How do you manage vestibular migraine during the COVID-19 Pandemic

This pandemic is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation. I have been facing an enormous problem in getting optimum care because of difficulty in access, forced social isolation, and encountering a health system that is getting rapidly overwhelmed.

How do you manage migraine in the Times of COVID-19 Pandemic

Lack of access to health care has been an issue for me, too. The only thing you can do is work the rest of the steps.

De-stress

COVID despite the hype, hysteria and propaganda, really isnā€™t all that deadly though in a rare few cases itā€™s serious. The US CDC says 94% of people listed as COVID deaths died with it rather than of it. The average age of a COVID death is 80 with an average of 2.5 comorbidities. Nearly 45% of COVID deaths are in nursing homes despite only representing 7% of cases. VM is not a comorbidity danger for COVID. COVID is serious but not worth panicking about. Here in Washington State, the 2018/2019 flu and pneumonia season was 27x more deadly than COVID has been. I say these things to remind you fear is a tool, you donā€™t have to accept it. Let go of as much stress as you can.

All the rest of it

• Follow the migraine diet and leave out all alcohol, caffeine and your own triggers.
  • Hydrate and get adequate electrolytes.
  • Follow proper sleep hygiene.
  • Stay away from screens and other light triggers.
  • Get as much exercise as you can tolerate.
  • Pray, meditate, read or do whatever works for you to get in a more calm and spiritual state.
  • Take your supplements if you have them.
6 Likes

Great post to read thanks for sharing this one.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Bumping this thread as I have been caught in the new Omicron wave sweeping London. I tested positive for Covid on Monday, when I had nausea, fatigue and slight fever. In Tuesday I feit better, more energetic, sore throat but generally continuing to carry out basic tasks like making a meal and tidying up. Then I crashed and have been up and down since. Today, Friday, is the worst day so far. I keep thinking Iā€™m through the worst, but now Iā€™m not sure.

The fatigue is unreal. Predictably, the MAV has flared big time, so going to the bathroom from bed is an ordeal. I have been doing so well up to this point, and feeling so so so disheartened. I had 2 doses of AstraZeneca (last one in June) and was due to have my booster but didnā€™t quite get there.

Has anyone else had Covid? Iā€™m not finding much on the search. Please tell me itā€™s going to be ok :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

I was down in London a couple of weeks ago and also caught a virus. It never got that bad that I thought about testing but main symptoms have been sore throat, cough and a little fatigue. MAV has stayed in the jar thankfully but I can feel my left Eustachian tube is swollen so itā€™s painful to eat today. (At first I thought it was my teeth or gums but apparently not!)

Iā€™m a wait and see-er and not been vaccinated.

Your experience given you are vaccinated is disappointing to say the least.

However Iā€™m sure you will pull out of it in days. Good health to you!

1 Like

Thanks James. I really hope so. For the first time in years, Iā€™ve had to crawl to the bathroom and feel nauseated by any movement or absolutely none.

I would defo encourage you to get tested. It is absolutely rife in London at the moment!

1 Like

Oh wait if itā€™s a couple of weeks ago, youā€™re probably fine!

1 Like

I canā€™t answer your question, because I have not had Covid, but I want to wish you a speedy recovery!
Here in Australia we are told that vaccination protects against severe disease and that Omicron is less severe. Based on your account, that is clearly not the case.

2 Likes

Thanks for your well wishes. I hope you manage to avoid it. It probably wouldnā€™t feel so awful if it werenā€™t for the hellish vertigo! The fatigue is really disconcerting though. My husband is fine, he had a day of coughing, sweating and runny nose and now is clearly on the mend. My symptoms are totally different. I was pleased we might have the new variant as it might be less severe, but Iā€™m not so pleased now!

1 Like

Hi there, just to add my twopence-worth. I am in South Africa and tested positive for Omicrom/Covid on Wednesday. To be honest, if it were not that we were expecting our kids for Christmas, (plus a day visit from a relative with a lot of health problems) I never would have even bothered to be tested, as I have certainly had much worse head colds in the past! I was actuary shocked to see the positive result!!! I had a slight cough and scratchy throat, no fever or body aches! Tinnitus ramped up a bit and I had low grade dizziness (not vertigo!), but that seems to have cleared by today. So far not the extreme fatigue that many reportā€¦but I do suffer from fatigue with the Menieres, deafness and MAV anyway, so hard to tell! It seems that this Omicrom if much more transmittable, but so far hospitals are reporting low admissions for complications here. I have had both (phizer) vacā€™s, which ā€˜theyā€™ maintain helps to keep symptoms mild. (???) I am just grateful for whatever it is that has gifted me a mild version - I have seen many not so lucky!!! ā€˜Christmasā€™ as been postponed to later in Jan, as I am officially ā€˜out of isolationā€™ on 25th! :roll_eyes: Meanwhile, my house is getting the best clean it has seen in years!!! In fact, I was quite sure the snotty nose was allergies from stirred up dust from ages past!!!

3 Likes

I normally try hard not to give into health-related jealousy, but I am so jealous of your mild symptoms! I hope they stay that way.

I got excited when I first tested positive as I didnā€™t start feeling awful for a few days after, thought Iā€™d got away with it. Maybe just my luck, or maybe my jabs were just too long ago. I get a feeling the virus has identified my weak point and thought ā€˜this is where Iā€™ll get her!ā€™

Someone told me last week: one day at a time with Covid. I didnā€™t understand, but now I get it. So many times now Iā€™ve thought, this must be it, surely the worst is over, to get another surprise later that day or the next. Riding a very unpredictable ride.

I am so sorry for you having to deal with this thing, and I do hear you about health-related jealousy!!! I experience that often on many levelsā€¦
Although my symptoms remain ā€˜mildā€™, I am experiencing the same upā€™s and downā€™sā€¦when I wrote this I was better, then yesterday it all came back again , and today seems better again! So yes, very inconsistent!! One day at a time, indeed!! And yes, I firmly believe that his thing does hit you at your health/bodyā€™s weakest point!! Iā€™ve noticed that in other people - not just MAVvers! Iā€™m presuming you are in the U.K., and as far as my reading goes (if the media is getting it right!), you still have both the more severe Delta variant as well as the Omicrom circulating! Sounds like you may be unfortunate enough to still have the Delta. Apparently Omicrom has spread so swiftly here that it is the only one still circulating. Whichever, I hope you soon feel better!! For my part, I just want to stay out of hospital - that is my biggest fear in my country at this time!!!

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m in the uk, and who knows which strain i have. We havenā€™t been told. I was on an upper yesterday evening, even managed to eat some dinner and read a few pages of a book. This morning the MAV/ Covid symptoms are full blown again. Mornings are worst Iā€™ve noticed.

Hope yours continues to be gentle and no hospital visits! Here they are brimming over, I reckon youā€™d have to be lucky to get in. :pray::hugs::blue_heart:

1 Like

Not taking away anything from those who are genuinely ill and need help (who should really seek it out), but apparently there has also been a deluge of frightened individuals with mild symptoms and unconfirmed ā€œCOVIDā€ turning up at hospitals. States really have to be careful not to scare people too much: it doesnā€™t help those that are coping with symptoms either, lying in bed and thinking the worst when this is unwarranted.

2 Likes

I mean that doesnā€™t surprise me at all. Anxiety levels have been going through the roof steadily anyway over the past couple of years. My symptoms are ā€˜mildā€™ by government definitions and Iā€™m really freaked out and suffering.

1 Like

We have been there, James - where people lie in passages for days, and family canā€™t get any information or get things to patients. However, it SEEMS that is not the case at this time as the powers that be are claiming very low hospital admissions. However - sadly, that is not very exciting for the mediaā€¦??? ā€¦so they need to keep the fear and panic going! I am NOT trying to take anything away from those who have genuinely been desperately ill or lost their lives, but yes - it does keep one in a state of anxiety!! Even with my mild symptoms, I still worry that it may change at any time because of all the stories out there!

1 Like

I totally hear youā€¦even with my mild symptoms, my anxiety levels are high because of all that has been reported! I hope yours soon settles down and your anxiety levels drop!
Just out of interest - seems covid is like MAV - different for everyone!! I tend to be much better in the mornings (as with MAV/Meniereā€™s), progressing negatively as the day progresses! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, my MAV has always been better in the mornings, gradually getting worse, like you describe. When my Covid started, it was like that, then I crashed and burned on day 5, since then symptoms have been worse in the morning and a little easier in the afternoon/ evening. Thank you, I also really hope it improves soon. Though looks like Iā€™ll be in bed for longer than I hoped/ imagined. :disappointed::disappointed:

I had covid 10/29 to about 11/16 plus some lingering symptoms that lasted about a month from onset of symptoms. Nasty but I lived. 99.7% of us will live through it just fine. Even long covid can be treated if you look for the resources (like the Front Line Covid Critical Care Alliance protocol. Home - FLCCC | Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (covid19criticalcare.com)) Itā€™s a tough one - even on several of the early treatment medications. The first 5 days were like a really mild flu. After that was a short but intense bout of bronchitis. Lingering symptoms for me were burning lungs (from the violent coughing) and some mild loss of taste and smell. For a while my lips were numb but who knows with MAV whatā€™s homegrown and whatā€™s introduced. Iā€™m unvaccinated so canā€™t comment on the vaccinated experience. I can say itā€™s maybe five weeks since I came back to work and I feel completely normal. As an added bonus, Iā€™m now immune and completely worry free on the covid front.

Good luck Springer!

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience, and for the link. Iā€™ll have a good read of it later. Itā€™s really helpful to hear from our community about recovery. I just have to trust itā€™ll pass through soon. In the meantime, Christmas in bed it shall be. :blue_heart:

1 Like