Have you been diagnosed with anxiety disorder

I was wondering if any of you have been diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder before you found out you had MAV? I feel as though the symptoms of MAV make me feel anxious and can set off panic. Things like seeing light in a strange way with an odd glow; weird symptoms in the supermarket and when watching moving objects particularly if they bounce up and down…

It seems to be really difficult to separate anxiety disorders from inner ear one’s. Is there any one thing that defines one from the other?

Dizzyloopy

wow I thought I was the only one who got triggered by lights, especially floresant lighting. I think I’ve had MAV since 5 yrs old and I’ve always had anxity, but the things you dicribe seem to make it worse or trigger a attack. I wish stores and all the newer buildings didn’t use floresant litghing :cry: . try whereing sun glasses when exposed to it, it helps me sometimes.
Rottiegrl :roll:

Nope, you are not the only one that reacts this way!!! Flickering lights set me off. Loud noises set me off. Tight spaces and bridges and cliffs and stripped wallpaper set me off. Jerky action tv shows set me off. From what I understand this is all normal. …Right??

It would be hard not to feel anxious with seeing things and hearing going haywire. I still get anxious but have learned to try and flow with it. If I am at the store I put on my sun glasses and try looking at the ground more. I will put on ear plugs when needed. It is frustrating but I find that if I try to focus more on something else it help me get through what I am doing. It is uncomfortable and there have been times I can only go home. But I understand what you feel guess alot of people feel the same way.

Linda

All these things are part of MAV but I was told that in time with VRT you can compensate and most of these symptoms will lesson or sometimes almost go away. Sometimes with medication they will also get under control. You shouldn’t have to suffer with all these symtpoms esp if it’s been going on since you were 5 years old. That’s just too long to suffer. When this first started with me I rememeber I could not handle anything. The leaves blowing on trees would set me off and lights, even my kids voices and dogs barking but with medication, VRT and addressing the anxiety through therapy my body has learned to compensate and handle more. It takes time but it can be done. Hang in there and get to the right doctors!!! Don’t just accept this as “normal”…Get help so you can feel better

Hey Dizzy Loopy,

When the rocking motion first went chronic i was told by 2 therapists that i had Panic Disorder. Now…many years later i am told by Doctor Robert Baloh at UCLA that i have MAV or Migraine Equivalent. But Dr. Baloh also said that MAV is right in the same family as Panic Disorder. So who knows for sure which one it is?? Maybe a mixture of both.

Joe

I posted on another thread, a recent article that showed that anxiety and chronic dizziness are tied together, the anxiety comes from the dizziness,
primarily. Because of the anxiety, patients are often told they have panic disorder, when really their bodies are reacting with panic to the feelings of falling or dizziness. You can’t separate the two.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer … med_docsum

Hi Dizzyloopy

I had been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder at the time of getting vertigo at 12 years old, but before getting migraines (unless I was having migraines without aura and didn’t know it) - the migraines with aura started at 16. I now know that it is the vertigo and constant problems with dizziness and balance that made me anxious - and anyone who gets it will understand why. It is really frightening, it makes you feel very unwell, so unwell I can’t explain.

Being a migraneur is anxiety provoking in itself especially if you get visuals, double vision or paralysis, you always just hope it doesn’t happen when you are out alone and away from home. When you are in a bad bout of vertigo it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and that is also very depressing.

Hi Dizzyloop i’m new here and fluro lights are my worst ememy, the anxiety and burning tight sensation in my head i feel as if i have to run out of the shopping centre to elieviate the feeling, if i shop in out doors i dont have this issue. i sure hope my doc’s can find whats wrong, after 13 years of ballance issues i’m surley going bonkas, dose any one here know any docs , that know about or treat MAV in brisbane or the gold cost of Australia, misdiagnosed for 13 and still stumbling.
yes i have had more than one doc who believes its stress .arrrrrrr

jen

— Begin quote from “dizzyloopy”

I was wondering if any of you have been diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder before you found out you had MAV? I feel as though the symptoms of MAV make me feel anxious and can set off panic. Things like seeing light in a strange way with an odd glow; weird symptoms in the supermarket and when watching moving objects particularly if they bounce up and down…

It seems to be really difficult to separate anxiety disorders from inner ear one’s. Is there any one thing that defines one from the other?

Dizzyloopy

— End quote

Hey

I live in Briz as well but travelled to Sydney to see Dr Hamalygi. He was pretty good and gave me my diagnosis after about 13 years of problems. I haven’t got a med. that’s helped yet aside from Xanax 2mg a day.

I asked around a lot for a person to consult in Briz/gold Coast area and I came up blank. I think you’ll need to fork out the cash for the flight and head South to Sydney for the day. It’s worth it for a diagnosis after so many years.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat.

Dizzyloopy

Thanks Dizzyloop, so much for this being such a rare problem, I know this sounds wiered but i’ve never known anyone who has suffered from this exept for those on line, Its kind of conforting to know I’m not crackers. thanks so much i’ll try to make an appiontment with this guy in sydney, but it sounds to me as if all the meds are benzo"s and i can take benzo’s , when i do , they give me the opossite reaction. i go crazy mode Anxiety to the max, plus i worry so much about ever having to come of benzo’s as it’s near impossible from what i’ve hear, much like heroin withdrawal , but then i imagine if it dose the job , its better than nothing.
I was reading online about magniezium vit , they say large doses help for migraine so i bought a bottle and for the last 2 days have found been good, 2 days of not much activity, the only thing you need to be aware of it can cause the runs, if so nock back the dose a bit. instead of taking 1 large dose a day take 3, ect. i hardly had any aura yesterday and my aura are almost constant. most of the time with some free days.
it hasnt done anything for my rocking though sadly, i’m juso over the rocking . any way all the best. thanks jen