Is it dangerous to take add Tylenol PM to my drug cocktail?

I am currently on 75 mg of Effexor and just started 240 mg of verapamil and was having a hard time sleeping so I started taking just 1 Tylenol pm at night and it has really improved my sleep which has been very poor since MAV decided to rent a room in my head!! :evil: But an hour after I take it, I feel really woozy and very drugged. Than I fall asleep. Sometimes when I take it, my heart rate increases. But I desperately need it and would even love taking two of them so I can sleep longer.

I know a lot of you probably take even more meds than me and I am wondering if anyone thinks this is a dangerous at combo? I am really feeling some significant improvements from a good nights sleep plus the fex.

Need advice, especially from those that have done this or have similar situation?

Thanks so much. You are all my rock!!!

I think you’re safe. Besides acetaminophen, the other ingredient is essentially what is in Benadryl.

You could try just cutting it in half, then you might get the sleep without the increased heart rate and drugged feeling. I do this a lot with drugs, especially those that help you sleep.

Christine

Hi mary,
So good to hear you are feeling much better on the Effexor and Verapamil. I am still shocked that you can take such high doses. Regarding sleeping aids. I had the same problem with not sleeping well, and I called dr. Hain in Chicago to ask if Diphenhydramine could be mixed with my Paxil and Nori. He said I COULD take it. I don’t take Excedrine PM or anything that has the medicine for pain PLUS the sleep aid, I just buy the sleep aid over the counter. It’s pure diphenhydramine. I just take one pill. That has made all the difference for me. I sleep pretty well now. Good luck, Mary. You are doing great. xoxo
Meredith Spinning lady

HI
Just FYI…Tylenol is really tough on the body…I think the liver and kidneys especially. If you are just looking for the sleep aid part, benadryl is probably better. I found melatonin worked well for me until my meds balanced me out and now I sleep better.
Kelley

Thanks for the info on Tylenol. I never knew it was bad for you. I had no idea that you could just buy a sleep aid. Where can I find those and what are they called?

Thanks so much.

— Begin quote from “Mavprincess/Mary”

I am currently on 75 mg of Effexor and just started 240 mg of verapamil and was having a hard time sleeping so I started taking just 1 Tylenol pm at night and it has really improved my sleep

— End quote

Hello Mary, I was experiencing a lot of pain and found Tylenol/acetaminophen (‘paracetamol’ in the UK) helped me sleep better at night as well as providing benefit during the day. I may be imagining it but I seem to find taking Tylenol helps even if there is only a trivial amount of ‘conscious’ pain.

I don’t know what interactions may be occurring in you but I have the general impression that it does not interfere a lot with other meds. In recommended doses it is said to be safer than most other pain killers but when taken in excess it is metabolised in an extremely toxic way and even a short period of excess can cause organ damage.

I’ve decided to keep on taking it but I always keep a close watch on the total daily amount.

Thanks Wexan. I appreciate the advice. Good to know there is another fan of Tylenol pm out there. :smiley:

I also asked my gp today and she said it was ok to take it as well. So here’s to sleeping. Yeah!!!

M

— Begin quote from “Mavprincess”

Thanks Wexan. I appreciate the advice. Good to know there is another fan of Tylenol pm out there. :smiley: I also asked my gp today and she said it was ok to take it as well. So here’s to sleeping.

— End quote

Mavprincess, many people will now think we’re crazy for liking something like Tylenol so passionately!!!

I watch out carefully for overdosing as that can be very serious. If you stay within the recommended dose then you can take it for a long time and, luckily, there are no cumulative adverse effects.

-Wexan

Yes it’s crazy how passionate I am about any drugs that will help with this crap. I used to be so anti drugs.

Anyway, my doctor said I could take up to 50mg of the Tylenol pm so woohoo.

M

— Begin quote from “Mavprincess”

I used to be so anti drugs.

— End quote

Isn’t it funny how MAV eventually breaks that in people? Some arrive as anti-drug or just terrified and by the time this beast is tamed we’re all pharmacology graduates. :lol:

Glad you consulted your doctor re the med combo. Don’t be afraid to quiz a pharmacist about your medicines either. 8)