Headache Pain since Verapamil? Wth, man?!

Taking Verapamil.

Woke up to a rather good morning. The ‘visuals’ were a little delayed but caught up with me later in the day.

At about 4, a headache began setting up shop at about 4pm. I ignored it because a) I’m on meds to prevent migraines, yeah? b) I don’t get pain with my migraines c) I have a head cold.

At 6, I took a Tylenol.

At 9:30, I went to bed, eyes watering, unable to focus and/or read myself to sleep.

Gone today, leaving behind only a stiff neck as a reminder. My mind is a bit clearer, though, and I don’t appear to be weaving as much. Pain in forehead and base of neck seems to increase as the day progresses.

There’s simply no way for me to know what is thanks to the meds, expected from MAV or due to this cold virus.

Like anything else, time will surely tell. Until then, we live this lovely life filled with painful mysteries and hope.

Hi MJ,

I think one of the most frustrating things about this condition is that as the symptoms are SO varied and unpredictable in their onset that it can be really hard to figure out if a) it’s part of migraine b) it’s a drug side effect or c) it’s something else entirely eg cold/flu, gastric upset or even muscular-skeltal problems (for head and neck pain).

I have no advice to offer I’m afraid - just sharing the frustration.

Vic

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Dear MJ,
A friend and I have very similar symptoms, I feel for you!
We have “many symptoms”
And yeh… It takes time to figure out what’s symptoms are what.

Med’s do confuse things at first.
Eventualy we get to a place where we “tolerate” or our bodies become use to the med’s, and Mav symptoms reduce.
I am now on Effexor and Epilim and SLOWLY getting better.
So far nothing I’ve tried has lasted for ever.

Joe and I have both been suffering for around 16/ 17 years now, with not much help.
I’m so sorry you’ve been having Mav for this long.
Thinking of you, Jen :frowning:

Are the headaches tension-like or migraine-like? Unfortunately, it seems that some get headaches from verapamil, despite it helping their other MAV symptoms. You might be one in the unlucky bunch :frowning: OR it could be something else.

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

Are the headaches tension-like or migraine-like? Unfortunately, it seems that some get headaches from verapamil, despite it helping their other MAV symptoms. You might be one in the unlucky bunch :frowning: OR it could be something else.

— End quote

It starts over my left eye…and spreads across my forehead. Given time, the back of the head acts up - those bumps at the base of your skull right where the spine is.

Thanks for responding.

I got a few headaches (the first in a while) when I began verapamil way-back-when. That subsided after about a week or so, though. Most people acclimate to it fairly well … compared to most other drugs used for MAV, this one is pretty innocuous.

— Begin quote from “georgekoch”

I got a few headaches (the first in a while) when I began verapamil way-back-when. That subsided after about a week or so, though. Most people acclimate to it fairly well … compared to most other drugs used for MAV, this one is pretty innocuous.

— End quote

Thanks. T’would be nice to get through one bottle of meds before doc decides to switch me over. In retrospect, I think the Propranolol might have worked had I stopped the VRT. This was prior to knowing that I have MAV and the VRT was actually just making things worse.

Violent headahe from the minute I started the Verapamil and still have a week after getting off of it.

Sally

Hi Timeless,
Sorry about your headaches. I do hope it is just you adjusting to our friend Vera. I had headaches when I started the med and for the most part I believe Vera has helped me with the head pain a bit.
Hang in a little bit longer if you can. Maybe you can also contact your doc in the meantime and ask if this is normal when beginning this med? Your doc sounded very confident and experienced with MAV.
Best,
Lisa