How to handle remission?

Hi all,

This may be a stupid inquirery, but I truly believe I’m heading into remission from MAV. The last 5 day’s I’ve been very normal meaning back to my old self. Aside from just being a little dizzy when I’m extremely tired. But pretty good overall. Now the last times this has been happening, I end up having a setback that’ll knock me silly for about 2 weeks and then I start getting to the point where I am now for about a week or so, then I’ll have another setback.

When I started noticing this pattern back in January, I developed a plan to get back in the gym and hit it nice and hard. I started that in late feb. Pretty much most of March has been one long setback. I did expect that because I know working out would change some things and cause a setback. I’m still hitting the gym 5 days a week, but also now the MAV has really lifted a lot and I’m better now than I have been since it’s all started 2 years ago.

I’m not on any meds. I have just cleaned up my diet and have been doing weights and cardio in the gym. For some reason, my best days seem to come after I do my legs on wednesday. When I work out legs, I don’t do any cardio. But the thursday and friday I’m pretty much dizzyless. I am still trying to figure out why lifting weights with my legs causes such an improvement in dizziness in the day’s following. If anyone knows the answer to that, please fill me in.

But how can I stay in remission once it starts?

Greg

1 Like

Hi Greg,

Congrats on feeling so well and getting this thing caged. It looks like you are one of the lucky ones who has been able to sort this out with lifestyle alone.

While there is no guarantee it won’t flare up again on you, it’s also possible that it will lie dormant now indefinitely as long as you keep living a migraine lifestyle.

Just enjoy the peace and the clarity. I wouldn’t think about it but maintain the exercise and diet regimen.

You should post in the success thread about how you have turned this around when you think you’re there.

Cheers
S

1 Like

Hi Greg

Good to hear your news. I would just keep on doing what you’re doing now. I’m not on meds either and do fairly well unless I get over tired, over stressed or stray too much from my diet. If I do all three at the same time, I nealy always end up with an episode which can last for a day, a few days, a week or sometines a few weeks but once I get back to my regime again I get back to baseline.

I agree with Scott’s advice - just live the migraine lifstyle that suits you, don’t worry about possible flare ups, and enjoy life.

All the best to you

Brenda

Hi Greg,
That is such terrific news! I too am going med free and hoping with exercise and clean lifestyle like you mentioned I too can try to be a success story as well. Did you ever try meds btw?
Christine

That’s fantastic Greg. Happy days!!! Stay positive, maintain your diet and enjoy! Any tips on your new clean diet? I too love to work out at the gym but find that it seems to bring on some pretty nasty headaches. Congrats!!
Kylie

Hey Greg,

Great to hear that things are going so well for you! :smiley:

My advice while you are still on the road to wellness is to proceed with caution - don’t push yourself too hard. I have a bad habit of doing this, as I start to get better I assume I’m fine and I start back in with late nights, alcohol and lots of tea and Diet Coke. And I pay for it. So just take it at a fairly measured pace until you feel like you really are consistently at 90+ % and then - enjoy!!

Vic

Greg,
It seems the logical thing to do is work legs every other day!!
:slight_smile:
Kelley

Thanks everyone,

I have had MAV for exactly 2 years now. I have tried different vitamins and some other natural stuff. I’ve also tried a little bit of chiropractor. I have tried Nortryptaline and periactin earlier into this mess. Nort was a good help, but I wasn’t satisfied. Periactin didn’t seem to do much. My problem is that I don’t want to be on meds. Not that I don’t believe in them cause I really do. Just take a look through the success stories and you’ll see they really work. Here’s what I’ve been doing since late february:

My diet is quacker oats oatmeal with some whey protein and flax seeds in the morning. Brown rice pasta mixed with spagetti sauce and ground chicken (tastes awesome). And whole wheat bread and omega 3 peanut butter throughout the day. Watermellon, apples and cantelope for fruit. Green beans and a whole ton of broccoli for vegi’s. Oh, and nothing but water to drink, period.

I know some of the things I’ve been chowing on have some migraine triggers in it, but my assumption is that they are not triggers for me. The reason I am using them in my diet is cause I love the taste and I didn’t want to deprive myself of everything I loved cause I could get a little depressed which can also be a trigger, so I just picked my poison there. Plus there is no obvious food triggers that I know of for me.

Now here is where I think has made the biggest difference thus far. My work out program. Before when I’d dive into exercise, I was only doing cardio, and it would help, but it did feel as if something was missing and I still had many symptoms. When I got cleared to lift weights again, I set up a new work out plan. One that included weight lifting and cardio. It only takes me about 30-40 minutes in the gym to complete the workout.

It is in no doubt working. The weight lifting is the significant force behind my success this far. Especially when doing my legs. I thought about doing legs more days a week like Kelley suggested, but If I did that, my legs would probably fall off my body. I work them pretty hard to the point where is tough to walk the next 2 days. Plus I’m also doing 20 mins of cardio on the days I don’t work out my legs.

The past few weeks I’ve actually strayed from the diet a bit more than I should have and it doesn’t seem to bother me at all. But the whole month of March, I was very strict with the diet. Except on a few of the saturday nights when I drank some alcohol. I have also been taking the Intramax still. I’ve been out of it for a week now though and I want to see if I can still manage without it. We’ll see.

I’m not completely out of the woods yet. And I’m sure I have to keep up the exercise to maintain, but my setback this past week went a lot differently than they usually have. Usually when I’d have a setback, I’d get hit with a wave of dizzines (not spinning vertigo, just some nasty off balance), and I wouldn’t recover and get back to my baseline until nearly 2 weeks later. But the last setback I had, I got hit with the wave of dizziness, and I recovered within 10 minutes and my baseline has basically been me back to normal the way I used to be. It’s been absolutely amazing the last couple weeks. I just want to be able to sustain.

Greg