I aborted my migraine without medication through meditation for the first time

You might think I am crazy but I had to share this with all of you. I’ve never been a crazy meditation fanatic.

I went on a jog tonight, completed 2 miles for the first time since my VM symptoms started. Felt great but immediately after started feeling symptoms of a bad migraine episode to start. (Sometimes exercising a trigger for me, I do it regardless). Head started pounding and immediately my vertigo went from a 2/10 to a 7/10. I started to get anxious knowing that if I wait too long I won’t be able to abort. Grabbed my medication in one hand and water in the other, ready to pop my abort meds so I won’t have to suffer the next day and miss work and stay in bed all day.

But I decided to dedicate 10 minutes into meditation to see if it would help. I decided I would take the medication after if it didn’t help. I focused on breathing through my lower abdomen very slow (not my shoulders or my chest) and imagining a beautiful lake with surrounding greenery in my stomach. Focused on breathing slowly and imagining a beautiful shiny lake in my stomach. And just like that…. I was able to abort without my meds for the first time. I can’t wait to try it again and some people may not believe my or think I’m crazy. But it happened!

This is the breathing technique I used.
https://youtu.be/AUoRvDUtC68

2 Likes

Meditation is proposed as a remedy for “adrenal fatigue syndrome” (which it is said can lead to tinnitus and vertigo), I’ve shared this elsewhere but will repeat it here as I think it’s so interesting!:

https://www.drlamcoaching.com/blog/do-you-have-a-metabolic-inner-ear-disorder-part-2/

“Managing stress is another big component of adrenal fatigue recovery, because stress is the main cause of AFS in the first place, and it is a contributing factor in the triggering or worsening of a metabolic inner ear disorder. If the stress is psychological, you have many options. You can go to therapy, find support groups, meditate, read self-help books, or ask for support from trustworthy family or friends.”

Yes! I have of adrenal insufficiency before and these people appear to have low DHEA levels. DHEA converts itself to a lot of other hormones like testosterone and estrogen, and sometimes cortisol depletion (due to continued stress) are associated with abnormally low DHEA. It’s crazy what stress does to our bodies. It’s definitely an interesting topic

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have just recently begun to investigate neuroplasticity as a possible tool for use in my healing (VM diagnosis but think i might have PPPD as well). Your experience with meditation is very encouraging!

Yes! I truly believe that if this is a sympathetic nervous system disorder, it can be helped by participating in activities that intentionally are designed to calm the system.

Don’t get me wrong, I am also taking preventive medications to take the edge off the dizziness. However I have a background veritgo, that varies in intensity depending on the day. It never leaves me…. Leaving me exhausted at times. I am trying to address this by meditating, mindfulness, and yoga.

There is a yoga routine on on Netflix led by by xochilt Hoover called “root to rise flow.” I don’t know how it works, but I think it resets my system. I focus on breathing and syncing the breathes to her instructions. When I completed her routine, I feel as if the intensity of the dizziness improves drastically for the next 30 minutes to an hour. Unfortunately the vertigo comes back, but it’s fascinating. Hope this helps

2 Likes

Such a good attitude to your symptoms. I’m sure that will help you improve!

1 Like

I finally feel at best starting this week. I’ve been practicing Neuroplasticity and my dizziness is at its lowest in 4 months. I still have it at all times, but I would rate it a 1/10 for 5 days straight in a row. I also have a migraine at all times but again, it’s now manageable. I’m convinced this is working for me!!!

2 Likes

Jessica, does this update relate directly to the OP? If not this Post would be better on your intro Topic or even better in a #personal-diaries topic.

I have found that I can abort certain attacks by mentally converting the dizziness to sleepiness. Idk exactly how it works but I can shift the sensation to one or the other

2 Likes