I am better! I am so thankful!

Hi everyone! I haven’t posted in awhile and I just wanted to log on and let everyone know that I’m getting better! :slight_smile: I can’t believe it, but Nortriptyline is helping me! I still have 24/7 disquilibirum but it’s way less then it was and I’m actually going places again! I even went to the American Idol concert last week (wore ear plugs) when it came to Phoenix. I was dizzy during the concert (the flashing lights made me dizzy), but it wasn’t that bad at all. Nortriptyline has taken away probably 80% of my dizziness in the head and I almost feel normal when sitting and laying down. I still have disequilibrium when walking, but I am hoping everyday that it will become less and less and will one day go away completely. Going on the computer still makes my symptoms increase dramatically so I try not to log onto the computer that much, but other then that I’m feeling a bit better each day!

You are all in my thoughts. This illness is the most awful, debilitating thing I have ever experienced and I want you to know that you can get better. Just a few months ago I thought I would never feel well again. The ground constantly felt like a trampoline, suspension bridge, moving boat, etc. My vision would shift and shake all the time while walking. My symptoms would increase ten fold by going into enclosed spaces, under flourescent lights, using a computer, etc. I was sick to my stomach 24/7. It was horrible! But now I’m better! :slight_smile:

dizzyinaz,

Yeah!! I am thrilled to hear that you are starting to feel better! I was wondering how you were doing since you hadn’t posted in a while. That is such great news. I know you must be so relieved to be feeling somewhat back to yourself again. I’m sure things will continue to improve as the weeks go on. For me, it took about 2-3 months to really feel 95-100% on Cymbalta. I am so happy for you. I know how bad you were feeling just a few months ago so it is so nice to hear that you found a medication that is helping. :slight_smile: I hope that you continue to feel better!!

:slight_smile: Colleen

dizzyinaz - that is such GREAT news! I am thrilled for you. Just wondering what dose of Nortriptyline are you on. I took it in the past but only got up to 20mg, which apparently is a very low dose.

Hi Dizzynaz,
Another success story. Thank you. Gives us such hope that one day maybe life can return to almost normal. I was wondering how soon you responded to your med and what symptoms you had?
Keep feeling well…lisa

That’s great news! We do need some positive stories around here :slight_smile:

If I may ask, though: what kind of monitor do you have? I find it very weird that so many have trouble with computers, unless, of course, everybody with that problem uses CRT monitors (the big, fat ones). My visual sensitivity is through the roof, especially when it comes to flicker (SECONDS on an old TV (50 Hz?) can make me feel really sick at its worst), but also any kind of visual motion, including typing or reading long texts… However, computers with TFT monitors don’t bother me at all except for the visual motion - and I can’t blame that on the computer/monitor. :slight_smile:

It is so nice to read when someone gets so much better!! Enjoy every minute of it.

Can you let us know how much Nori you take?

You must really be enjoying your little one again!

Best, Sally

Hey dizzyinaz,

That’s terrific news! So glad you’re finally putting this junk behind you. What made you decide to give nortriptyline a go? I can’t recall which physician you were seeing, No doubt you will keep getting closer to 100% as the weeks pass and you’ll be a permanent success story.

Tran –- the whole monitor thing is a strange one. They have been an on and off problem for me for 6 years. What I found is that it doesn’t matter what the resolution was or refresh rate was but a few things do have an effect: the manufacturer and the contrast ratio for example. Apple screens are all ok for me, but bizarrely when I loaded Windows 7 onto the same screen the different lettering and layout (slightly finer) set me off. The bigger the screen is the more likely it will make me dizzy. Dell LCDs are intolerable for me as are Samsungs. Of course the more symptomatic I am the more likely I won’t be able to handle a screen; typing will also set me off (following the keys with my eyes). All of this gets better over time though which suggests some sort of compensation happens.

Scott

Thanks everyone for your support! :slight_smile: It’s been so great lately not to feel as bad as I was, that was a living nightmare!
I’m currently on 50 mg of Norti everday. I started at 10 mg and within three days titrated up to 20. I waited a week and then added 10 more mg until I reached 50 mg. Around 30 mg is when I started feeling a little better. I actually could feel the gravity return to my legs sometimes. Besides the disequilibrium, I still have visual symptoms (I see spots, flashes,etc) and my vision still shifts somewhat when I walk, but its better then it was.

You all are in my thoughts. This illness is so horrible!

I am so happy you are feeling well! I believe you have young children, too. (please correct me if I am mistaken) It must feel nice to be able to keep up with them, take them palces and enjoy the summer. I, too, have been feeling very well the last few weeks - not quite sure why, though. Dr. Rauch, who told me I had classic signs of MAV, wants me on a “whole foods” type of diet. He told me to shop the periphery of the market - don’t go down the aisles. I have been doing my best with the diet. I have changed my meds quite a bit, too so not sure what is helping but I just hope it lasts!!! Glad to hear you are doing well. Kristen

kritlyn - that is good news. I see Dr. Rauch august 11th. was he kind during the appt. what meds are you on?

— Begin quote from ____

He told me to shop the periphery of the market - don’t go down the aisles.

— End quote

Interesting way to put it … never thought of it like that but it’s true. All the junk is down the aisles. S

— Begin quote from “scott”

— Begin quote from ____

He told me to shop the periphery of the market - don’t go down the aisles.

— End quote

Interesting way to put it … never thought of it like that but it’s true. All the junk is down the aisles. S

— End quote

Heard that on the news a week or so ago…the food that is good for you is on the outside isles, fresh fruit , vegetables…all the processed stuff is down the aisles, at least that is the way they set it up here in the USA. Got read the labels to make sure there is nothing in the foods that may be a trigger…never assume.

Dr. Rauch wants me to try a diet of only whole foods for a few months before starting a preventative med. He also wants me to start a regular exercise program which I have not yet done. He knows I am on the Heal Your Headache diet but thought I should try a whole foods diet. Prior to getting dizzy I would get a headache if I ate chocolate, sulfites or nutrasweet. The headache was not too intense and relieved with one dose of Ibuprofen. He told me a headache in response to those foods was pretty much diagnostic of migraine. I found that interesting as I have never read that either (except perhaps in the Heal your Headache book). I am not sure why I have made some improvement.,perhaps the diet or perhaps the med changes. I decreased protonix, stopped singulair and started claritin… all meds for asthma/allergy.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Hi Kritlyn,

Are you able to elaborate more on the diet Rauch discussed? Did he give you a hand-out or was it more to just stick with “whole foods” and shop the periphery of the supermarket? The more I hear about this the more I wonder if I can do better –– actually I know I can do better. I am a shocker at slipping in a nasty occasionally and then paying the price. Never learn.

Also, was he specific about what type of exercise or just general daily aerobic stuff? Again, I have fallen off the wagon here. As soon as winter arrived in Sydney all of my walking went down the drain because it’s dark, windy and cold when I get home after work.

Scott

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Kritlyn,

Are you able to elaborate more on the diet Rauch discussed? Did he give you a hand-out or was it more to just stick with “whole foods” and shop the periphery of the supermarket? The more I hear about this the more I wonder if I can do better –– actually I know I can do better. I am a shocker at slipping in a nasty occasionally and then paying the price. Never learn.

Also, was he specific about what type of exercise or just general daily aerobic stuff? Again, I have fallen off the wagon here. As soon as winter arrived in Sydney all of my walking went down the drain because it’s dark, windy and cold when I get home after work.

Scott

— End quote

Being very strict with the diet has made a difference for me and I try and add the exercise but have not done it in a while but felt better when I did during the fall, it is so hot here now hard to get out and take a walk.