Just eating anything at all is a trigger now :(

Anyone have this issue? Not sure if it’s some anticipatory effect, or maybe related to my jaw dysfunction (I have TMJ) but now everything I consume sets me off a little. I’m on a fairly strict elimination diet but just the act of eating causes a little flare up.

Oy. This disease. I want to kill it.

Suzanne can you liquidise your food for a week and see if that helps?

The more I learn about MAV the more I believe the ET is at the centre of it. If you upset the ET (like my dentist did recently) symptoms will flair up, I’ve learned. Perhaps TMJ can do that too?

2 Likes

You have any extraterrestrial causing your MAV? That actually makes PERFECT sense. Finally I understand.

Um, what’s ET?

2 Likes

The dentist was almost certainly human! Though he was wearing white boots which might have been hiding webbed feet! :lizard::rofl:

ET = Eustachian Tube

2 Likes

I also have this problem. Pretty much every meal sets me off, so I’ve given up following the elimination diet perfectly. Might as well have a little cheese if a bland salad is going to make me feel just as bad lol. But missing meals is an even bigger trigger for me, so I guess I really can’t win.

1 Like

Wow. I thought I would be the only one. And worse is that even the tiny increase in my Ami makes me ravenous. So I want to eat all day long but eating makes me dizzy :frowning:

If you can specifically link the nausea to the eating @Andy maybe is your man. There are several conditions which can cause such problems mostly linked via sugar but I’m not talking diabetes here. Not my forte but Andy seems pretty much well read up on such things.

Personally I’ve always found nausea and also GI issues are part of the VM condition. I recall having a constant feeling of nausea for many months when first chronic though I don’t associate it with eating specifically. Mine certainly wasn’t.

I was photophobic to varying degrees when first diagnosed but eventually became totally so for many months when my VM was at its most severe. The severity just went on getting worse until I couldn’t bear any light at all. As the neurologist said ‘Everything’s gone a bit hyper’. A master of understatement she was. Just maybe … it can be the same with other symptoms.

Yep my first couple months of MAV I lost 15lbs because I was scared of food.

2 Likes

I get your pain. When the neurologist put me on Topomax at 200 MG, I had such bad Gurd I was afraid to eat. All I could eat that didn’t make me sick was bread and water. No one should have to be afraid to eat.

whoa…this Topic makes me think of my diet. ;(

I have an excruciating time eating. In addition to motion sickness, the movement of chewing makes me incredibly dizzy immediately, even if I felt pretty good right beforehand. Does anyone have any tips for managing basic meals? I’m eating alone 99% of the time for now because the movement of others eating sets it off too.

1 Like

when i open my mouth and breathe sometimes, my left ear blows out and it sounds like there’s water in it. could this be ET dysfunction?

1 Like

I’ve had all kinds of weird fluid sensations that came on suddenly and then dissipated slowly over many years. I still get cracking and squishing sensation regularly now though.

1 Like

yeah thats how i would describe it. its like my left ear temporarily gets filled with water depending on how im moving my jaw/breathing simultaneously. i call it “blowing out” but I’ve never gotten a good explanation for it. It happens a lot when eating/chewing for me too. Maybe a TMJ thing?

1 Like

I have no idea and it never happened before things started to go wrong and no medic has once giving me a completely convincing explanation, most didn’t even try.

1 Like

Same. My ENT gave me a clean bill of ear health, so I’m completely in the dark regarding that

1 Like

Yeah sure, I’ve wondered for a long time whether chewing is a factor I also have TMJ, head pressure after eating is a big problem for me almost exclusively happens after food and is not present first thing in the morning before food.