t stand strong perfumes, though.

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

Yeah, I can’t take such smells either. I hate cleaning days at home… and being housebound, that’s as bad as it gets for me at the moment. Even back when I had a semi-normal life I couldn’t stand strong perfumes, though.

— End quote

We have switched to all non scented, non chemical cleaners at my house and if their is any cleaning that can not be done with those my husband does that and I go to the basement till he is done., doors and windows open til the smell is gone.

The ones we use are dish washing liquid, laundry detergent, all purpose cleaner, softener, and I have even purchased the shampoo, conditioner and hair spray.

There are certain smells that I don’t tolerate well. So far they haven’t sent me into a vertigo attack but they do make me feel extremely car sick. Candles are just about the worst. I can not go into Yankee Candle and when I walk by I hold my breath or breath into my arm.

Perfumes are bad, I know what you mean timeless about people wearing them at work. That and their strongly scented expensive hand lotions are bad news for me and I have found there isn’t much I can do about it. I’ve told people it bothers me but it doesn’t seem to sink in. Someone once told someone not to use their handcream around me because I am “allergic.” I’m NOT allergic, it just makes me sick.

I have to avoid the perfume area in mall stores as well, asthey almost always have someone spraying samples.

I’m okay with the natural smell of flowers, in fact I love that, but the artificial scent I can’t stand

— Begin quote from “bookworm”

There are certain smells that I don’t tolerate well. So far they haven’t sent me into a vertigo attack but they do make me feel extremely car sick. Candles are just about the worst. I can not go into Yankee Candle and when I walk by I hold my breath or breath into my arm.

Perfumes are bad, I know what you mean timeless about people wearing them at work. That and their strongly scented expensive hand lotions are bad news for me and I have found there isn’t much I can do about it. I’ve told people it bothers me but it doesn’t seem to sink in. Someone once told someone not to use their handcream around me because I am “allergic.” I’m NOT allergic, it just makes me sick.

I have to avoid the perfume area in mall stores as well, asthey almost always have someone spraying samples.

I’m okay with the natural smell of flowers, in fact I love that, but the artificial scent I can’t stand

— End quote

Yes candles are a no no also. We have a Yanke Candle shop at the mall where my husband and I walk every day. We go in the mornings before the stores are open and that helps some, bu I like you still hold my nose when I walk by.

Oh yes , the hand lotions are as bad as the perfumes. Agreed, it is not an allergy per say, it makes me sick…and it does start a vertigo attack.

Now as for the flowers roses do not bother me, while others like lillies are a no-no.

Put me in a grocery store with a woman walking by me and the wind carrying her perfume up my nose; it stops me flat in my tracks.
I have dry heaves and nausea.

Heather