Hearing quickly goes out and returns

Anyone ever feel a sensation like someone turned down the volume in one ear for a second then comes back on with ringing in the ears?
Had this happen randomly here and there. Scary. I also deal with dizziness, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, tinnitus on a daily basis.

1 Like

I do experience this! It doesnā€™t usually present with an increase in any other symptoms though. It sounds like in a movie, when thereā€™s a bomb or loud noise, and the audio in the movie goes dull then slowly increases with the ringing to simulate how our ears would react.

1 Like

I get this. My ears are often the first sign that Iā€™m going to have an attack, and when it starts to die down a sign the attack is starting to end. Itā€™s like im putting my hands over my ear and removing it quickly again and again with a ringing in the background. Iā€™ve found over time Iā€™m particularly sensitive to certain sounds. I work in a noisy environment and itā€™s not just noise but a certain ā€œtypeā€ of noise thatā€™s uncomfortable. The kind thatā€™s used for dramatic effect in films and on tv. I was unable to watch the DEVS series as I found the sounds unbearable.
My ears are fine, work have them tested regularly and they checked my inner ear area when I had a recent MRI

Clinical MRIā€™s are incredibly low resolution indeed - nowhere detailed enough to pick up issues reliably in the tiny space of the inner ear. In the clinic they are used mainly for looking for acoustic neuromas. If they didnā€™t find one of those (very likely not to find one of those!), all good.

There are some more detailed ones coming on stream, but again, the perilymph and endolymph are still a bit of a blur!

1 Like

That rules out nasties like tumours etc and I think maybe allows some vision of the nerves from memory of the neuro-otologistā€™s comments relating to my own. I had to travel many miles to a particular resolution scanner at his insistence because he wanted to check my ear channels, IAMs. I think it was, whatever that might be. However MRIs arenā€™t really that good. Some people do receive an enhanced MRI and have dyes injected to boost definition.

Ears are obviously well involved in this condition (says a woman who has had two long attacks over the last three weeks with both ears bursting out her head all the time and no other unrelated symptoms. Total lack of balance and nausea both being very closely related). I lean more and more to the involvement of hormones influence on the inner ear as even being the root cause and the cause of associated symptoms but I cannot imagine thereā€™s anyway any evidence of that could be seen on an MRI.

Iv had a brain MRI with and without the die. Also catscan of my ears. They found nothing.

I will say one thing, I feel like ā€œvestibular whateverā€ symptoms are constantly changing. Every month is like a diff scenario or skewed version of the last! Tough to keep up!

Bless you all and hopefully recovery is not far away.

1 Like

In terms of your audiological symptoms, Iā€™d say this - when you have an audiovestibular issue you become hyper vigilant about every change, every nuance, every symptom. Itā€™s completely understandable but also itā€™s very likely you will be over-doing it.

Modern science has not determined fully how the inner ear works, but there are likely to be a whole bunch of ā€˜self regulationā€™ processes around it. Some of these might involve some transitory, brief tinnitus. I wouldnā€™t worry about it, itā€™s probably completely normal.

I noticed a lot of periodic repetitive clicking in my left (bad) ear. I was thinking all kinds of bad thoughts. It definitely happened a lot though. Then one day I noticed this in my good ear and realised that this must be a totally natural healthy process happening, but Iā€™d built it up to be something sinister.

2 Likes

Itā€™s very easy to become over concerned about each and every individual symptom. All the strange sensory symptoms are the result of Central Sensitisation and individually donā€™t actually represent much far as I can see. The very bored look on the neuro-otologistā€™s face as he scanned through the history he had requested I wrote up told me that years ago. Unless itā€™s absolute agony or appears life threatening for example excessive vomiting itā€™s just an everchanging rollercoaster ride.

I agree you def become hypervigilant to every damn symptom. I guess anxiety does come into play. I guess it also doesnt help that I had the symptom the day after I watched the new movie with riz ahmed where he goes deaf. Funny Iā€™m a drummer too! But gave it up this past year, only play the electronic kit if I do since i can control the volume on that!

I also get this wierd sensation whenever i yawn. Itā€™s like a quivering inside my ear, very brief, for a second after the yawn. Wierd as hell, all of these things. But I guess you guys are right, not life threatening. Thx for the responses!

1 Like

sound very similar to me mate. Its a horrible feeling and usually signals a bad spell. What causes it? Who knows. The most annoying thing is trying to describe it to someone. All you get it is a ā€œoh thatā€™s strangeā€

2 Likes

I too get this. It is very annoying. I donā€™t usually let it bother me. I have noticed though that these experiences are harbingers for a migraine coming.

1 Like

Yep me too - I can have the nausea and dizzy spells with nothing else - my ears tell me if a migraine is coming. No tinnitus no migraine!
My husband will ask me ā€œdo you have the ear thingā€

1 Like

Hi, Yes I have this sensation often too, like hearing goes all muffled and ear rings it only lasts for a second or 2. I have your other symptoms too. Maybe your jaws have something to do with your symptoms when you yawn. I have extremely tight jaw muscles and my chewing is uneven, I favour 1 side of my mouth more. The jaw muscles, neck muscles and skull muscles are very closely related, I also had the quivery ear thing when I yawned but after Bowen treatment Iā€™ve improved alot

1 Like

Funny because I alwayshave tight neck muscles and have a history of grinding my teeth. I will look into Bowen, thanks!

1 Like

Yeah the tighter everything was on me, the worse my ear noises and clicking ears. Iā€™m also taking 40mg of Amitriptiline which helps to loosen muscles, so with both things Iā€™m doing pretty well now.

I lean more and more to the involvement of hormones influence on the inner ear as even being the root cause and the cause of associated symptoms.