Inderal: Next Stop on the Medicine Express

Well, looks like the Medicine Express is making another stop, this time at Inderal Station. Here’s hoping the train actually stops this time, rather than just derailing. (OK, that’s enough of THAT analogy.) This is certainly one of the older drugs … maybe it will prove useful.

I’m not completely clear on how calcium-channel blockers differ from beta blockers. Anyone care to explain a little?

Curious that Dr. Hecox didn’t understand the rationale behind Effexor or verapamil, considering he’s prescribing a drug that’s (from what I can tell) not all that different from the latter!

What is he treating you for? Does he now agree with the MAV dx? I have “spoken” to many who are doing quite nicely on Propranolol. I wish you luck.

Welcome to the club! I just started this med a week ago today. The doc prescribed 60 mg once a day for me. How long do you think you will give it? Yesterday morning I would have said this drug is beginning to work for me but today I’m not so sure but that might be my nerves getting the best of me. I will admit that in the last couple of days I haven’t had any BAD headaches, just my usual daily sinus type. I am moving around a little easier, the rocking and swaying aren’t as strong as a couple of weeks ago, so I have some hope that my spell is calming down. I take it at night so I’m not sure what side effects it’s having. I am having trouble falling asleep but that’s not all that new. Let me (us) know how you make out!!

Hi Lisa,

God only knows why he gave it to me. He hasn’t explained. (He also hasn’t yet said anything about the results of any of last week’s tests.) Presumably, it’s for relief of some of the neurological symptoms, but I don’t know. I am not so sure he even KNOWS of MAV, and probably wouldn’t Dx me as such even if he DID know of it.

I guess I’m just lucky that it happens to be one of Hain and Cherchi’s top picks for MAV.

Apparently, from what I’ve read on the forum archives, some people have also found success with Diamox, the other drug that (yes, still) I am supposed to try eventually.

Are you able to ask him why? I would think it is your right as a patient to understand why a doc is giving you a particular drug. I am, though, glad to hear that he gave you a drug that also treats MAV. Best of luck.

Beta blockers act by altering the transmission of nerve impulses from the brain to certain parts of the body. They also affect conduction in the human heart, and thus decrease heart rate and pulse. In addition, Beta Blockers lower blood pressure. It is not known precisely how they do this, however it is known that Beta Blockers do cause a relaxation and possibly dilation of blood vessels.

Calcium channel blockers act by lowering blood pressure and decreasing the workload of the heart. They act on both the blood vessels and the heart. Calcium channel blockers change the way that calcium ions move into the cells of the blood vessels and heart. They do this by altering what are called “calcium channels” in the membranes of the cells. These channels are the gates through which the ions pass. Calcium ions have an effect on the smooth muscle tissue, and the contractability thereof, in the heart, blood vessels and other areas of the body.

I know people who have had a problem with “Inderal” but were OK on propanalol (same thing). I found propranalol helped but gave me insomnia over 40 mg a day and loose bowels.

I found propranalol one of the easier ones to tolerate. Hope it works for you.

Christine

— Begin quote from “georgekoch”

Hi Lisa,

God only knows why he gave it to me. He hasn’t explained. (He also hasn’t yet said anything about the results of any of last week’s tests.) Presumably, it’s for relief of some of the neurological symptoms, but I don’t know. I am not so sure he even KNOWS of MAV, and probably wouldn’t Dx me as such even if he DID know of it.

I guess I’m just lucky that it happens to be one of Hain and Cherchi’s top picks for MAV.

Apparently, from what I’ve read on the forum archives, some people have also found success with Diamox, the other drug that (yes, still) I am supposed to try eventually.

— End quote

Fortunately, there’s lots of ways to treat this. Over 100 drugs as far a drug therapy goes. Naturally, none of us wants a protracted drug-after-drug trial, but at the same time, there’s always hope because of so many different treatments.

Hang in there.