Hormone question

First of all I don’t know what I have other than episodic vertigo and pretty much constant motion sickness. So I’m not even sure if I am hanging around in the right forum but maybe by learning more here I will be able to find out.

I know migraine headaches are often worse during a woman’s period. I’ve had migraines in the past but never noticed a correlation between the two. I’m 54 and haven’t had a period for 4 years, I also haven’t have a migraine for 4-5 years. Also, my vertigo only started a year and half ago (but motion sickness has been with me for years and years and years and years).

Does anyone know if this is typical of any kind of MAV pattern? Maybe migraines change they way they show in a woman after menopause? I’ve been trying to find something on the web about this but can’t find anything. In fact there is very little about MAV at all, it is so discouraging. Most sites that do have something about it copy Dr. Hain’s article so it really isn’t anything new that I am reading.

If anyone knows anything about the pattern of a migraine changing after menopause please let me know.

— Begin quote from ____

Often the patient has a prior history of migraine headaches, but feels that they have resolved. Milder head or neck pain or pressure may replace the pounding headaches and accompany the dizzy symptoms. A family history of migraines may be helpful in the diagnosis, as may a history of unexplained falling spells and motion sensitivity as a child.

— End quote

From a letter Hopkins gives to their patients (not a lot of good stuff in there IMHO, except parts like that).
Migraines changing with hormones and thus menopause seems to be really common as well!

BTW, the “motion sickness” is by far my worst symptom. That, the related nausea, and also headaches. The headaches aren’t episodic as they used to be, though (every few months?) but rather constant, these days.

Hain told me that unless I am solidly postmenopausal, i should have my hormones checked. My rocking started perimenopausally. Becoming postmenopausal did not stop it.

My ENT which diagnosed this also said that I should have my hormones check because according to him it can play a role in the symptoms being worse or better and as he explained it , it is just one more trigger that reduces your threshold and may make the symptoms worse at time.

Are your taking any medications or what else are you doing to try and alleviate your symptoms.

Hi,
Your situation is similar to mine. I have posted on this site under the post: Progesterone to treat MAV". The Nerotologist I saw at Dartmouth Hitchcock (Dr. James Saunders) diagnosed me with MAV. I am 52 with no period for 2 years now. I almost always had some level of a migraine with headache with my menstrual period for 30 years. Once my period stopped, the headache stopped, but was replaced with vertigo. I too have always had motion sickness in varying degrees. This doctor told me that MAV is very common in perimenopause and the migraine activity of the brain changes, in a way the vertigo replaces the headache. A headache neurologist I recently saw also confirmed this and said migraine activity can change it’s pattern of symptoms over time, and perimenopause is a major change.

Right mow I am taking some natural progesterone in very small amounts, and it has helped, but I would recommend doing it with a practitioner who understands natural hormonal balance. The nerotologist told me progesterone was relaxing for the brain and for some people it helped.

I wish you answers and better health, keep searching for the health care practitioner who will work with you.
Kathy

— Begin quote from “kathyreo”

Hi,
Your situation is similar to mine. I have posted on this site under the post: Progesterone to treat MAV". The Nerotologist I saw at Dartmouth Hitchcock (Dr. James Saunders) diagnosed me with MAV. I am 52 with no period for 2 years now. I almost always had some level of a migraine with headache with my menstrual period for 30 years. Once my period stopped, the headache stopped, but was replaced with vertigo. I too have always had motion sickness in varying degrees. This doctor told me that MAV is very common in perimenopause and the migraine activity of the brain changes, in a way the vertigo replaces the headache. A headache neurologist I recently saw also confirmed this and said migraine activity can change it’s pattern of symptoms over time, and perimenopause is a major change.

Right mow I am taking some natural progesterone in very small amounts, and it has helped, but I would recommend doing it with a practitioner who understands natural hormonal balance. The nerotologist told me progesterone was relaxing for the brain and for some people it helped.

I wish you answers and better health, keep searching for the health care practitioner who will work with you.
Kathy

— End quote

Kathy, thanks for that info. Sounds like you and I have many similarites with our symptoms. I will bring it up the hormone issue with my new doctor when I visit him. I’m not sure if I can do the progesterone though, I have a history of bc so there might be a problem there. I have never had any doctor check my hormone levels, I wish someone had somewhere along the line.