My Dear Friends,
My name is Nick and I have been suffering from the below symptoms from first week of April this year. Can any one related to this ?
- Constant swaying feeling like on a boat which is almost all the time
- Sometimes feeling like falling backwards when brushing teeth and looking at the mirror
- Discomfort to the eyes when looking at certain patterns
- Judgment failure or dizziness when walking up or down the steps.
- Steady balance in the morning for approximately an hour when I get up.
- Swaying starts to occur after approx 1 hour, When brushing teeth and looking at mirror feel swaying.
- Symptoms Increases at work ( work in IT ) or when I go out for shopping
- Feel pressure in forehead especially near the nose when no nose blockage is there
- Feel heaviness and pressure on top of head and ears
- Constant buzzing ( high frequency ) sound in the ear , especially right one.
- My eye do not like when in fluorescent light and I do not like working under fluorescent light and I prefer natural light as these feel better for my eyes
- Wet feeling in ear and sometimes ear feel closed and sometimes open
- Tightness in neck. When rotate neck grinding sound coming from base on neck near to ear
- No headache. But I had bad headache in 2014 summer for days.
- No nausea
- Sometimes observed that when driving it is less
- Sometimes observed the symptoms are not there but for it come later. It is so frustrating.
- I have observed that when I walk I feel like gliding sometimes even if I know I would not fall.
This is going on for now more than a month and I really getting de-motivated. Some days are better than others.
What I have been doing ?
Met one neurologist and he said I have anxiety. I do not think that as I have been in very anxious and tense situation in my life with none of these symptoms. By the way he did all the hearing, balance test all looks normal. Also MRI done looks normal. Blood test done looks normal.
Met one ENT who is a neurotologist as well. He does not think I have anxiety but I may have mild viral infection which may have caused damage to my vestibular nerve. He gave me prednisone for a week. No relief from swaying. Now I am not convinced as if I have vestibular nerve damage then how come in morning I feel fine. Also cannot explain the pressure in my nose near the forehead and heaviness in my head.
Met a vestibular physio and he did a vHIT ( vestibular Head Impulse test ) and he said all looks fine and he gave me few vestibular exercises. He gave 2-3 exercises to do which I am regularly doing.
I am taking the below medicine and supplements.
Sublingual immunotherapy medication for past 1 and half year to control my allergies. It has been helpful so far.
Medicine to reduce my cholesterol rosuvastatin 10mg.
Magnesium ( magnesium aspartate dehydrate 500 mg ) supplement ( Magmin from Blackmore )
Vitamin B12 , Vitamin B2 ,Vitamin D3 ( + cholecalciferol ) and Fish oil
What I think and would request your opinion on ?
I do not think I have Menieres since I never got a rotational vertigo. I do not know what I have but reading the posts from folks on the forum I am thinking VM ( MAV ). I am happy to be diagnosed with ANYTHING as long as I get a treatment , a pill or something to stop my swaying.
My GP asked me to take valium but my ENT neurotologist does not think it may help so did not take it. GP has put me on serc, prochlorperazine, penergan and nothing stops by swaying so I stopped it.
I am planning to see a good neurologist who has helped people in similar situation. The names I am hearing are mentioned below. All are expensive and I do not have much money to spend. So would you please share the experience you had with them . I am based in Sydney.
- Dr Shaun Watson
- Dr Ron Granot
- Dr Miriam Welgampola
- Dr Michael G Halmagyi
Is there hope for me ? will I ever recover from this swaying and feel normal ?
Sorry for the ramble…many thanks for reading.