Help Needed! What is wrong with my husband?

With your use of Amitriptyline, how was your side effects in the beginning? He just started it and he said it feels like a muscle relaxer does this feeling go away?

See:

Has your husband been to the chiropractor and had his atlas bone adjusted? When I first went to my chiropractor, it took about 2 weeks for all symptoms to subside.

Yes. And in his and my opinion itā€™s a scam. We drive 3 hours for the doctor to click his tongue and put light pressure on the neck for 5 mins. He still hasnā€™t had any relief after 4 weeks.

1 Like

Sounds like it. Although some doctors are convinced cervical vertigo is a thing.

I would try Amitriptyline asap.

Heā€™s been on it for about a month and nothing

1 Like

Well at least you are trying. At what dose? Normally you start at a pretty low dose.

20mg nightly

1 Like

And is he getting out of the house and walking?

The only thing that we have found that clears all symptoms is 5mg of Valium. But he canā€™t take it everyday.

Not sure that answered my question.

if heā€™s super chronic (and it sounds like he is), he will probably need higher doses and a longer time on treatment to respond.

amitriptyline has some of the highest probabilities of any medication in helping VMā€¦give it more time and talk about higher doses with MD

No still bedbound.

I highly recommend you get some alternate opinions and if thereā€™s a possibility this is actually secondary hydrops or MAV then heā€™s got to try to get up and out however initially uncomfortable and start to try to compensate. Amitriptyline at low dose can actually help with that process.

It used to be very uncomfortable (especially initially) for me but I used to walk over 2 hours a day. I attribute that in part as to why I mostly have recovered.

You cannot expect there to be any silver bullet. He will have symptoms and those are a given with these kind of conditions. Instead you have to look at the longer term pay-off of getting as active as possible as soon as possible. Staying in bed is just going to do nothing for him.

With having Meineres, does anyone have issues with chronic neck pain? We have been working on the neck recently instead of the ear since it was just too much doing both for him. He had a left side nerve ablation, but did not relieve any pain. Going to do the right side this week. Any ideas?

Neck stiffness comes from a vestibular deficit (however arrived at) as the brain aims to stabilise the eyes to make up for problems with signals from ears.

Did you follow my suggestion of getting alternative opinions?

Distinguishing Meniereā€™s from MAV or Secondary Hydrops is very important.

If I were you I would only follow a medical route (read: ā€œmedicineā€) here if things are uncertain.

You canā€™t solve this via surgery with current technology.

Your husband sounds like he has very a-typical Meniereā€™s if it is Meniereā€™s at all.

The chronic, constant nature matches the MAV/VM/Secondary Hydrops profiles. Meniereā€™s is generally much more episodic, with (at least initially) very little in the way of symptoms between episodes.

Iā€™m no medic, hence seek plenty of opinions before doing anything destructive or irreversible or you risk leaving your husband with permanent disability.

In terms of my worst symptoms I was very much in your husbands position and it took me 3.5 years to get through most of the woods, but Iā€™ve mostly recovered because I followed a highly conservative regime with zero surgical or destructive intervention.

Canā€™t speak to Meineres, but the neck stiffness comes from the MAV, not the other way aroundā€¦

I would strongly encourage you to seek additional opinions before continuing with surgical interventions.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe he will will get surgery for the neck. We were just trying to understand what is causing the neck so much chronic pain. We have been to several doctors and no one can figure out what the issue is. Since the Botox for migraines, he has had many issues with vertigo, chronic neck pain, dizzy most of the day, tinnitus, and full ness in the ear. The only time he feels normal like relief from anything is when he takes Valium. I know with most people Valium makes them like on Cloud 9, but him it doesnā€™t. He can walk, he can drive, he sees clearer, the fullness and all that settles. But of course itā€™s a drug that is highly addictive so we know itā€™s not a long term thing. Valium calms the central nervous system down so if that is helping what is the underlying issue? MAV, Meineres, Lyme? Doctors donā€™t have an answer and I too do not want to have him do anything destructive or invasive and make things worse.

1 Like

Then what did you mean by this?:

Nerve ablation is when they go in and burn the nerves. He had it done to C4, 5, 6, and 7. And then he has his right side done tomorrow, but it didnā€™t help with pain.

1 Like