Frustrated and Anxious

The last time I posted on here I was feeling frustrated and anxious as well as I was going through a relapse. I started Lexapro at 5mg and re-started Amitriptyline 10mg. That seemed to work fairly well until now. I’m feeling frustrated as I don’t feel I’m doing well and I don’t understand why the medications were working until now. It’s also good to note that for the last year and a half, I have not really been following any of the lifestyle recommendations. I increased the Amitriptyline to 15mg a week ago and just went up to 20mg a few days ago. I feel slightly better but not where I want to be. I am super frustrated and anxious. The worst part is that I don’t feel like myself. I feel really anxious and tired a lot of the time. I don’t feel positive either and that really worries me. I’m trying not to get too anxious but it’s really hard not to.

I guess I’m just overwhelmed too because I felt that Amitriptyline worked pretty quickly for me last time. I’ve read that SSRIs can reduce dopamine so now I’m worried that I’m low on that. I find it extremely hard to get out of bed in the morning and I’m still tired when I wake up, even after a night of good sleep. I’m just completely overwhelmed and not sure what to do.

Are you under a doctor’s care or are you going this alone? Who’s recommendations are you referring to?

Yes, I’m working with a doctor. I’m referring to diet and exercise recommendations that I’ve learned over the years.

I would ask my doctor if I were in your position. He or she is infinitely more qualified to answer those questions.

1 Like

The first thing I would do is to follow all of the lifestyle recommendations.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry much about that stuff, it’s not clear to me the researchers really understand if various neurotransmitter levels increase or decrease for any particular antidepressant. I would give it some more time and try to work on the lifestyle stuff.