I am new here and in need of help:)

Hi dizzy3,I have jumped into a water from about 10 meters.The problem was it was not a sea water but a cave and the water was very dense dont know how to describe this but the impact of getting into this water felt different somehow.I belive that while I was entering the water something freak had happened because symptoms started just when I came out I just did not feel right.The c5 moves forward but luckly did not damage my spinalcord.It is pushing in but drs telling me I should wait more for operation as I dont have loss of power in my arms!15 years is a long time ,did you have mri currently to see if there is any problem.I am trying to manage my neck at the moment ie pt,massage etc.which helps to a degree.I have read o other problems people with degenerative neck problems having dizziness and read a few research papers on cervical dizzness ,unfortunately even on the papers they could not explain the mechanisms of cervical dizziness just explaining as in our neck and bones we have sensory information which is connected to the balance centres.I am trying to pinpoint my exact problem so I suppose I can focus on it but I suppose it is hard to be sure.Hope you are feeling better at the moment.

Interesting. I have never mentioned this but when i lie down on my bad side for extended periods of time and wake up with my outer ear feeling red hot. In any case do try the Amitriptyline and you should see benefits from the constant drunk sensation.

Also throw in mild aerobic exercises for 20 minutes per day and they have helped me a lot.

Selina,

FYI

This woman believed she got ear trauma from jumping in a pool:

https://www.mvertigo.org/t/another-perspective-but-so-close-to-the-mav-experience-plf-hydrops/15266

She went on to largely recover, though unfortunately I have failed to make contact with her to find out how she is doing now.

One thing to stress: PLF’s sound scary but these days they are thought to spontaneously heal almost all of the time, so don’t get anxious about those. What they leave behind, however, is a fluid imbalance that takes time to resolve (hence my comment above).

In any case I think it’s pretty clear that something happened to you and its precipitated your condition.

I really don’t like the way some parts of the medical industry seems to ignore the obvious these days!

thanks getbetter.I am doing light cardio on my good days at the moment and my neck exercises and walk.I am trying amitriptyline for the past week.I dont usually like using medicines as I am scared it might make my tinnitus worst but I am going for it this time and being brave:) I do have that if I lie on my ear for too long it will ache so much and hotish.I never had that before the insident as well.

Yes yes been there many times.

Find out what makes your symptoms worse and try to avoid/mitigate them. For example do they get worse around your periods might signal an hormonal link. Too much time on computer does it make me worse. Too much driving in car , does it make it worse.

Also i forgot to ask you this. My doctor uses this question. Do you wake up everyday feeling worse and does it get better during the day ? He says if the answer is yes then it is an inner ear thingy.

This is interesting.Your positive comments gives me hope thank you.I have to believe I can get better I suppose as it got better before.They too told be in the beginning that my anxiety was the problem:)

Anxiety is always a problem in MAV because there is so much uncertainty. On top of that the brain naturally escalates to a state of anxiety because of the crisis in your vestibular system.

On top of THAT you can get depressed. It’s the most crazy condition!

Recovery takes so long that it’s extremely challenging to maintain a decent level of hope. Maintaining hope is absolutely critical for your sense of wellbeing.

Hence my comment about looking back significantly to notice changes.

Also a good strategy is accepting your current situation as much as possible (whilst not dismissing the prospect of ongoing improvements) so you don’t beat yourself up too much.

2 Likes

Thanks getbetter ,my symptoms I think gets worste with more sitimulation this could be from too much going around me to going into shops to engaging with people too much.Basicaly anything that makes my brain and my body tired.If in the morning I wake up with bit clear head and not like I drunk a bottle of wisky the night before it means I will have an ok day unless I push too much and I like pushing as I am or used to be very active person.Like 2 days ago I got too excited because I was feeling better and I did too much 14 hour long day the suffered for 3 days after.I suppose if I be more careful I might have more ok days which means less of everything which is also mentaly downgrading me.

1 Like

Yep. Walking through malls or supermarkets can be extremely uncomfortable.

Your experience is very much like mine. I wake up okay and feel like rubbish once i am exposed to all kind of triggers. I know better than to push myself beyond 8 hours a day as i need to function the next day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Selena, you have a known spinal issue. So do I. Have you seen an Atlas Orthogonal chiropractor? When my C1 is out and is squishing my brain stem, MAV for me is uncontrollable.

1 Like

Hi Selina, I have very similar symptoms to you except without the tinnitus. I started off thinking it was my neck (I have a bulging torn disc at C6/7) but now I’ve been diagnosed with vestibular migraine, though I know bad posture and neck tension makes it worse. I just wanted to reassure you about the caloric test. It can be a useful test to have done and although it causes temporary nystagmus, this is a healthy reaction and doesn’t last more than a minute. If you decide to have it, just relax and know it might feel a bit strange but it won’t hurt you.

1 Like

Suggest you ‘google’ the term “Pacing yourself”. And apply. It’s hard but it comes to us all eventually.

My brother walked this road years ago. Doubt there will be an ‘explanation’ for dizziness until the experts have worked out how we balance ‘normally’ which even in 2019 believe it or not is still a work in progress. Helen

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Caloric test

Hi everyone thanks for all your answers and suggestions.Sorry I could not reply before as I was not allowed to send too many messages as a new joined person :blush:I am also thankful that I found this site full of such nice and helpful people.Thank you

Hi flutters I looked into atlas treatment but there is only one person in London(where I live ) and she quoted me ÂŁ700 for the first session inc xrays and treatment.It is bit steep for me at the moment as I cant work much.But I would like to have it done,thank you

Hi getbetter,do you mind sharing what diagnosis you have,I was out for 8 hour s today and now home and resting.:grimacing:i suppose I should be grateful

When this all started my tubes I guess was blocked I didnt know back then but remembering I was constantly moving my jaw or opening my mouth to move something in there.It still happens but not as much.One othe thing I realize is that while descending on planes opening my mouth wide feels so good it almost feels like something opened up so strange.People look at me weird on descents.I am realizing now when I write my sypmtoms in here I actually do have a few ear issues I guess.It started looking to me more ear issue than mav type of thing but ofcourse I do not know.

1 Like

I initially had a Vestibular Neuritis diagnosis. I responded well to Prednisone and was symptom free. One month after stopping the steroids my symptoms crept back in. After 1 year of trying VRT and Sertraline(for anxiety) eventually was diagnosed with VM by a neuro-otologist. Was on Amitriptyline 20mg for one year and was better but not well enough. Added effexor and things got better. It is still a project management for my migraine avoiding triggers and the effexor has made me more functional.

1 Like

I hope you’re able to try someday. It’s very gentle and make a huge difference in my health. BTW, I won’t let a regular chiropractor work on my neck. I’m just too fragile for the regular crack and pop.