Had my first major, violent spin attack

Only had the little spins before. Anyone had one of these?

Weird thing was no increase in tinnitus, no obvious effect on hearing whatsoever. Managed not to vomit but was extremely nauseous. Probably the Amitriptyline helped a lot.

Anyone have advice on how to deal with these? Any emergency meds that help to calm it that I can take whilst also on Amitriptyline?

Almost didn’t post this because Im worried Ill scare someone.

Sometimes it’s hard to believe this crap is happening to you …

Ugh

James.

Oh James, what a shame. Yes they happen to me and I have a rescue med called prochlorperazine. It is what they give patients undergoing chemotherapy who suffer the same symptoms. I have the buccal tabs that I put between my gum and cheek and it melts over an hour or so. I sit for that time and after that it takes a further half hour and then I am fine and able to function. Nothing else worked for me. You need to see your doc as it is prescription only. I sound like a junky! Prior to VM I only took paracetamol, now I need all these powerful drugs just to function. I hope you have better luck, but if you do need a med like prochlorperazine it works without side effects which is always good to know, well for me anyway. All the best James, I hope you are feeling better now.

1 Like

Not the only one from the board regulars. Sorry to hear. I’ll try to get that med. Are you allowed to take it when on Nori and Topa?

Yes I can take it with all the other stuff, doesn’t interfere with any of them and is a godsend.

1 Like

Done! Blimey my bathroom cabinet is going to get fuller! Lol

So sorry to hear you’ve joined the gang!:disappointed: Maybe it was just a one-off thing??? - otherwise get the meds to hep you control them!

1 Like

Yeah. Thanks. And this afternoon I’m watching YouTube on PlayStation whilst doing some Thai Chi!

So you’re feeling better, I guess:slight_smile: Good to hear!! I can’t even keep my balance doing Thai Chi in the water at Hydro :laughing: Keep on truckin’ ( or is thatChi’n?)

1 Like

Oh boy that sounds nasty…sorry to hear James! Was it all of the sudden?? In bed? I only had those massive spinning when suffering bppv. Horrible! Like you are going to die if you don’t know what is happening. Really can’t recommend any meds but it sounds like you got a good advice already. Hope you don’t get this anymore and you won’t need this meds!

1 Like

Yes when just lying down at night for a relaxing sleep. Yeah right!!! Yes was a bit of a shock but now I’m used to getting new symptoms. I think I can tick off most of the list now. Lols

Yes. Done my vestibular exercises. Now off for a walk in the sunshine and some salt laden cheesie meal! I know!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Glad to read further down the thread that you are feeling better now. I use Prochloperazine too, the biggest side effect for me from it is that I usually need a nap after I have taken it. My GP told me that I couldn’t take Prochlorperazine and Amitriptyline together, so I was surprised by Margaret’s reply, but I have just done a drug interaction check and the interaction only came up as moderate, monitor closely. So I guess my GP was just being cautious.

Oh thanks for checking Sarah! Much Appreciated! I’ll report back. Hopefully because Ami is only at 20mg that will help.

Obviously for compensation sake it’s best to limit to emergencies only

You never know, you may not need it too often.Hopefully :slight_smile: Do you have any idea what caused your violent spin attack today?

A little of what you fancy does you good!!! An old saying, but I believe in it!

I think that was why I was given the buccal tabs rather than the ones you swallow. Either way they are a godsend as a rescue med so you will be fine using them as such as I am still alive and walking!!!

1 Like

Build up in pressure over a few days I think. Have been nauseaous for a few days after I got stressed out unnecessarily at weekend. So all in all I believe it’s stress this time. I need to chill …

1 Like

Oh dear, I hope you are able to resolve whatever caused you to be so stressed then and take some time to chill this week.

1 Like

Thanks Sarah. I’m sure it was Mr Google. I was again searching for answers and reading ENT science papers. Sometimes I get away with it but other times I end whipped up into anxiety. I think it’s very unwise to do this too much.

Btw so weird, by the time I went out for dinner my balance was pretty good considering. I speculate that the spins release a little pressure in the ear and that can help alleviate some dizziness.

@turnitaround How long did the violent spin attack last? Benzos can also help but it depends how you react to them if you’re in a situation like that and have never taken them. Xanax usually calms my spinning but probably doesn’t help everyone. Valium is known to help others but takes longer to kick in. With a low dose Amitriptyline I was told a low dose benzo could be taken as well.