How do you manage vestibular migraine during the COVID-19 Pandemic

Iā€™ve just tested positive for covid. The dizziness is already worse - particularly head intolerance, Iā€™m only a bit achey so far. Wish me luck!

2 Likes

Best of luck my love! Sorry youā€™re unwell! :face_with_head_bandage: I hope your dizziness stays at a manageable level for you :crossed_fingers:t3:

If it helps you to know I am now in a full blown relapse and thatā€™s been starting from the beginning of the month. Now housebound again, and increasing Amitriptyline to 75mg. Ugh when will it endā€¦

2 Likes

Good luck both of you! Know you will return to baseline. Itā€™s just a bump in the road!

@Belindy I was luckier: Iā€™m sure I had Omicron recently (awful cough for 3 weeks or so) but my MAV symptoms did not get worse thank goodness!

1 Like

Thank you James, :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Oh no @MNEK18, your relapses have become so frequent. Itā€™s just not fair. Thinking of you, both housebound for the time being.

@turnitaround thatā€™s good. The strain here at the moment is quite bad, lots of people coming back to work after more than 3 weeks off. Maybe Delta has reared itā€™s ugly head again. Hope itā€™s quick and I go back to baseline.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess it could happen. The more of it we get, of course, the better we will be to equipped to fight it off. This is especially important before we get older. So think of it as a blessing to get infected before you are less able (however uncomfortable and disruptive it is now)? The immune system usually benefits from a reasonable (so long as not overwhelming!) workout.

1 Like

Well Iā€™m day 5 and itā€™s been awful. Still spiking fevers, night sweats and coughing like crazy. The dizziness has lessened and I hope it stays away! Maybe focused on other things.

That is not good. The people I know personally who had covid got better after 6-7 days, but the cough lingered for a few weeks. Hopefully youā€™ll feel better soon and the dizziness goes and stays away.

1 Like

Ok so Iā€™m a wild turn of events, I have had a 2 day long horrid migraine - Iā€™m going to call it - I feel worse with this compared to covid. Dizzy, heavy, brain fog, photophobia, vomits the works!

For those who have had covid, do you think this is because of covid or not? Iā€™m due back at work tomorrow and just not up for it. Iā€™m at the tail end of Ajovy too and canā€™t have next injection till Friday.

Sorry to hear you are suffering Belindy. My eldest daughter had Covid recently in her second trimester. She doesnā€™t get headaches often but had lots with Covid, a hacking cough and vomiting. She felt better in herself after about a week and tried to go back to work (WFH luckily)but still had headaches and vomited (often due to the remaining cough) for another few weeks. She has a lot of sympathy for me now she has an inkling of what we go through.

I think that apart from the symptoms of Covid itā€™s actually a bit scary and stressful just to know you have it which would mess with MAV and certainly the headaches and vomiting would also exacerbate Mav and raise your ā€œthresholdā€

Hope you feel better soon and can take a bit longer off work.

1 Like

Thanks @sputnik2 - youā€™re right, there are definitely longer symptoms but this is something else.

I feel mostly better from covid. A little cough remains and Iā€™m tired.

I honestly think Iā€™m relapsing. I woke up again this morning vomiting in a bucket. Iā€™m yawning, Iā€™m weak and Iā€™ve got a headache in the usual places. Non stop! This is exactly how I felt 18 months ago - except the vertigo was worse. Itā€™s not going away after days now.

I have a Tele health appointment with my neurologist tomorrow. Iā€™ve had my Ajovy injection 2 days early today and I think Iā€™ll take some pizotifen tonight. Noooooo! Why must we get it so much worse than others

Belindy thatā€™s so horrible. Vomiting migraines are the worst. I really hope you get some great advice on your tele appointment. Relapses are the pits. Iā€™ve been relapsing ( as has my son who gets occular and regular migraines), feels like our lives are on hold. The sun is out but we canā€™t face it.

If you feel you are on the mend after a week of Covid Iā€™d say you have done very well. As it can so readily affect balance MAVers could easily find it much more severe. Last week My own GP was flat out in bed unable to move for five full days and heā€™s fighting fit with no other health conditions at all.

Could well be a relapse as you say. Maybe the Ajovy hadnā€™t been in your system long enough/at high enough dose to cope with such an assault as Covid on your tolerance levels. However whatever measures we take thereā€™s bound to be a level beyond which this will happen. Up until last Christmas I was sailing along very nicely until an hour long MRI Scan put me into relapse.

Btw had you taken up the offer of vaccination yet?

1 Like

Is there another type? If so Iā€™ve yet to meet one. Maybe Iā€™ve led too sheltered a life.

Totally off topic but I couldnā€™t resist! Helen

1 Like

Yes Iā€™ve always had the vomiting type! I feel that after reading so many posts on here, I am more of the vomiting type. I vomited my way through my first major episode every day. Itā€™s the pits!

I know Helen, I worry about Ajovy. I sometimes want more armour. And right again, covid is awful and really as bad as it was, it was ā€˜mildā€™ for me. A walk in the park compared to this now!

Yepā€¦ Iā€™ve been vaccinated 3 times. Kept it mild I would have thought. I didnā€™t have any shortness of breath.

I wonder if this is what they call ā€˜post covid headacheā€™. Lots written about it - and more prevalent in migranours. Weeks to months of persistent headache. Oh god!

An hour long mri! Wow. Hope they didnā€™t find anything. Hope youā€™re travelling ok now Helen

Here is an interesting article about post-covid headaches: Migraine and Post-COVID Headache | AMF

Nothing in this article I liked! Phrases like ā€˜six monthsā€™ and covid has been associated with chronification of migraine and worsening of migraineā€™ā€¦

Post covid headaches shares the same sensitivity to light, sound, smell. Isnā€™t it a migraine then?

ā€˜Itā€™s a headache that mimics their migraine but doesnā€™t respond to their usual treatmentsā€™ - YEP

And here I was thinking it was a cough and fevers. Of course there had to be more.

Maybe this is really what I have after all. Considering (touch wood) dizziness and vertigo have been missing this time.

Havenā€™t I got a fun couple of months ahead. A migraine that doesnā€™t go away.

1 Like

I suspect some smart Alec medical theorist somewhere would tell you it cannot be a migraine because migraine is a primary headache and this post-Covid headache would be considered secondary because itā€™s caused by another condition! All very good these theorists but not a large amount of assistance to those suffering.

Trouble is both conditions share many of the same neural pathways. I remember catching part of a local TV program on covid and for a couple of minutes thinking the interviewee must have been a MAVer. Turned out they were some of the earliest Long Covid victims.

Back to the Pizotifen maybe. Btw I recall on line references to Pizotifen being useful with light sensitivity though not on here.

@Belindy hey, just wondering how youā€™re doing?

1 Like