Glucosamine & chondroitin less headache?

Well my coccyx was really bad and I read of one person getting relief from this joint/cartlidge supplement. I have been on it a week. Weird results. Headaches virtually gone the last 4 days, sleeping lots lots more (which I needed after 4 hours sleep a night, but didnt really want to feel like sleeping all day as well). Coccyx pain worse (typical I get the opposite of whats supposed to happen) and the good old depression which several pills seem to give me.

Not sure I want to give up on this yet. Has anyone else tried this at all?

Christine

Hi Christine ,
I found this.
Interesting!

Relief of Migraine Headache from Glucosamine

An anecdotal case report of a female with osteoarthritis who received glucosamine at 500mg, 3 times daily, noted that she had relief of her migraine headaches for the first time in 20 years while taking Glucosamine. After this case report, the authors gave glucosamine at 500 to 1,500mg, 3 times daily to 10 other patients with therapy-refractory migraine or migraine-like headaches and noticed after 4 to 6 weeks, there was a significant reduction in the frequency and/or intensity of migraine headaches. In some cases, the migraine relief was dose-dependent, providing relief only after the initial dose of 500mg, 3 times daily, was increased. There were no adverse side effects to the glucosamine noted after the 6-month observation period. The authors believe that supplemental glucosamine may enhance mast cell heparin deficiency, which may have an anti-inflammatory effect and prevent neurogenic inflammation that might cause the pain in vascular migraine headache.7

McAlindon TM, LaValley MP, Gulin JP, Felson DM. Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for Treatment of Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Quality Assessment and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2000;283:1469-1475. Accompanying editorial: Towheed TE, Tassos PA. Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Treating Symptoms of Osteoarthritis: Evidence is Widely Touted but Incomplete. JAMA. 2000;283:1483-4.
Cribbs B. Glucosamine: An Alternative Therapy for Osteoarthritis? UCLA School of Medicine: Nutrition Bytes; 1999; vol 5 no 2
Russell AL. Glucosamine in osteoarthritis and gastrointestinal disorders: an exemplar of the need for a paradigm shift. Medical Hypotheses. 1998; 51: 347-349.
Vas AL. Double-blind clinical evaluation of the relative efficacy of ibuprofen and glucosamine sulphate in the management of osteoarthritis of the knee in out-patients. Current Medical Research Opinion. 1982; 8: 145-149.
Muller-Fassbender H, Bach GL, Haase W, et al. Glucosamine sulfate compared to ibuprofen in osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 1994; 2: 61-69.
These statements are available at rheumatology.org/patients/ho … 70127.html.
“Glucosamine for Migraine Prophylaxis?” Russell AL, McCarty MF, Med Hypotheses, 2000;55(3):195-198.

Mechanisms of action
The effect of chondroitin sulfate in patients with osteoarthritis is likely the result of a number of reactions including its anti-inflammatory activity, the stimulation of the synthesis of proteoglycans and hyaluronic acid, and the decrease in catabolic activity of chondrocytes inhibiting the synthesis of proteolytic enzymes, nitric oxide, and other substances that contribute to damage cartilage matrix and cause death of articular chondrocytes. A recent review summarizes data from relevant reports describing the biochemical basis of the effect of chondroitin sulfate on osteoarthritis articular tissues [20]. The rationale behind the use of chondroitin sulfate is based on the belief that osteoarthritis is associated with a local deficiency in some natural substances, including chondroitin sulfate.

Recently, new mechanisms of action have been described for chondroitin sulfate. In an in vitro study, chondroitin sulfate reduced the IL-1β-induced nuclear factor-kB (Nf-kB) translocation in chondrocytes [21]. In addition, chondroitin sulfate has recently shown a positive effect on osteoarthritic structural changes occurred in the subchondral bone[22].

[edit] Clinical trials